SAD DAY IN THE HOCKEY WORLD - Humboldt Broncos bus crash

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
still unbelievably heartbreaking for all the families, friends of those in this small community. Makes one appreciate how precious life truly is

After the tragedy, taking the bus to work, was pretty emotional seeing, if I were guessing, about 90% of the homes on my bus route with sticks out on their front porch

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I feel bad for the truck driver. Running a red light was selfish and extremely dangerous, (though it could've been a simple accident or oversight due to tiredness or distraction - I don't know the details) and he's living with the consequences. But its not like he was expecting to ram into a busload of kids and cause dozens of casualties. Yet people are basically acting like he's a genocidal dictator and deserves the death penalty for a statistically improbable road accident (though I'm not mitigating how his actions increased the likelihood of an accident). It's just gotta suck to be him.

Reactions: hawkeye99

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I feel bad for the truck driver. Running a red light was selfish and extremely dangerous, (though it could've been a simple accident or oversight due to tiredness or distraction - I don't know the details) and he's living with the consequences. But its not like he was expecting to ram into a busload of kids and cause dozens of casualties. Yet people are basically acting like he's a genocidal dictator and deserves the death penalty for a statistically improbable road accident (though I'm not mitigating how his actions increased the likelihood of an accident). It's just gotta suck to be him.
He didn’t run a red light, he ran a stop sign. If you have any idea of the Canadian Praires you would be aware that out there you can watch your dog runaway for a week. He was selfish because he was in a hurray, there will never be a reasonable excuse for him to act and drive like he did that night, never. He ruined so many lives I just cannot wrap me head around he could get an ounce of sympathy from anyone, this was such a preventable accident, and he didn’t think of anyone but himself, sad part is he walked away without a mark on him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He didn’t run a red light, he ran a stop sign. If you have any idea of the Canadian Praires you would be aware that out there you can watch your dog runaway for a week. He was selfish because he was in a hurray, there will never be a reasonable excuse for him to act and drive like he did that night, never. He ruined so many lives I just cannot wrap me head around he could get an ounce of sympathy from anyone, this was such a preventable accident, and he didn’t think of anyone but himself, sad part is he walked away without a mark on him.

He was charged

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
He was charged

Yes he was and he will be locked up, unfortunately this is Canada and he won’t receive anything close to what he deserves once all said and done. Time will heal, which I truly hope for all those affected, but sadly they way this Country deals with these types of matters, I doubt he is still in prison in five years. Should start at 20 before he is even able to talk to a parol officer.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
p
Yes he was and he will be locked up, unfortunately this is Canada and he won’t receive anything close to what he deserves once all said and done. Time will heal, which I truly hope for all those affected, but sadly they way this Country deals with these types of matters, I doubt he is still in prison in five years. Should start at 20 before he is even able to talk to a parol officer.

Friend who works on Jets TV told me that the way the the praires are he could have seen that bus from 5 miles away. He either fell asleep or was texting.

Reactions: BBB24

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
p

Friend who works on Jets TV told me that the way the the praires are he could have seen that bus from 5 miles away. He either fell asleep or was texting.
Exactly, likely texting and he also wasn’t allowed licensed to operate a tandem trailer, which he was doing, so much wrong due to carelessness that was totally unnecessary, a tragedy that changed Saskatchewan forever in history. Make me so angry because is was so easily preventable. I am not a cold person, I just cannot now nor will I ever be able to fine a flicker I’d sympathy for this individual, he is the exact example of a selfish individual who never gave a thought to anyone or anything in his life, they are everywhere.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly, likely texting and he also wasn’t allowed licensed to operate a tandem trailer, which he was doing, so much wrong due to carelessness that was totally unnecessary, a tragedy that changed Saskatchewan forever in history. Make me so angry because is was so easily preventable. I am not a cold person, I just cannot now nor will I ever be able to fine a flicker I’d sympathy for this individual, he is the exact example of a selfish individual who never gave a thought to anyone or anything in his life, they are everywhere.

He was licensed to pull a tandem trailer, but industry practice would of been to not have a driver less than a years experience moving a tandem load. This guy had 2 weeks behind the wheel since being licensed.

I think the weight of his load was a major factor in him blowing the stop sign. The load was two trailers of boxed peat moss. So unlike a lot of transport loads, there is essentially no negative space in those boxes, meaning he was carrying an extremely heavy load.

My guess is he was cruising along, and he noticed he stop sign too late (maybe due to sun glare). By the time he tried to break, with the extreme weight of the load combined with his inexperience transporting a load that heavy, he blew through the sign.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
He was licensed to pull a tandem trailer, but industry practice would of been to not have a driver less than a years experience moving a tandem load. This guy had 2 weeks behind the wheel since being licensed.

I think the weight of his load was a major factor in him blowing the stop sign. The load was two trailers of boxed peat moss. So unlike a lot of transport loads, there is essentially no negative space in those boxes, meaning he was carrying an extremely heavy load.

My guess is he was cruising along, and he noticed he stop sign too late (maybe due to sun glare). By the time he tried to break, with the extreme weight of the load combined with his inexperience transporting a load that heavy, he blew through the sign.
We will agree to disagree on the trailer, there will never ba a measure of excuse for this incident, totally preventable but when selfish people are allowed to be in control of potential dangerous equipment this will be the result, him and only him is responsible for the results, but some will feel for him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We will agree to disagree on the trailer, there will never ba a measure of excuse for this incident, totally preventable but when selfish people are allowed to be in control of potential dangerous equipment this will be the result, him and only him is responsible for the results, but some will feel for him.

Disagree all you want. If you don't think carrying a trailer load of that magnitude wasn't a factor I'm not sure what to tell you.

It's not an excuse, the main cause to me is him breaking to late for a load of extreme weight. That's on him, not the weight of the load. Him breaking to late. He's the cause, the weight is a factor. Weight is also a factor in the severity of the damage. That's not opinion, that's physics.

But he's not the only person at fault here IMO. Criminally he will be, but whichever person above him put him behind the wheel of a tandem-trailer loaded with boxes of peat moss with two-weeks behind the wheel is partially responsible for what happened.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Having sympathy for him doesn't mean you exonerate him from being responsible. I don't believe causing this accident and killing all those people was his intent, thus some people have sympathy
for the situation.
Thank you

When I say I have sympathy for him and when I defend him, it's not writing off his part in contributing to the accident. But he is a human being who deserves to be defended against these angry emotional people who are acting like he's an evil monster who went out intending to kill 20 kids.

The combination of his carelessness and incompetence to drive the tractor certainly contributed to the incident, and he should face some degree of correctional punishment for that, but if you listen to people on here, you'd think they want to give him the chair. And that's a complete mockery of justice straight out of the BuzzFeed vigilante justice age.

Reactions: Hali33

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Thank you

When I say I have sympathy for him and when I defend him, it's not writing off his part in contributing to the accident. But he is a human being who deserves to be defended against these angry emotional people who are acting like he's an evil monster who went out intending to kill 20 kids.

The combination of his carelessness and incompetence to drive the tractor certainly contributed to the incident, and he should face some degree of correctional punishment for that, but if you listen to people on here, you'd think they want to give him the chair. And that's a complete mockery of justice straight out of the BuzzFeed vigilante justice age.
Now where has anyone mentioned the chair, pump the brakes, which is what he should have done. Finding some sympathy is difficult, he made his decision to take the actions he he, did he start the day with that intent, likely not but he put zero for thought into his decisions that day, now he walks around getting his life in order and others will never recover, and I don’t mean just the victims. People need to be held truly responsible for bad decisions, but can see already this early after, some willing to accept “it happens, let’s move on”.

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Disagree all you want. If you don't think carrying a trailer load of that magnitude wasn't a factor I'm not sure what to tell you.

It's not an excuse, the main cause to me is him breaking to late for a load of extreme weight. That's on him, not the weight of the load. Him breaking to late. He's the cause, the weight is a factor. Weight is also a factor in the severity of the damage. That's not opinion, that's physics.

But he's not the only person at fault here IMO. Criminally he will be, but whichever person above him put him behind the wheel of a tandem-trailer loaded with boxes of peat moss with two-weeks behind the wheel is partially responsible for what happened.
Where did I say carrying that trailer load wasn’t a factor?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Accidents happen.

It's going to be hard enough for this guy psychologically to move on from this. People spewing hatred at him and saying they have no sympathy isn't going to help.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The images and videos coming from that game are a mix of depressing and inspirational. Those kids are warroriers. I cried like a baby at the bruins game after the marathon, I can only imagine the waterfalls at that game...

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I watched the tributes yesterday, very classy and sad. After the accident, I wore a Humboldt windbreaker almost everyday. I got it years ago, when my Nephew was Assistant Coach there. My nephew had a team bus flip on its side out East on the Confederation Bridge of all places. The winter winds of the Atlantic got them, no major injuries luckily. I have been in Saskatchewan and can tell you those roads have very little in the way of obstruction. Towns and cities are spread out but this tragedy has brought them together.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Like the vigil. I worked the event for the carrying network. I don't want to say I was honored or privileged to work it. I guess I want to say, it was important that I was there.
I did pretty ok until they introduced the 2 remaining players and the one had tears streaming down his face.
The one comment I heard from Bob Mckenzie was that as much as this tried to be a return to normalcy for the town of humboldt, the survivors and those others affected. But for the families that lost loved ones there will never ever be normalcy and they go home to continue to mourn their loss.
The banners will honor those on that bus forever. The 2 remaining players will have their numbers retired when they're done playing.

Reactions: sooshii

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This should be about the kids who lost their lives, the parents who have had to say goodbye to one of their children and a community fighting their emotional way back from an absolute tragedy and watching the game the other day was one of the most emotional things I have watched since the first game in Boston after the Marathon tragedy a few years ago.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad