Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This week's SI's cover and feature story

The Logan Effect: Lives lost, lives saved

Reactions: BMC and mjhfb

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I know he has to live with it inside his own head for the rest of his life, but 8 years behind bars for taking and altering so many lives just seems like not enough.

He received 8 years per victim, but unlike some sentences in the US, this one is served concurrently, at the same time. In the US, the same sentence would mean he'd be behind bars likely for the rest of his life.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
It's craziness to me that in their judicial world 8 years is a "severe" sentence. I guess the only saving grace of this sentence is that the Canadian tax payers will only have to support him for 3-5 years before he is released from prison and then deported.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I watched the victim impact statements last month, and it was mixed. Some family members will never forgive Sidhu, while others have.

One of the victim's fathers, Scott Thomas, met privately with him during the hearings. Today Thomas revealed that his shirt was wet with the Sidhu's tears. He even gave his cell number to members of his family if they ever needed someone to talk to.

I have an immeasurable amount of respect and admiration for Scott Thomas. I doubt I'd be able to handle the situation the unbelievably admirable way he has.

'I feel horribly for my son's killer'

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I watched the victim impact statements last month, and it was mixed. Some family members will never forgive Sidhu, while others have.

One of the victim's fathers, Scott Thomas, met privately with him during the hearings. Today Thomas revealed that his shirt was wet with the Sidhu's tears. He even gave his cell number to members of his family if they ever needed someone to talk to.

I have an immeasurable amount of respect and admiration for Scott Thomas. I doubt I'd be able to handle the situation the unbelievably admirable way he has.

he is a far better human than I.

Reactions: BMC and Aeroforce

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t want to take anything away from this tradegy or the fact this man made a huge mistake that killed all these kids. But he didn’t do it intentionally, he made a huge mistake and it cost people their lives. I live in the US but I am from Canada and lived in Saskatchewan for over 5 years. I know this intersection very well and drove it every week. This man has to live with the guilt everyday. As far as justice goes 8 years is nothing compared to the guilt. In the US we live in a society where we let predators out of jail and lock up people for life for illegal drugs. Canada let Karla Holmoka out in 8 years(ridiculous). I firmly believe in justice but I also believe in second chances for cases like this. The driver is a good man who made a big mistake with the ultimate consequences. All the holes in the Swiss cheese aligned. He could have made the same mistake 100 times and never hit anything but the ditch. So very very sad but I don’t agree with throwing away another life (his) because of this unfortunate tradegy.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

There was a great article in the paper today and my wife read me a piece of it. He was apparently travelling and eating at an airport restaurant and said the waitress recognized him and wouldn't let him pay for his meal. He says that this has affected us all in some way and he's right.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Today is the one year anniversary of this horrible accident, and I'm sure it's an extremely difficult day for the families. I remember the accident happening on a Friday night, so in many ways today felt like the anniversary.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I can't believe it's already been a year.

I remember one of the most horrifying things was that they misidentified one of the kids at first because he was so beat up. One of the families spent at least the night thinking their son was alive only to find out he was dead, and another family thought their son was dead only to discover he was still alive. I can't even imagine.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can't believe it's already been a year.

I remember one of the most horrifying things was that they misidentified one of the kids at first because he was so beat up. One of the families spent at least the night thinking their son was alive only to find out he was dead, and another family thought their son was dead only to discover he was still alive. I can't even imagine.

Reactions: Aeroforce and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad