Saginaw Spirit 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Curious why the Dow looked so barren last night? Game Sheet showed 3,000+ but looks like there was MAYBE 1,500 people? Is it because the game was on a Tuesday night? The $2 beers, $2 pizza and $2 Pepsi's the radio announcers kept preaching seems really enticing to fill the place up; would be a riot in the Sault if prices were that cheap...

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Curious why the Dow looked so barren last night? Game Sheet showed 3,000+ but looks like there was MAYBE 1,500 people? Is it because the game was on a Tuesday night? The $2 beers, $2 pizza and $2 Pepsi's the radio announcers kept preaching seems really enticing to fill the place up; would be a riot in the Sault if prices were that cheap...

Tuesday game = small crowd. Any weekday game is avoided at all costs when scheduling is done but nothing you can do when you're the lower seed. Thought it was actually a normal crowd for a Tuesday.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Paid attendance was just over 3000. Even if only 1500 showed up I am not surprised. I have season tickets and wasnt able to attend last night and know of a few others in the same boat. Will be there Thursday though.

Doesnt help attendance when everyone, who knows anything about hockey in the area, knows that the games are going to be a total blowout. Seriously, the Soo is one of the best teams ever in OHL history. Saginaw is the youngest team ever in the OHL playoffs. Doesnt take a genius to figure out that outcome. All I ask is the kids try hard and work to get better.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Re: attendance. I guess what surprises us is that mid-week games here tend to be little different than weekend games. Might be down a couple of hundred but that's about it. Does everybody in the area work 3-11??

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
There's multiple reasons why midweek games are not attended as well here. The hockey crazy mindset isn't as prevalent and casual fans don't want to travel to Saginaw city (a lot of potential hockey fans don't live in Saginaw but the surrounding area up to 45 minutes away) on nights where you have to get up early for work the next morning. Games usually get over around 10 meaning you don't get home before most parents want their kids in bed so that rules out a lot of casual fan families coming to the games. also there tends to be a few college kids from the local university but classes there go until 10pm weeknights so they can't always make it. Another factor that affects playoff attendance is that a lot of companies buy groups of season tickets for employees. I noticed a lot of them don't renew for the playoffs, probably because of little knowledge of what is going on with the team.

Add all of this to the fact that most people know saginaw is fighting an uphill battle in this series and you get them only selling 3000 of the 5500 seats.

Hockey Canada 519

Mar 31, 2014
There's multiple reasons why midweek games are not attended as well here. The hockey crazy mindset isn't as prevalent and casual fans don't want to travel to Saginaw city (a lot of potential hockey fans don't live in Saginaw but the surrounding area up to 45 minutes away) on nights where you have to get up early for work the next morning. Games usually get over around 10 meaning you don't get home before most parents want their kids in bed so that rules out a lot of casual fan families coming to the games. also there tends to be a few college kids from the local university but classes there go until 10pm weeknights so they can't always make it. Another factor that affects playoff attendance is that a lot of companies buy groups of season tickets for employees. I noticed a lot of them don't renew for the playoffs, probably because of little knowledge of what is going on with the team.

Add all of this to the fact that most people know saginaw is fighting an uphill battle in this series and you get them only selling 3000 of the 5500 seats.

During the regular season the last couple of years, attendance has been down, way down. It's a sad thing. I can remember when that arena was packed and roaring. With all the local schools on Spring Break majority of the people are in Florida or somewhere south. First round of playoffs has always been this way for them. Bad time of year. I believe the price of tickets going up hasn't helped either. Does anyone know where you can look at past attendance records? Would be interested in seeing what it has dropped in the last couple of years.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint fan here, but we will be lucky to get over 3,000 on a weekday night. Hopefully, we won't have many of those. However, I think Saginaw has done pretty well with weekday and Sunday attendance. You have built a solid folliwing in the Tri-Cities and really admire what you guys have been able to do the last decade or so.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That sucks. I imagine with the team being so young, they're gonna have a much better seed and attendance next year. With Flint being in the league it's only gonna raise awareness next year. Good luck with the next game boys.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
I have followed football most of my life. It has only been since the Spirit arrived that I started paying attention. It took me a few years to figure out the rules (offsides, for example, was very confusing when one is used to soccer or American football). And it hadn't been until very recently I figured out the "buyers" and "sellers" aspect of an OHL franchise. I used to be naive and thought that an 8-seed, with some luck and determination, can surprise the league and win a series. This does not happen in the OHL. This is a league where only the worst 20% miss the playoffs. And the top 5% - 10% will stack a team for more than just the OHL championship, but the Memorial Cup.

The Spirit, for years, seemed to have overpaid for talent. And when they had talent to trade, they would undersell. Or they would only sell so much and keep a small group of talented players to have a respectable shot in the playoffs. This is not the method to achieve a championship, but mediocrity. Which is what we have and why we have made the playoffs for 10 straight years without much to hang from the rafters.

This year was different. They spared nobody to get a trove of picks and some new guys that might have value next year, or the year after that. Teams that sell out like this usually come back in two or three years. The Greyhounds are an example. Dead last in the West in 2011, missed playoffs in 2012, 6-seed in 2013, 2-seed in 2014, and top team in the OHL this year.

Since I started paying attention, the Spirit have never sold out before the trade deadline like they did this year. And despite that, they made the playoffs with the youngest team to do so. Give them kudos for that.

But the next steps have to be well planned. The organization needs to draft smart, trade smart, and keep the chemistry of the core players harmonious. We can be witness to great things in a couple of years.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have followed football most of my life. It has only been since the Spirit arrived that I started paying attention. It took me a few years to figure out the rules (offsides, for example, was very confusing when one is used to soccer or American football). And it hadn't been until very recently I figured out the "buyers" and "sellers" aspect of an OHL franchise. I used to be naive and thought that an 8-seed, with some luck and determination, can surprise the league and win a series. This does not happen in the OHL. This is a league where only the worst 20% miss the playoffs. And the top 5% - 10% will stack a team for more than just the OHL championship, but the Memorial Cup.

The Spirit, for years, seemed to have overpaid for talent. And when they had talent to trade, they would undersell. Or they would only sell so much and keep a small group of talented players to have a respectable shot in the playoffs. This is not the method to achieve a championship, but mediocrity. Which is what we have and why we have made the playoffs for 10 straight years without much to hang from the rafters.

This year was different. They spared nobody to get a trove of picks and some new guys that might have value next year, or the year after that. Teams that sell out like this usually come back in two or three years. The Greyhounds are an example. Dead last in the West in 2011, missed playoffs in 2012, 6-seed in 2013, 2-seed in 2014, and top team in the OHL this year.

Since I started paying attention, the Spirit have never sold out before the trade deadline like they did this year. And despite that, they made the playoffs with the youngest team to do so. Give them kudos for that.

But the next steps have to be well planned. The organization needs to draft smart, trade smart, and keep the chemistry of the core players harmonious. We can be witness to great things in a couple of years.

Great post - I think you have captured the situation perfectly.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Looking past the game tonight to the draft.

9 days left and Saginaw picks 6th. Have heard some rumblings that the top 4 is pretty set with Levin, Tippett, Vilardei, and McLeod going in that order. Also have heard some Lodina to Flint rumors but who knows.

Only defensemen who is OHL committed I would take at 6 is Hayden Davis but I believe he is a right handed shot and we seem to be flushed with right handed dmen at this point. Not saying that eliminates him from a potential pick but it is certainly less than ideal

If I was the team GM I would be looking for a offensively skilled forward that can slip into a wing spot with either Stephens or Felhaber after Sadowy is likely moved at the deadline ala Moutrey. Hope our scouts fully scout the first round, as I would expect to get a later picked 1st rounder from this years class along with draft picks for Sadowy.

Sure up the defense by trading some future mid round picks (we have a load of them) to acquire 1 or 2 O/A or 19 year old defensemen. Go forward with picks 1 and 2 and defense with our 3rd pick. BPA from there.

Team will be highly improved next season and will be a few moves away from being really good 2 years down the road.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Looking past the game tonight to the draft.

9 days left and Saginaw picks 6th. Have heard some rumblings that the top 4 is pretty set with Levin, Tippett, Vilardei, and McLeod going in that order. Also have heard some Lodina to Flint rumors but who knows.

Only defensemen who is OHL committed I would take at 6 is Hayden Davis but I believe he is a right handed shot and we seem to be flushed with right handed dmen at this point. Not saying that eliminates him from a potential pick but it is certainly less than ideal

If I was the team GM I would be looking for a offensively skilled forward that can slip into a wing spot with either Stephens or Felhaber after Sadowy is likely moved at the deadline ala Moutrey. Hope our scouts fully scout the first round, as I would expect to get a later picked 1st rounder from this years class along with draft picks for Sadowy.

Sure up the defense by trading some future mid round picks (we have a load of them) to acquire 1 or 2 O/A or 19 year old defensemen. Go forward with picks 1 and 2 and defense with our 3rd pick. BPA from there.

Team will be highly improved next season and will be a few moves away from being really good 2 years down the road.

I like that plan. I'm slowly coming around the idea of going with a forward at 6 but still 50/50. The older D men to slot in for possibly Henley and Holmes and to help the young guys like...well basically everyone else is a good idea I think.

Oh and if I was targeting guys who might come in a possible Sadowy trade next year (I don't know if we should do that BTW), I'd look at one of the picks that Niagara makes since they'll be all in next year.

Hockey Canada 519

Mar 31, 2014
Like I said KP, nominations mean nothing!

Nominations mean nothing? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the nominations from other OHL teams coaching and staff in the league? If so, then all those teams are wrong as well? I would like to think that those other coaches that have been in the league for years would know a good coach when they see one.

Hockey Canada 519

Mar 31, 2014
Flint fan here, but we will be lucky to get over 3,000 on a weekday night. Hopefully, we won't have many of those. However, I think Saginaw has done pretty well with weekday and Sunday attendance. You have built a solid folliwing in the Tri-Cities and really admire what you guys have been able to do the last decade or so.

I can't wait for this rival. I think that you will have higher attendance then you think. Remember Costa is the one that started everything here in Saginaw. Back in the day when he was here, every game was sold out. You guys have a very respected person there and I think you will be better then Saginaw is. Good people in management helps create sellouts. Makes a big difference when your management team grew up on hockey and played in the O.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I can't wait for this rival. I think that you will have higher attendance then you think. Remember Costa is the one that started everything here in Saginaw. Back in the day when he was here, every game was sold out. You guys have a very respected person there and I think you will be better then Saginaw is. Good people in management helps create sellouts. Makes a big difference when your management team grew up on hockey and played in the O.

I think Flint will do well on the Weekend games Friday and Saturday. It is the weekday games and Sunday that I worry about. Should be a great rivalry, although I expect Saginaw to be pretty good next season and Flint, very, very young.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
-Can't say we didn't go out fighting. We came out with an attitude, we were physical and finally buried some chances. In the end though, the Soo was too much.

-I usually don't like to complain about the refs but they wer brutal tonight. Allowing that first Soo goal gave them the momentum swing. THAT WAS ICING BTW!!!!! We may be a group of American fans but I do believe we understand how icing works. Gilbert would have been well within his rights to go crazy after that non call but I give him credit for keeping it together.

-I hate to see this season end but man are we gonna be a force down the road. The pieces are here.

-Cormier was amazing again. Got to love his heart as well. You could see how upset he was that it was over. He and everyone else gave it all they had and that all us fans could ask for.

-Got job this year by this young squad and good luck to Ringuette wherever he goes from here.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Kudos to the Saginaw Spirit and their fanbase. These games had some very good competitive hockey. Greyhounds were heavily favoured and did what most expected. Saginaw never gave up and gained some very valuable playoff experience with their young roster. It surprised me to find out just how young this team was. Would not of known with their play on the ice.

I really liked the play of Cormier this series. Some unbelievable saves. No doubt he is gonna be a top tender as he gains experience. Stewart and Middleton are big physical defensemen. Enjoyed watching Brown compete level every shift. Stephens and Artemov could very well be leading point getters next season. Never a good feeling when the season is over but there is high optimism around this club. Good luck to the lone OA Ringuette and any other players who may not return to the league next season. OHL hockey will be back next season in Saginaw and this Soo fan looks forward to continue the division rivalry.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Cormier played great. Realistically as did much of the young talent the spirit has. Youngest team in the league can only do so much against a juggernaut like the hounds. The future is bright in saginaw... and with their youth, as well as sarnias I think the west is gonna be tough next year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Working on end of the season player report cards. Not handing out A's like candy though. Only 3 players get those, but stills lot's of positives to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad