Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I think the Petes are on the hook for 2 2nd's and a 3rd if Merkley plays in the O this year. They're not gonna trade him for LESS than they'll owe Guelph just to keep Merkley and SJ happy. I think there's a 33% chance he'd replace Wilde perfectly and rip apart the O from the blue line. A 33% chance he becomes a disruption and is released, wasting whatever was traded for him and a 33% chance he implodes the locker room. The reward is high but the risk is great. I'm not much of a gambler, I'd pass, but I'd be nervous if Saginaw acquired him on the cheap.

Heres the rub. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks Petersbourgh has to pay have to be paid if San Jose sends him back, that is essentially a sunk cost. There is absolutely 0% chance San Jose sends Merkley back to Petersbourgh and they force him to sit for a season because they wont move him because of the picks owed. Agents now scoff at sending thier clients to Petersbourgh, imagine if they literally hold a kid hostage for a year. Not going to happen. GMs know this and arent going to over pay more than they have to. Petersbourgh really over played thier hand by not inviting him back this season and letting this all blow up in the media. They are going to get pennies on the dollar they should get (because he is a good offensive talent) but every knows they literally have to move him.

Reactions: Finster8

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Heres the rub. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks Petersbourgh has to pay have to be paid if San Jose sends him back, that is essentially a sunk cost.

Is that the way the conditions were actually spelled out? The reason I ask?

A few years ago the Rangers traded Brent Peterson to Oshawa and were to get a couple picks if he was returned for his OA season in the OHL. New Jersey sent him back to the Oshawa. The Gens said no thanks. So Peterson went on to play CIS in his OA season.

Even though he was sent back to the O, the Rangers did not get the compensatory picks.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Is that the way the conditions were actually spelled out? The reason I ask?

A few years ago the Rangers traded Brent Peterson to Oshawa and were to get a couple picks if he was returned for his OA season in the OHL. New Jersey sent him back to the Oshawa. The Gens said no thanks. So Peterson went on to play CIS in his OA season.

Even though he was sent back to the O, the Rangers did not get the compensatory picks.

The conditions vary based on the article you find. Some say as soon as he is sent back, others say if he plays in the OHL. Either way they are going to have to pay them unless its specifically about playing in Petersbourgh. He is going to be sent back as he wont make San Jose and if he is sent back he is going to have to be traded. They arent going to put him on waivers and get nothing and they arent going to force him to sit the season to avoid paying the picks.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
The conditions vary based on the article you find. Some say as soon as he is sent back, others say if he plays in the OHL. Either way they are going to have to pay them unless its specifically about playing in Petersbourgh. He is going to be sent back as he wont make San Jose and if he is sent back he is going to have to be traded. They arent going to put him on waivers and get nothing and they arent going to force him to sit the season to avoid paying the picks.

Plus not to mention hes coming off of a concussion in San Jose this preseason. Even lessening his potential value.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I think the Petes are on the hook for 2 2nd's and a 3rd if Merkley plays in the O this year. They're not gonna trade him for LESS than they'll owe Guelph just to keep Merkley and SJ happy. I think there's a 33% chance he'd replace Wilde perfectly and rip apart the O from the blue line. A 33% chance he becomes a disruption and is released, wasting whatever was traded for him and a 33% chance he implodes the locker room. The reward is high but the risk is great. I'm not much of a gambler, I'd pass, but I'd be nervous if Saginaw acquired him on the cheap.

London got him for a 3rd and 2 conditionals. Like I said no way a team was going to overpay

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Good deal for London I would say. And you can bet that the Hunters won't be messing around with the Merkley nonsense. Hunters will change his career path in the right way.
The deal gives Peterborough the pics back that they had to pay back to Guelph. However for London he should provide some solid defense and help the young defense on the team. Still this could be a steal for London if he can mature into a leader.
Saginaw was in the running but even at that price I am glad he is not here. We still need that top 4 D to make us better. DD plan B get Tucker from Barrie doubt Wilde returns.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
The deal gives Peterborough the pics back that they had to pay back to Guelph. However for London he should provide some solid defense and help the young defense on the team. Still this could be a steal for London if he can mature into a leader.
Saginaw was in the running but even at that price I am glad he is not here. We still need that top 4 D to make us better. DD plan B get Tucker from Barrie doubt Wilde returns.

Plan B does not skate well enough for the west and the Spirit. West forwards would expose things in a hurry

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
London got him for a 3rd and 2 conditionals. Like I said no way a team was going to overpay
Well, you nailed it. His agent confirmed he used a no trade clause in his contract to steer him towards London though. Rumors were that Saginaw and Windsor were interested too, so it's possible there could have been a bidding war to see who could acquire him for the least. I wouldn't be surprised to hear more was on the table than what London offered. Let's just hope he continues to be the Ryan Merkley we've all heard about and often seen.

Reactions: bcspragu

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Well, you nailed it. His agent confirmed he used a no trade clause in his contract to steer him towards London though. Rumors were that Saginaw and Windsor were interested too, so it's possible there could have been a bidding war to see who could acquire him for the least. I wouldn't be surprised to hear more was on the table than what London offered. Let's just hope he continues to be the Ryan Merkley we've all heard about and often seen.

Yeah it was confirmed today that the deal is a 3rd rounder and either a 2nd or 3rd rounder down the road depending him Merkley's tenure in London. Still less than what Peterborough owes Guelph. My guess would be he veto'd Saginaw who I think was probably offering a tad more than London.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I went to the game tonight. Saginaw looked really, really good. Almost started to look disinterested at the start of the 3rd, but other than that they looked good.

Or maybe Sarnia is just that bad? Not sure, my first game of the season.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Ilya Solovyov had a goal and 4 assists and has 8pts in 3 games. Nice pick up by DD. Giroux 2, Coskey, Jenkins, Busdeker, Smith, Millman, and Porco in a 9-3 victory over Sarnia. We scored our first goal (3) in he 3rd period in 3 games. Smith had his first goal of his OHL career and was set up by Bloom 1st OHL point. Wonder who received the puck lol?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I went to the game tonight. Saginaw looked really, really good. Almost started to look disinterested at the start of the 3rd, but other than that they looked good.

Or maybe Sarnia is just that bad? Not sure, my first game of the season.
Sarnia here... you’re right on both counts - Spirit good; Sarnia not.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Ilya Solovyov had a goal and 4 assists and has 8pts in 3 games. Nice pick up by DD. Giroux 2, Coskey, Jenkins, Busdeker, Smith, Millman, and Porco in a 9-3 victory over Sarnia. We scored our first goal (3) in he 3rd period in 3 games. Smith had his first goal of his OHL career and was set up by Bloom 1st OHL point. Wonder who received the puck lol?

Shootout to determine who gets it.

Reactions: Finster8

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Big game tonight, could be a tone setter for a season long West Division battle. I envy those of you that get to see it live.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
Soo is going to be good, they have tons of skill on both sides, Saginaw has lots of holes, dave Drinkill should of committed to Brady Gilmore he is a piece of the pie we r missing ,not enough goal scorers on Saginaw in a 5 on 5 game
We look good on pp/pk which is huge but 5 on 5 not so good,Perfetti should not be playing center you a limiting his scoring options , love budssker but not a goal scorer,Giroux is a grinder but also not a true goal scorer, porco has not changed his game , try’s to use his speed to beat everyone and puts himself out of position to make plays for his teammates, same for the other lines with Katic/golden/ big guys but struggle on break out once in there own zone there ok ,but again not goal scorers , dd should of put more effort to go after merkley he is a game changer

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I agree with you on the lack of true goal scoring ability. Coskey, Perfetti and maybe Jenkins ( still not convinced with him as yet ). Grinders, big guys who don't play big, and potentials, make up the rest.

The overage problem came up and bit them. When the talk of moving Gilmour ( a true loss ) came up, could you not blame him for heading in another direction. These kids aren't paid pro's, so it is justified for him to do what he did.

At present moment, they have been caught napping, afraid to make a move because it now comes as weakness...and the rest of the league smells it.

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
I agree with you on the lack of true goal scoring ability. Coskey, Perfetti and maybe Jenkins ( still not convinced with him as yet ). Grinders, big guys who don't play big, and potentials, make up the rest.

The overage problem came up and bit them. When the talk of moving Gilmour ( a true loss ) came up, could you not blame him for heading in another direction. These kids aren't paid pro's, so it is justified for him to do what he did.

At present moment, they have been caught napping, afraid to make a move because it now comes as weakness...and the rest of the league smells it.
They could of secured Brady ,but they wouldn’t give him a 100% offer that he would have a spot ,i have a bad feeling that this team will be selling after 20 games ,you will loose Perfetti and Lennox for u18 tournament ,our back up goalie?maybe he plays tonight so we can get a good look,we shall see how we do against a depleted Niagara team

three dog night

May 3, 2014
They could of secured Brady ,but they wouldn’t give him a 100% offer that he would have a spot ,i have a bad feeling that this team will be selling after 20 games ,you will loose Perfetti and Lennox for u18 tournament ,our back up goalie?maybe he plays tonight so we can get a good look,we shall see how we do against a depleted Niagara team
Niagara not depleted

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I seriously doubt that this team will have difficulty scoring goals. There is too much talent and depth to not be one of the top scoring teams in the league.

The problems in the game last night were team defense and goaltending in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad