SAD DAY IN THE HOCKEY WORLD - Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I just watched an interview with Scott Thomas, whose 18 year old son Evan died in the accident.

The father was traveling with the father of the opposing team's goalie to the game, and were about 45 minutes behind the bus on the same road. When they came upon the wreck, and having played minor hockey when he was younger, the father knew right away his son was killed, as the pecking order on the bus put rookies at the front, and veterans in the back.

"You're at the church and most of the families are there. All the veterans' parents start getting phone calls, we got your boy, come to the hospital. You get a little deeper and at the end of the night it's mostly the rookies' parents there," he said.
"And then of course the police had the conversation with us."

'The front of the bus was gone': A father arrives at the Humboldt crash site | CBC News

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I just watched an interview with Scott Thomas, whose 18 year old son Evan died in the accident.

The father was traveling with the father of the opposing team's goalie to the game, and were about 45 minutes behind the bus on the same road. When they came upon the wreck, and having played minor hockey when he was younger, the father knew right away his son was killed, as the pecking order on the bus put rookies at the front, and veterans in the back.

"You're at the church and most of the families are there. All the veterans' parents start getting phone calls, we got your boy, come to the hospital. You get a little deeper and at the end of the night it's mostly the rookies' parents there," he said.
"And then of course the police had the conversation with us."

'The front of the bus was gone': A father arrives at the Humboldt crash site | CBC News
Crushing.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Crushing.

It truly is. It was also heartbreaking hearing this particular father talking about the small birthmark on his son's cheek. He said when his kid got home from school when he was younger, he tried to wipe the birthmark off because kids were making fun of him. The dad told him, 'That's you,' and that makes you distinct.

He could have never imagined he would one day identify his son's body by that birthmark.

It's very devastating hearing stories like that.

This was at least some better news:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I wore my jersey to work and employees at so many stores wore them today. It is a nice way to honour the Broncos.

Hi De Hi

Jul 2, 2015
Solihull, UK
IMG_1782.JPG

Decided that green shirts (even though Hawks) were the most appropriate for us. Hockey isn't big in the UK and we spent quite some time explaining to folks out and about why we were wearing them.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
This kid.

9A303AFC-C459-42CB-BDFD-C9410C050657.jpeg

This kid.
I had the privilege of meeting this kid today.
To my amazement, Ryan Straschnitzki had been transferred to Shriners Hospital in Philly last week, since they specialize in spinal injuries. With a friend-of-a-friend - a local hockey billet mom and her boys, I was able to visit Ryan and his parents today!
You never met a kid so determined. He’s in PT 3 hours/day and working out in his room as well. He came with his dad who says “no more cheat days.” He’s doing music therapy, playing ping pong, basketball, air hockey.
He’s supposed to be here 6-8 weeks, but he’s determined to accelerate the timing. Meanwhile, mom, who had been home with 3 younger siblings, came in yesterday for a week.
It’s been two months since the accident now. I know he has suffered and continues to experience excruciating pain. He’s making amazing progress, and he’s truly an inspiration.

Teen Canadian hockey player paralyzed in bus crash to rehab at Shriners Hospital
Paralyzed Humboldt Bronco is making good progress in U.S. hospital, father says | CBC News

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Why is this a big deal? The guy who owns a transport company is supposed to lose his whole business forever because one driver under him ran a stop light? Don't the parents have more important things to do than to run a witch hunt and scapegoat someone?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why is this a big deal? The guy who owns a transport company is supposed to lose his whole business forever because one driver under him ran a stop light? Don't the parents have more important things to do than to run a witch hunt and scapegoat someone?
because legally, they could come after that company....

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The driver of a transport truck faces 29 criminal charges in a fatal collision that killed 16 people, including 10 players, with the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team.

Thirteen other players were injured.

RCMP say Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is accused of dangerous driving causing death as well as causing bodily injury.
He was arrested Friday morning and was being held in custody pending a court appearance in Saskatchewan next week.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Ryan and his family went home on Independence Day. It’s the first time he’s been home in 3 months.

During his last week in Philly, his family was hosted by the Flyers Alumni (golf tournament), Flyers dev camp where he hung out with Ghost & Giroux, the Phillies had them to a game and the Eagles also had them visit their facility. Very impressed with the Flyers organization (who were responsible for arranging all of the above).

A team of volunteers are now working on making his house wheelchair accessible, while the family stays at a nearby hotel.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

The driver of a transport truck faces 29 criminal charges in a fatal collision that killed 16 people, including 10 players, with the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team.

Thirteen other players were injured.

RCMP say Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is accused of dangerous driving causing death as well as causing bodily injury.
He was arrested Friday morning and was being held in custody pending a court appearance in Saskatchewan next week.

Glad they finally charged someone.

Enjoy prison. I have no sympathy for this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad