Saginaw Spirit 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
How does Niemelainen look?

Nemo is a very good skater and is still growing into his 6'6 frame. He is not as physical as Mids but not many players are. His game is still developing and is a big guy to beat coming down the wing. His skills on the offensive side will get better as he matures.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
First I should be looking up his DOB to see if he has another year. I personally think he would benefit from one more year of junior play. If he stays, that limits the Spirit to one European to add to their squad next season, because Honek will be gone.

If he decides to move up, a European league would suit him better and give him a chance to fill out and develop. He is not ready,in my opinion, to move up into the Oilers AHL team, maybe a ECHL club.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
First I should be looking up his DOB to see if he has another year. I personally think he would benefit from one more year of junior play. If he stays, that limits the Spirit to one European to add to their squad next season, because Honek will be gone.

If he decides to move up, a European league would suit him better and give him a chance to fill out and develop. He is not ready,in my opinion, to move up into the Oilers AHL team, maybe a ECHL club.

Swoopster, I agree with the fact he needs another year IMO it would be better served playing for Saginaw. He would develop more in the OHL and gain valuable minutes needed to help with his experience and confidence. I also don't think he is AHL ready next year.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Big 2 games this weekend. A win against NB and Flint puts pressure on Sarnia to beat Flint and Windsor on the road. Many outcomes are possible but potentially we could be 1 point out or 9 pts back. Either way this is why I enjoy OHL hockey, anything is possible.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Ughhhhhhhh. Not sure I like that call on Garcia. Or any call.

Yes I listened to the game and color man Dennis Desrosier, was irate.

He claimed a clean hit on a player who had his head down after being sacrificed on a "buddy' pass.

Its all about protecting the player today,even on a clean hit. A lesson to be learned for a youngster dumb enough to think that there will be no physical consequence on such a play.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yes I listened to the game and color man Dennis Desrosier, was irate.

He claimed a clean hit on a player who had his head down after being sacrificed on a "buddy' pass.

Its all about protecting the player today,even on a clean hit. A lesson to be learned for a youngster dumb enough to think that there will be no physical consequence on such a play.

Peters dumped it around the corner and up the boards on his backhand. He had his back to what was about to happen. It's on him a little bit, but not much. I don't think there was head contact. Maybe charging if anything. Pretty close to a Scott Stevens special. Durham doesn't usually leave himself so open to hits like that and got back up and played through it. Garcia was knocked off his feet and landed full force on Durham's face with his knee which added insult to injury. Jake got baaaahLASTED and I bet he remembers CJ Garcia for a long time.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Just when you think things couldn't get any worse....Bonello gets a 2 game suspension from a game he didn't even play in.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
And nice to see just called up goaltender Cam Lamour get his first OHL win tonight in a 5-2 Spirit win over the Wolves. Twenty one saves...way to go young man!:handclap:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Game misconduct in last 5 minutes of the flint game. Was talking trash to a flint player from the bench. Ref tossed him when it got heated.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Huge game tonite against Flint. Sarnia plays SSM and the hounds need to win to give us any chance. As long as we keep winning and improving shows the team they are capable of ending the season with a fight. Never an easy game against Flint.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Well the boys gave their best and lost to one of the best teams. They went out and made it interesting and have to win 3 and hope Sarnia loses 3. Not likely but possible.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
In the meantime, their former 2nd round draft pick Kiril Maksimov has had a hat trick againt Erie and has scored 12 goals in 25 games for Niagra. I will not complain about this trade, for it brought us a much needed young d-man in Hayden Davis who has great upside.

Season over and out Finster...see you in September.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
In the meantime, their former 2nd round draft pick has had a hat trick againt Erie and has scored 12 goals in 25 games for Niagra. I will not complain about this trade, for it brought us a much needed young d-man in Hayden Davis who has great upside.

Season over and out Finster...see you in September.

Yeah he's starting to tear it up for the Icedogs, but sometimes you need that change of scenery to start that production. We've benifited from trades like that in the past with Locke and Shalla. Good to see him finding success and living up to potential in Niagara.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Middleton is a beast, he skates well and strong infront of the net. He is getting better offensively but is a true defense first kind of player and does it at 6'6 , 240.

All you see is offensive stats to chart a player's progress. This forum quote might be the only thing fans from elsewhere have to find out there's been any positive development.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
All you see is offensive stats to chart a player's progress. This forum quote might be the only thing fans from elsewhere have to find out there's been any positive development.

I gave my brief opinion and l am not a pro scout, so if you dont like my comments than just ignore my opinion. If you read what I said you would be smart enough to see he is developing and most people on this forum would check the Spirit Stats wich is not that hard to do.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA

I hope and assume the poster wasn't zinging you, but it took me a couple of re reads to think he appreciates your opinion... I think. HA HA!

A. He is a Beast!

B. he skates well

C. strong in front of net

D true defensive defenseman

E. needs to work on offensive skills

Every one of the above I can agree with as I have seen him. Finster hates this when I say it...If Saginaw poops the bed early next year, he's gone for a boatload of picks...he's that good and valuable for a contending team...a ROCK!

Oh, here's his stats... 61 4 14 18 9 46

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad