Saginaw Spirit 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I hope and assume the poster wasn't zinging you, but it took me a couple of re reads to think he appreciates your opinion... I think. HA HA!

A. He is a Beast!

B. he skates well

C. strong in front of net

D true defensive defenseman

E. needs to work on offensive skills

Every one of the above I can agree with as I have seen him. Finster hates this when I say it...If Saginaw poops the bed early next year, he's gone for a boatload of picks...he's that good and valuable for a contending team...a ROCK!

Oh, here's his stats... 61 4 14 18 9 46

Your logic does make sense. I just think his leadership would help the already young D core, however we do need the assets he would give us if we did trade him. Especially if we have a similar start like this year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Your logic does make sense. I just think his leadership would help the already young D core, however we do need the assets he would give us if we did trade him. Especially if we have a similar start like this year.

(Saginaw?) needs the assets that Middleton could return in a trade? I counted 22 picks in rounds 2 & 3 over the next five drafts. And, there's a few excellent prospects chosen over the past two drafts that may still play in the OHL at some point.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
(Saginaw?) needs the assets that Middleton could return in a trade? I counted 22 picks in rounds 2 & 3 over the next five drafts. And, there's a few excellent prospects chosen over the past two drafts that may still play in the OHL at some point.

I am hoping they get a top 3 forward who can put the puck in the net. As far as those excellent prospects go maybe Jenkins. Wilde has shown no interest.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA

Yes, and continually stock piling those assests is how the London Knights thrive. They always have a few picks available to pick up a player when needed. A good model to follow for consistent success.

I was opposed to this trading of quality players away, until you look at the long term goal.One great year and done is not what Saginaw is looking for at this point.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Yes, and continually stock piling those assests is how the London Knights thrive. They always have a few picks available to pick up a player when needed. A good model to follow for consistent success.

I was opposed to this trading of quality players away, until you look at the long term goal.One great year and done is not what Saginaw is looking for at this point.

It helps to have a good team too. Unlike Saginaw and Flint, London can get just about anyone/everyone to report. The 9,000 seat arena doesn't hurt either.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
With only two 98's on our roster and Nemo coming back is no guarantee only leaves Mids. For us to invest in a few 98's for next season will only help. Our 99's are an underrated group. If 18-19 is our year to advance a few rounds our OA's will be important. We have to improve next year with the addition of some skilled forwards and veteran defense. Does Cormier return or do we develop Lamour and Bonello? Jenkins, Wilde, and Goldowski would automatically change the dynamics but what are the chances? Time to use some assets and get out of the basement. We have the 4th pick in the OHL Draft and an import pick or 2 that may help immediately. I hope they draft guys who are going to show up for camp.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I agree. No more wasting high draft picks on US players who just use it as a feather in their cap and head off to NTDP. There is just a slim chance now that we might just see one of them for one season.

Scouting and drafting is so darn iffy on any players other then the sure things. That is why I feel draft mainly Canadian kids, who will stay in system at Junior B level, until ready. Holy cow, I'm an American and I'm saying that.

The talented American kid always has the NCAA's as his fallback, even knowing that he'lll leave the moment the time is ready. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of US players who would love an OHL shot, just not the ones being told they are all locked for the big College programs.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Which of Bennett, Hodgson and Garcia do you see turning pro or going off to university?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Hodgson. He's got a pros body, plays a good all around game...

I agree to a certain extent. He 's big and strong enough to develop, possesses a pro level shot but lacks at present the skating skills and speed necessary to play at the next level. He is a late bloomer and has improved greatly from last season. Hopefully he can focus on that part of his game along with developing stronger physical corner play.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
My guess is Bennett and Hodgson get NHL camp invites this year, not sure what comes out of those invites.

Hodgson needs to improve his skating before he has a lengthy pro career, but could be a pretty decent goal scorer in the AHL at the very least.

Bennett is a worker no doubt about it, probably the guy I most want to see make a pro career out of hockey. Worked his ass off for 5 years in Saginaw, but injuries always came at the worst times. Could be a bottom line guy energy guy on a bad AHL team or a fan favorite in the ECHL. Not sure where he wants to take hockey, but I think getting a degree playing in CIS might be best for him long term.

Garcia, according to chatter around the rink, supposedly had an offer to play pro hockey about halfway through this year (ECHL I believe). Not sure where that stands, but agree CIS is probably best for him.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I gave my brief opinion and l am not a pro scout, so if you dont like my comments than just ignore my opinion. If you read what I said you would be smart enough to see he is developing and most people on this forum would check the Spirit Stats wich is not that hard to do.

Whoa! Now you have me re-reading what I quoted. Really had to try and figure out between the lines that there was any offense.

I still don't have a clue what the Spirt Stats wich is. And honestly not interested in Saginaw. You have a slight curiosity about a draft pick, hit Google and come up with nothing. All I've ever found is old articles that keep popping up and flat rate stats which don't tell you the whole story. So, yes I was much appreciated hearing someone's opinion rather then reading how many goals a defensive d-man scored.

Sorry for any misinterpretation of my intent.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Saginaw is set-up real nicely with 4 of the first 27 picks in the OHL Draft including three 2nd round picks. They cannot afford to take a gamble like they did last year with Jenkins and Wilde not reporting (at least so far).

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw is set-up real nicely with 4 of the first 27 picks in the OHL Draft including three 2nd round picks. They cannot afford to take a gamble like they did last year with Jenkins and Wilde not reporting (at least so far).

With 4 picks I'd say they can gamble with one of those picks because there's only so many roster spots but just don't make it the first round pick.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
With 4 picks I'd say they can gamble with one of those picks because there's only so many roster spots but just don't make it the first round pick.

Exactly. Can only dress 4 16 year olds anyway. Might as well take 4 sure things at 4, 24, 25 and 41 and gamble on pick 27. Or use one of those high 2nds on whatever goalie the scouts prefer and have them play JR A for a year (the best thing for goalies in my opinion0. Can never have enough of them in the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad