Saginaw Spirit 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Here are the best guess I can come up with

Sag 1st (6th Overall) Bar 2nd (End of 2nd Round) NIA 3rd (Middle of 3rd) FNT 3rd (Beginning of 3rd) GUE 4th (Beginning of 4th) Sag 5th WSR 8th Sag 8th Eri 10th Sag 11th Sag 13th Sag 14th Sag 15th

Next year we have

Sag 1st NB 2nd Sag 2nd BAR 3rd KIT 3rd Sag 4th NIA con 6th Sag 7th PTB 8th Sag 8th PBO 9th Sag 9th SAR 10th Sag 10th Sag 11th Sag 12th Sag 13th Sag 14th Sag 15th

As for who we draft will really depend on what Flint does at 3 and 5. They are total wildcards at this point. I would assume we go forward in the 1st as Saginaw always has and then Defense and BPA for the next few picks. We need to replace Brown and Petschnig for sure. Plus any other players who might not be back. Players like Campoli in Junior A will come in as well and wouldn't surprise me to see an OA brought in to play with Hodgson, and Bennett if Clarke isnt kept around.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Bennett and Hodgson are 2 good OA's up front and a skilled offensive OA Dman wouldn't hurt. Hopefully an experienced Head Coach with two assistant coaches that can bring some special teams and defensive strategies that were nonexistent this year. The draft will probably be best talent available for the first pick.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Here are the best guess I can come up with

Sag 1st (6th Overall) Bar 2nd (End of 2nd Round) NIA 3rd (Middle of 3rd) FNT 3rd (Beginning of 3rd) GUE 4th (Beginning of 4th) Sag 5th WSR 8th Sag 8th Eri 10th Sag 11th Sag 13th Sag 14th Sag 15th

Next year we have

Sag 1st NB 2nd Sag 2nd BAR 3rd KIT 3rd Sag 4th NIA con 6th Sag 7th PTB 8th Sag 8th PBO 9th Sag 9th SAR 10th Sag 10th Sag 11th Sag 12th Sag 13th Sag 14th Sag 15th

As for who we draft will really depend on what Flint does at 3 and 5. They are total wildcards at this point. I would assume we go forward in the 1st as Saginaw always has and then Defense and BPA for the next few picks. We need to replace Brown and Petschnig for sure. Plus any other players who might not be back. Players like Campoli in Junior A will come in as well and wouldn't surprise me to see an OA brought in to play with Hodgson, and Bennett if Clarke isnt kept around.

Thanks for the update.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Seeing some mock drafts, they have Saginaw picking a D-man with their first pick. Thoughts??

1. Guelph - Merkley
2. Sudbury - Lalonde
3. Flint - Gogolev
4. Hamilton - Vallati/Dudas
5. Flint - Popov
6. Saginaw - Roberts
7. Oshawa - Nizhikinov
8. Missy - Vallati/Dudas
9. Petes - Hayton

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Seeing some mock drafts, they have Saginaw picking a D-man with their first pick. Thoughts??

1. Guelph - Merkley
2. Sudbury - Lalonde
3. Flint - Gogolev
4. Hamilton - Vallati/Dudas
5. Flint - Popov
6. Saginaw - Roberts
7. Oshawa - Nizhikinov
8. Missy - Vallati/Dudas
9. Petes - Hayton

Have seen Roberts to Saginaw alot lately. Where there's smoke there's probably fire. He is not a defenseman however. The Roberts they have us taking is Connor Roberts from Owen Sound. Last year he played for the Grey Bruce Highlanders and scored 19 goals and 20 assists in 28 games. He's a 6' 3" 210 pound forward. Recently represented Canada at the Youth Olympics and is rated by thescout.ca as the 5th best player available in the draft.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Have seen Roberts to Saginaw alot lately. Where there's smoke there's probably fire. He is not a defenseman however. The Roberts they have us taking is Connor Roberts from Owen Sound. Last year he played for the Grey Bruce Highlanders and scored 19 goals and 20 assists in 28 games. He's a 6' 3" 210 pound forward. Recently represented Canada at the Youth Olympics and is rated by thescout.ca as the 5th best player available in the draft.

Big kid already. But 16 yr olds like that seem to adjust a bit slower til their skating catch up so I wouldn't expect a big year from him out of the gate (12-15 points). I wouldn't be opposed to taking him. BPA is the way to go this year.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Still not sure if we are picking 4th or 5th. I think that it is 4th does someone have a definite answer? This is a nice and unexpected start to the 16-17 season wich will be a very successful season.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
ICYMI: the entire U18 team for Russia was banned from taking part in the upcoming tournament due to failing drug testing. Apparently the whole team had been taking Meldonium, something that is very common in Russia. As a result, Maksimov has been added onto the replacement roster along with basically the rest of their U17 team. Good opportunity to showcase himself at a tourney that is heavily scouted and helped put Stephens on the map on the way to being picked 33rd overall.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
“@BayshoreFred: Source.." OHL Top 10..Merkley, Lalonde, Roberts, Hayden, Dellandrea,
Antropov, Nishnikov, Gogolev, Dudas, Hillis. "â€

That might be a reach by us.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If everyone reports... Saginaw will be a powerhouse in the near future.

Blade Jenkins, Bode Wilde, Damien Giroux, and Maxime Grondin is quite the haul for the first two rounds!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If everyone reports... Saginaw will be a powerhouse in the near future.

Blade Jenkins, Bode Wilde, Damien Giroux, and Maxime Grondin is quite the haul for the first two rounds!

They have taken some chances, but like you said, if they report? Oh my!

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
They have taken some chances, but like you said, if they report? Oh my!

Excited for you guys! Good to see other teams (other than London and Kitchener) taking risks on big time players. I really hope Blade Jenkins shows up for you guys, especially since you guys drafted him so high. Bode Wilde might be a different story though.... He will not report this year to the OHL according to Larry Mellotte......

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Excited for you guys! Good to see other teams (other than London and Kitchener) taking risks on big time players. I really hope Blade Jenkins shows up for you guys, especially since you guys drafted him so high. Bode Wilde might be a different story though.... He will not report this year to the OHL according to Larry Mellotte......

Wilde is the kind of guy you hope shows up in a year or two after his NTDP stint, like Tkachuk, or possibly Keller. Jenkins you need to show up right away if you're using the 4th pick on him. Here's hoping they had that assurance before picking him.
Potential huge draft by the Spirit.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Yeah Drinkell gonna make a name for himself with this draft. Good or bad, either way his name is gonna stick in the minds of Spirit fans for a long time thanks to today.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
One other thing about yesterday's draft: It seems like the UM commitment is the hardest one for OHL teams to crack. Even the powerhouse teams have a hard time get guys to report when they are headed for the maize and blue. Kitchener couldn't get Trouba, London couldn't get Werenski, Niagara couldn't get Nieves and traded him to us, and in turn we couldn't get him. The main point is that IF we can get Blade to show up by some miracle, it would finally put an end to the excuse that we can't draft like the London's on the world. It would really open up the door to being able to take the best talent available and having far less worry about whether or not it is worth it to try for those guys. Like I said, Drinkell is either gonna put us on par with the Knights, Rangers, etc. as far as recruiting goes or he's gonna further perpetuate the stereotype that small market American teams are worth the time for high end prosepects. This is gonna be one heck of a wait and see situation.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Oh and besides the draft yesterday, Mitchell Stephens got called up to finish the year out with Tampa's AHL team, as many CHL playoff ousted players do, and he went and scored his first pro goal. I don't know how to post video but I suggest you check out the Crunch's twitter page as they have the clip of him scoring. Beauty shot with one bent knee and all. Good one for the high light reel. Congrats Mitchell! Hopefully the first of many many goals. Gonna make my jersey investment worth it.

#SYRCRUNCH GOAL!!!���� Mitchell Stephens notches his first professional goal, bringing the Crunch to a 2-1 lead! #TORvsSYR"

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Why grab Jenkin's 4th overall unless you want to maybe have 2 1st rounders in 17. Take a chance on Wilde not on both. We can't outright lose such a high pick if he decides 2nd year he changed his mind and is a Wolverine. Drinkill is to smart to let this happen. It will be ongoing news throughout the spring and summer. Just like our search for a new bench boss and assistants.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
The positives of the draft are Grondin and Giroux. If Jenkins doesn't report and has no intentions of playing here we still get a #5 pick next year.With Campoli ready it gives us 3 young guys to mix in with a veteran filled lineup. Don't get me wrong we would love to see Jenkins playing and DD have a plan to make it come to fruition. However you have to be prepared for unexpected.Wilde is different you can't recoup his lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad