Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a powerful read

From the mother of a Humboldt Bronco, a plea to buckle up and save lives

img_1862-copy-e1536274449680.jpg

On April 6, 2018, my son Stephen Wack was killed in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash.

Stephen was a 21-year-old six-foot-five defenceman with a smile and heart to match his size. Above all else, Stephen valued his relationships with God, family, friends and teammates.

While playing out his junior hockey years, Stephen’s intellect and creativity led him to pursue an interest in videography. He proved to be a talented videographer, and he planned to attain a business degree to facilitate his career in the field.
My deepest gratitude goes out to the many first responders who handled our loved ones with care, and investigators for their diligence and open communication throughout the investigative process.

On July 6, charges were laid against the driver of the semi-truck, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu: 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, and 13 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily injury.

To Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, I say the following: I forgive you. Since Stephen’s death in the crash that day, I often ask myself, what would Stephen think, say or do? The answers often govern my actions. I can say with conviction that my son Stephen would forgive you. Stephen was a spiritual young man with a strong faith in God. He practised forgiveness with an open heart and was compassionate by nature.

That said, we have driving laws for the protection and safety of our citizens. The driver of the truck is charged with violating laws resulting in the death of 16 and injury of 13, and it is just that he be tried accordingly. For me personally, however, closure is not dependent on the outcome of the case. I continue to heal and grow through my grief.

I would like to address the need for shoulder harness seatbelts on all coach buses in Canada, along with the need for legislation making it compulsory to wear those seatbelts.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Humboldt Broncos player Layne Matechuk leaves hospital after 6 month stay | Globalnews.ca

Working with rehabilitation staff daily in hospital, Layne underwent speech therapy, physiotherapy and occupational therapy.
He will continue with outpatient appointments in hospital, in addition to rehab elsewhere.
Layne is starting to comprehend what happened to the Broncos, though his memory and understanding come and go due to his head injury, his sister explained.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The victim impact statements have been gut-wrenching. Some family members have expressed forgiveness, including the coach's wife; while others aren't there yet, and don't know if they ever will.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The victim impact statements have been gut-wrenching. Some family members have expressed forgiveness, including the coach's wife; while others aren't there yet, and don't know if they ever will.

I have some compassion for the driver as it is obvious he was badly trained for the job but it satisfied requirements in Saskatawan.

That said this is heartbreaking to watch

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't think that is necessarily right either. Did he have a record prior? If so, perhaps.

If not I think more suitable would be community service for life.

The truck driver is in some way a victim as well. He was inexperienced but Saskatawan is very lax on driver licensing. There was no indication he was distracted by his phone but somehow missed the stop sign. He was not on drugs or impaired by alcohol and now has to live with this for the rest of his life.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The truck driver is in some way a victim as well. He was inexperienced but Saskatawan is very lax on driver licensing. There was no indication he was distracted by his phone but somehow missed the stop sign. He was not on drugs or impaired by alcohol and now has to live with this for the rest of his life.

If he is a person with a conscience having to live with what he did for the rest of his days is a terrible punishment. The key word is "if".

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I don't think that is necessarily right either. Did he have a record prior? If so, perhaps.

If not I think more suitable would be community service for life.
They reported he had 74 driving violations on record and he should have been pulled off the road. If he had been stopped by the police for anything this would have popped up and he would not have been allowed to drive until they were cleared up. The rules are so weak, and this is the result. Can’t go back now and change what might have been but he does need to do some serious time, I would suspect he will end up with 8 years and probably 10 year driving ban, not enough in my opinion. So many lives ruined that day, most will never be the same.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Humboldt Broncos make SJHL playoffs after devastating bus crash - Sportsnet.ca

HUMBOLDT, Sask. — The rebuilt Humboldt Broncos hockey team is heading to the playoffs.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League team was devastated after its bus and a transport truck collided at a rural intersection almost a year ago.

Sixteen people — including 10 players — were killed and 13 players were injured.

Two surviving players returned this season, but the rest of the team was essentially built from scratch after a May training camp.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Humboldt Broncos make SJHL playoffs after devastating bus crash - Sportsnet.ca

HUMBOLDT, Sask. — The rebuilt Humboldt Broncos hockey team is heading to the playoffs.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League team was devastated after its bus and a transport truck collided at a rural intersection almost a year ago.

Sixteen people — including 10 players — were killed and 13 players were injured.

Two surviving players returned this season, but the rest of the team was essentially built from scratch after a May training camp.

*Stick tap* :hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey:

Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
They reported he had 74 driving violations on record and he should have been pulled off the road. If he had been stopped by the police for anything this would have popped up and he would not have been allowed to drive until they were cleared up. The rules are so weak, and this is the result. Can’t go back now and change what might have been but he does need to do some serious time, I would suspect he will end up with 8 years and probably 10 year driving ban, not enough in my opinion. So many lives ruined that day, most will never be the same.
Sounds like he'll be deported after he serves his time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad