Saginaw Spirit 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Big 2 pts for both teams, we could be 2pts behind Flint wich not to long ago was something that seemed a long way off even to consider. I hope Cormier gets the start.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Oh yes, we are winning... That was a depleted Spirfires team we beat last night, so don't go getting your hopes up. Its nice to see the team as presently configured doing well, but once again, is the fanbase content with another season of just making the playoffs, with the carrot on the stick of next season.

Yet another season where the best players are traded away for that "future elusive season" does not wash with me. If your are content to see a team make a push for the final spot year in and year out... then expect more of the same. Now the chant is " wait for 2018"!

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Good try but still to many horrible penalties. Spinnozzi hits the smallest guy on the team to the head. This is why you need role players. I wish he would hit Mids or Davies if he was in the lineup make it more challenging.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
A DUMB penalty at the end of the game by Bollers to allow London to have a power play goal and wreck a well deserved shutout attempt by Cormier!

Don't get all too excited about the win, as some of the Knights showed up having taken DUMB penalty stupid pills as well, and handed the opportunity on a silver platter..

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
A DUMB penalty at the end of the game by Bollers to allow London to have a power play goal and wreck a well deserved shutout attempt by Cormier!

Don't get all too excited about the win, as some of the Knights showed up having taken DUMB penalty stupid pills as well, and handed the opportunity on a silver platter..

I've never seen your posts before today, so I don't have a lot to go on, but you strike me as someone who would never have anything positive to say. My goodness man, your team is fighting for a playoff spot and you just knocked off the first place team in the league (going into the game) London has the best powerplay in the league and Saginaw's PK is 18th and you held them to 14%! The Spirit have the 15th ranked powerplay and went 3/9!

This is cause for celebration! Saginaw capitalized on their chances and didn't get caught up in the crap. Well deserved win

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Yes Otto I am a realist. I am happy for both the wins commented on recently here Windsor and last nights London.

My point is this...it was a depleted Spits team that handled us with ease, 0-4, the very next game.

As far as last night...come on, your team spent played stupid. I will revel when we outshoot your team and our goalie doesn't have to stand on his head to do it.

I am not content to beat a top team on their bad night and I want fans to know it. Too many in our fanbase seem content for another "shot" at a playoff spot. Thats all we get here and I'm sick of it. Yes we traded our top player to you for future draft picks. We did it last year also. I am supposed to feel estatic that with all of managements moves another shot at the last playoff spot awaits.

No Otto, I am happy for the kids getting a win, but getting TIRED of "wait till next year"!

Last edited:

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
and as far as my other negativity...slashing somebody with 2 minutes to go when you should be doing your all to get the goalie his shutout...

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
and as far as my other negativity...slashing somebody with 2 minutes to go when you should be doing your all to get the goalie his shutout...

https://youtu.be/YJYkRZzymMc

You make it sound like it was an intentional slash and the guy list his cool. It was nothing more than incidental contact. Great effort by your team if all you have to complain about the game is a late penalty.

If you want to blame anyone, blame your announcer for jinxing the team.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
An upper handed win 4-2 last night over the Otters. If no moves are made at the trading deadline...this is going to be a team NOBODY will want as a first round opponent!
That was said by me (amazing ) on 1/8/17

You see Otto, I havn't always been so negative! :D

The team as constituted before the trade deadline could have been a good one if allowed to gel, but it was saddled with a bad start. I still feel that they have one of the better defense units in the league and a quality #1 goalie. Could it have won the whole shebang...doubtful.

I love that we picked up Hayden Davis on D but gave up another good player in Maksimov.

Our top draft picks are all tied up ( and I do mean financially ) playing for USNTDP so maybe we see them in 2018-19.

You see here in Saginaw management sells the future and short shifts the present.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
You see here in Saginaw management sells the future and short shifts the present.

I know you have not posted for very long. But the Saginaw management has not been able to figure out the best approach with being a small market US team within the OHL. We used get burned in the draft picking players that would not report to us. Then we would trade their rights for whatever we could get, which wasn't much. Later, we started to draft the best players we thought would report. Naturally, these were not players other teams would use a top pick on, so it looked liked we were overspending (using a 1st rd pick for a 2nd rd level player). But better to overspend then throw it away.

Now, there is the defective player rule, which entices teams to draft the best player. If our top pick does not report, and we trade him before the season starts, we get the picks plus another 1st round compensation pick in the next draft (someone correct me if I am wrong).

This past year, we drafted highly rated players. However, like Brandon Saad, they are likely not going to report until their draft year. But they will come in the 2018/2019 season. So it looks like we are going to build on that.

So I expect mediocrity next season, with the management assembling the pieces for the following season. If we had the community perks like London (great schools, 9000+ packed arena, 300,000 people in the area to watch televised games), we would not have to work as hard to get players to come here, by draft or revoking no trade clauses. As it is, we have to settle for the years when we can get "our turn". It is how the smaller markets in the OHL do it. They can either have high season followed by terrible seasons. Or, like us, have a 13 year playoff streak but rarely get past the first round.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
twinsdad,

Thank you for your dead on synopsis as to what is going on with the Spirit.

I can understand it but at the same time want to scream at the sometimes obvious futility of it all. I really believe that we were a player or so away this year from rounding into a more mid level team. My feeling that going the consistent mid level improvement approach would show equal results to "shooting the moon" one year success in attracting players.

Don't get me wrong, I know why Jenkins, Wilde, and Goldowski were drafted...hope that one may appear, but now its their draft year with an NCAA option.

Yes, I agree with you on taking lesser talent with those pick, but they might be here developing as well... and who knows a kids progression at this age.

Anyway a great post by you, and I hope the fan base is still there for this "magic" year.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
All I know is you all kicked our butt when it was really not a great time for us to have you do it. As noted earlier London did take their share of Stupid Pills pre-game but your boys were waiting for us and schooled them a little bit on what consistency needs to look like if we have a hope of going deep come the playoffs.

BAD Saginaw, BAD Saginaw......:cry: :cry:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Wings fan here - how is Hronek doing? Nobody replied in the prospects board so I'm gonna ask here. His stat line piqued me curiosity.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Wings fan here - how is Hronek doing? Nobody replied in the prospects board so I'm gonna ask here. His stat line piqued me curiosity.

He looks like the real deal. Could have easily played for the Griffins this year and done just fine. Great puck mover. Could see him put up 30-35 pts next year in GR. Between him Sarajarvi, Hicketts, and Cholowski, the Wings aren't short on offensive minded Dmem in their system.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He looks like the real deal. Could have easily played for the Griffins this year and done just fine. Great puck mover. Could see him put up 30-35 pts next year in GR. Between him Sarajarvi, Hicketts, and Cholowski, the Wings aren't short on offensive minded Dmem in their system.

Well the last notable defenseman we drafted was Kronwall back in the year 2000 ... its been almost two decades. We really need one of these guys to pan out! Hronek looks to be a pleasant surprise.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I like to tell people he reminds me of Sergei Gonchar. Great on his skates in all directions and as Kingpin stated, great with the puck...particularly at home on the PP. Has been making the odd mistake from time to time, coughing the puck up, but I attribute that in trying to do a bit too much with a weak team. Fun to watch.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
As stated obove,his offensive skills are excellent and has good vision moving the puck in both ends.
4 of his 9 goals are PP along with 33 assists is 42P in 45 games.
It has been a treat watching him develop into an even more skilled D-man. Future looks bright for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad