Friedman: Sabres won't sell low on Girgensons

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The guy is disappointing this year, wonder if he did get traded if going to a new team would revitalize him. I think Buffalo would want a 2nd or 3rd rounder back for him.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Wonder if the young d was say manson/montour , not fowler.

I doubt it. Fowler was where all the smoke was during the summer, and that was coming from some fairly reliable sources. Also, Manson and Montour aren't LHD. It would have been Theodore or Larsson if they were after prospects.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
The guy is disappointing this year, wonder if he did get traded if going to a new team would revitalize him. I think Buffalo would want a 2nd or 3rd rounder back for him.

So who is taking his place on the roster? Maybe think again.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's being underutilized due to roster makeup. The Sabres are in last place in goals for in the league (basically due to the circa 1995 NJ Devils system Bylsma is using).

You take any 3rd line center on a contender in the league, and stick him 8-10 min per game with no special teams time on the current Sabres 4th line with Grant and Delaurier, and they will produce the same as Girgensons currently is.

He's being put in a position where it is impossible to succeed, and that is why other GMs are sniffing around.

No offense, but Buffalo is the #26 team in the NHL and just had a few months without their #1/2 C in Eichel. If Girgs could not show he deserves more icetime then, it only gets worse with Eichel back.

I agree he could be better, but he will not get the minutes he got a fed years ago with Buffalo as they had no talent.....by design. Teams will be acquiring him to be a #3/4 center.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I think Montreal is looking to add to their lineup. They won't give up a guy from their roster to get a guy like Girgensons IMO. It will be draft picks or a prospect.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
No offense, but Buffalo is the #26 team in the NHL and just had a few months without their #1/2 C in Eichel. If Girgs could not show he deserves more icetime then, it only gets worse with Eichel back.

I agree he could be better, but he will not get the minutes he got a fed years ago with Buffalo as they had no talent.....by design. Teams will be acquiring him to be a #3/4 center.

No offense taken. We both say that Girgensons should be a 3rd line center, so we are in agreement.

The Sabres are dead last in goals per game though.

Also "shows he deserves more ice time" requires a coach that can identify a player playing well/poorly and adjust. Bylsma has proven he cannot do that.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
People need to get past the whole "trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick" nonsense.

The guy isn't dead weight that the Sabres need to shed, nor is he some locker room/off ice issue the way some other players are, he's simply under performing. I don't think the Sabres are expecting some big acquisition (likely a similar reclamation project type player), but there's no way they're interested in giving him up for a pick. He's getting us a roster player back in a trade, otherwise the Sabres will just keep him.

Last edited:

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
He was our first line center in 2013 that subsequently brought in Reinhart and Eichel. He never had elite skill, but he had plenty of drive and superb board play to warrant his usage.

Lately, he's being used as a 3rd/4th line winger, and can hardly control the puck once he gets it. He reminder me of Kane, but much less skilled. I think he's focusing way to much on his game, and instead of thinking about the simple move, is getting too wrapped up in the broader play.

I really don't know a solution. I like Girgensons, and I think every Sabres fan does, but something isn't clicking.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
From the draft Girgensons was looked at as a strong Defensive first center. He was not looked at as a 25-30g player.

He would be a 3rd line center. Buffalo also has Larsson who developed chemistry with FOLlGNO AND Gionta making a 3rd line.

They have 5 of their top 6 in ROR, eichel, reinhart, kane, and okposo.

Nylander projects as part of that top 6 and Kane is a Ufa in 2018 so a prospect could develop and take a place there.

Gionta contract ends after this season so Girgensons could replace him on the 3rd line.

This offseason, he, foligno, and Larsson are all RFAs.

They could also keep Girgensons as 3rd center and then trade Larsson.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Bylsma's playing him 9 minutes on the fourth line every night, regardless of how he plays. Not many players will produce in that situation, especially on a Buffalo team that already produces so little at ES.

The title says they won't sell low, so why would they want a second or third round pick? Why not just keep him in the bottom 6?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bylsma's playing him 9 minutes on the fourth line every night, regardless of how he plays. Not many players will produce in that situation, especially on a Buffalo team that already produces so little at ES.

The title says they won't sell low, so why would they want a second or third round pick? Why not just keep him in the bottom 6?

This is a fun narrative, but what about the 15 games preceding his Black Friday demotion where he was averaging over 13 mins/game in TOI and he had zero goals and two assists during that time? Frankly, I'd prefer him in the top-6 LW rotation over either Carrier or Moulson, but he was absolutely given an opportunity. I think there are several separate questions here:

1. Has he played better since his demotion to the 4th line? Yes.

2. Should he be rewarded with more ice time because of that improved play? Yes. (He hasn't received as much as he should, but it has increased over the last three games.)

3. Prior to his demotion, was he given an opportunity to produce more at ES but failed to do so? Yes.

There's no reason to sell low on him, however. He still has a role on the team given his shot- and goal-suppression talent.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Sabres wont sell low on girgensons. 29 other nhl teams wont buy high on girgensons. Girgensons will not move

Beaulieu is worth more than him and its not close. We also need him alot more than girgensons. We need top 6 lw not another bottom 6 player. We're plenty deep there

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Strome for Girgensons.

NYI needs to be the premier grind team in the NHL.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Don't trade Girgensens. Fire the idiot coach first (preferably today--hire Gallant, if you can) and reassess what everyone looks like in the offseason.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Don't trade Girgensens. Fire the idiot coach first (preferably today--hire Gallant, if you can) and reassess what everyone looks like in the offseason.

The guy who was giving prime O-zone starts to Shawn Thornton and Derek McKenzie? Pass, thanks.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
"Here, take this low bid. He's hardly worth that..."
3/4 C's with very little offense aren't worth much. I keep hearing about his great defensive play but his own coach won't even put him on to help a putrid PK.
He's Anton Lander without the elite FO skills

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad