Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Real quick from tonight's game:

-Spirit win 5-3

-Ovsjannikov in net. Looked solid for the most part. Rebound control needs serious work though.

-Stephens with 2 goals. Sadowy, McPhail, and Brown (SH) were the others.

-Middleton looked pretty good. Relatively good mobility for his size. Takes away space. Not afraid to throw his weight around.

-Moutrey looks like he's in great shape. Faster, stronger. Could be a big year for him.

-Milano is slick. Really slick. Made a very nice pass for a Whalers PP goal. Not über hype good like he was built up to be, but he should easily put up 80 pts plus this year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Prospect watch

“@intheoradio: No secret that #ITO was a fan Christian Rajic. After a year of midget starts with 2G+3A in 3 games for @OakvilleBlades in the #OJHL.â€

He's really tiny. But he knows how to find space to get into scoring position. A full year down in Oakville to refine his skills and maybe he makes it up as an 18 year old similar to the route Bennett took.

Side note: So far it doesn't seem like the extra time in Oakville hurt Bennett. Liked what I've seen from him this year so far.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Real quick from tonight's game:

-Spirit win 5-3

-Ovsjannikov in net. Looked solid for the most part. Rebound control needs serious work though.

-Stephens with 2 goals. Sadowy, McPhail, and Brown (SH) were the others.

-Middleton looked pretty good. Relatively good mobility for his size. Takes away space. Not afraid to throw his weight around.

-Moutrey looks like he's in great shape. Faster, stronger. Could be a big year for him.

-Milano is slick. Really slick. Made a very nice pass for a Whalers PP goal. Not über hype good like he was built up to be, but he should easily put up 80 pts plus this year.

Thanks for the updates. No TV or internet coverage so it was hard to keep updated on the game.

Luvtowatch

Feb 21, 2012
Prospect watch

“@intheoradio: No secret that #ITO was a fan Christian Rajic. After a year of midget starts with 2G+3A in 3 games for @OakvilleBlades in the #OJHL.â€

He's really tiny. But he knows how to find space to get into scoring position. A full year down in Oakville to refine his skills and maybe he makes it up as an 18 year old similar to the route Bennett took.

Side note: So far it doesn't seem like the extra time in Oakville hurt Bennett. Liked what I've seen from him this year so far.

Rajic plays with a big heart and lots of skill. Hopefully will grow this year.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Prospect watch

Does Saginaw have any affiliation with Oakville? If a player signs with an OHL team and they get assigned to the OJHL, does the OHL team pay for them to play there?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Thoughts from tonight's 5-2 win:

-PP was running well. 3 goals, 2 of them by Artemov. Also Crawford should be the PP QB for the next few years. Made a great pass on Artemov's second.

-Despite the score, I thought the Soo was the better team. Won more of the puck battles and rang 5 shots off the post. With a full line up, they are gonna be really tough to beat. Gonna put the over/under at 50 wins.

-Serebryakov makes me nervous. His positioning and rebound control are terrible. He can make those athletic saves all day but technically he's just not sound.

-Bennett continues to impress me. Three assists tonight. Guy is flying all over the ice. He's taking a page right out of Sadowy's notebook. Actually were building up a nice stockpile of forwards that are solid two way, high energy forwards: Sadowy, Artemov, Bennett, Stephens.

-Felhaber had a nice goal. Showed a good burst of speed to get by a Soo defender, carried the puck across the net, and slipped it just inside the post. He's definitely going to be a good one, but I think he's going to need 20 games to adjust.

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM

-Bennett continues to impress me. Three assists tonight. Guy is flying all over the ice. He's taking a page right out of Sadowy's notebook. Actually were building up a nice stockpile of forwards that are solid two way, high energy forwards: Sadowy, Artemov, Bennett, Stephens.

I thought Bennett was outstanding last night for you guys. He was all over the ice offensively and defensively.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada

-PP was running well. 3 goals, 2 of them by Artemov. Also Crawford should be the PP QB for the next few years. Made a great pass on Artemov's second.

-Despite the score, I thought the Soo was the better team. Won more of the puck battles and rang 5 shots off the post. With a full line up, they are gonna be really tough to beat. Gonna put the over/under at 50 wins.

-Serebryakov makes me nervous. His positioning and rebound control are terrible. He can make those athletic saves all day but technically he's just not sound.

-Felhaber had a nice goal. Showed a good burst of speed to get by a Soo defender, carried the puck across the net, and slipped it just inside the post. He's definitely going to be a good one, but I think he's going to need 20 games to adjust.

Did Crawford get hurt in the game? I heard ankle, possibly broken?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
How has David Ovsjannikov (easy for you to say) looked to date?

When he's on: Only Ok

I will say this though. He's gigantic and for a 16/17 year old goalie that can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. You can tell he's not comfortable with his size yet. His mobility isn't great and sometimes it means he doesn't get it position well. But if he ever does get his coordination down, and work on his rebound control, he could be a Stolarz type. Will be interesting to see how he does with a few more games under his belt this year.

Side note: Anyone know where Murdaca is playing this year?

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014/09/sunday-top-10-performers-of-2014.html

Top 10 - Performers of the 2014 Preseason - 2 Spirit make the list

7. Kris Bennett - Saginaw Spirit
Like Timleck, Saginaw's Kris Bennett is another rookie who has been absolutely dynamite this preseason. However, the difference is that Bennett is playing in his 3rd camp for Saginaw. The former 3rd rounder finally appears ready to take on a significant role for the Spirit, coming off a very good season with Oakville (OJHL). Bennett brought speed, energy, and physicality to whatever line he was on, and contributed 2 goals and 4 assists, helping Saginaw remain perfect during the exhibition season.

2. Mitchell Stephens - Saginaw Spirit
Fresh off his breakout performance at the Ivan Hlinka, Stephens carried over his strong play to the OHL preseason where he netted 5 goals. Saginaw is going to need their former first rounder to be their offensive leader this year, and the speedy center seems poised for a very big year in his draft season. At this point, he seems like candidate to move very quickly up draft lists.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Well that was ugly last night. Definitely could tell that we are a young team. Lot of guys out of position defensively. They looked lost and confused at times. Game 1 of 68 though. Not gonna say that this will be the norm. These kids will learn as the season progresses.

Will say that Erie looked FAST. I mean wow! They were flying and taking advantage of Gilbert being aggressive with the pressure.

Oh yeah, also got to throw out a congrats to Tye Felhaber on scoring his first career OHL goal last night. First of many many goals I hope.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Game 1 of 68... Things are not going to get any better in Saginaw. Unfortunately the D will always have problems. IMO not enough was done to improve the D core. Ringer has always been bad so why would you bring him back as an OA as I have said he's not a good D partner and can't seem to play with anyone that you pair him with. Gilbert is the big problem and until someone grows a pair and makes changes expect the same results as game 1 in the next 67 games! :shakehead

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Down 4 or 5 - 1 didn't like how Gibby was still matching lines. Throw out your horses and get something going, at least for next game. Hope things are different Saturday night when Lodge is in the lineup.

Any word when Moutrey will be back?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Spirit win 4-3 OT

-Played ALOT better tonight compared to Erie (who btw maybe be better than everyone thought). Thought we controlled the play most of the night. Plenty of quality of looks at goals for us but Fazio helped keep Sarnia in it.

-Serebryakov, minus the first goal, played pretty well. Better positioning than I usually see from him and he made the difficult saves like he tends to do. He remembered most of the easy ones this time though.

-Can't let Kodola skate around like that at the end of the third. Just can't.

-Sneaky job by Jimmy at the end there. Knocks the stick out of Nikandrov's hands. Nikandrov responds by showing Lodge in the face. Jimmy sells it well and just like that we got a PP that leads to the winner.

-Top guys for me were Crawford, Holmes, and Stephens (duh). Crawford is growing on me. Makes good passes and knows when to pinch. Holmes looks like he could eat up minutes in the future. Not gonna knock you out or put up points. He's the kind of guy that relys on the smart plays. And Stephens did what he had to do. If we're gonna do anything this year, he's got to take that step forward. 2 goals in close. Good way to make people stop questioning your size is to get goals in close.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Spirit win 4-3 OT

-Played ALOT better tonight compared to Erie (who btw maybe be better than everyone thought). Thought we controlled the play most of the night. Plenty of quality of looks at goals for us but Fazio helped keep Sarnia in it.

-Serebryakov, minus the first goal, played pretty well. Better positioning than I usually see from him and he made the difficult saves like he tends to do. He remembered most of the easy ones this time though.

-Can't let Kodola skate around like that at the end of the third. Just can't.

-Sneaky job by Jimmy at the end there. Knocks the stick out of Nikandrov's hands. Nikandrov responds by showing Lodge in the face. Jimmy sells it well and just like that we got a PP that leads to the winner.

-Top guys for me were Crawford, Holmes, and Stephens (duh). Crawford is growing on me. Makes good passes and knows when to pinch. Holmes looks like he could eat up minutes in the future. Not gonna knock you out or put up points. He's the kind of guy that relys on the smart plays. And Stephens did what he had to do. If we're gonna do anything this year, he's got to take that step forward. 2 goals in close. Good way to make people stop questioning your size is to get goals in close.

Thanks for the update. There was no game in OHL Live due to "Technical Difficulties" so had to listen to the game on radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad