Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Buffalo fans would be a lot happier with those trades than Jets or Oilers fans.

I'd be disappointed if RNH was the return. Ignoring the most recent season where RNH rode McDavid's coattails to a bunch of PP points, he's a 45-50 point player in most years, sometimes a little more, and a statistical nightmare on the other side of the puck. He generally barely outscores Risto despite being a forward and doesn't really bring anything to the game besides scoring.

I can't say I'd be disappointed in Ehlers the player, but I'd be upset if we traded Risto without addressing any actual roster needs in the trade. We have too many LWs as is. Sure, Ehlers is better than most of them, but his presence wouldn't do anything to fix our lack of options at C or RW.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'd be disappointed if RNH was the return. Ignoring the most recent season where RNH rode McDavid's coattails to a bunch of PP points, he's a 45-50 point player in most years, sometimes a little more, and a statistical nightmare on the other side of the puck. He generally barely outscores Risto despite being a forward and doesn't really bring anything to the game besides scoring.

I can't say I'd be disappointed in Ehlers the player, but I'd be upset if we traded Risto without addressing any actual roster needs in the trade. We have too many LWs as is. Sure, Ehlers is better than most of them, but his presence wouldn't do anything to fix our lack of options at C or RW.

Nuge is a lot better of a two way player than he gets credit for. He’s also an excellent skater and has an underrated shot, one of the quicker on the stick off the stick releases.

He’s always the first forward back in the zone as he backchecks hard, positionally he’s quite strong and responsible defensively. This doesn’t show up if you’re just analyzing his spreadsheet stats. At the 2016 WCH he was lauded for his defensive play and one of the few times he had a lot of eyes on him at once.

The problem is he generally has absolutely no help on the ice when he’s out there with AHLers on his wing.

Nuge is a better player than Ehlers and far more versatile, he could be a centre or play on the wing effectively with Eichel. He’s a good playmaker, he could actually be a really good option as a winger for Eichel.

He’s been linked to the Sabres for awhile now, at least on here his name almost always comes up in trade discussions for Risto. Personally, I think the Sabres add here but don’t think it’s a big add — B level prospect or mid round pick.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

I'd hate it if the Oilers traded RNH for Ristolainen. Add an extra 20 plus goals against with Risto on the ice.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005

I'd say you don't watch a lot of RNH. His two-way play would be one of my favourite parts of his game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Well I think Jets fans would be upset with losing Ehlers, AND getting Risto back as the return, so I think we'd still have you beat there.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

That's fine, but your also ignoring the fact that Edmonton would be looking for a defender if trading RNH, and Ristolainen is a career -143.
RNH as a forward plays better defence than Risto.....and puts up 20+ more points.
how do you justify that looking at it through Oilers point of view?
The Oilers in this scenario would lose over 20 points of production and give up 30 goals against.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well one of Ehlers or Nugent-Hopkins will be a Sabre to start the upcoming season.

Doubt it’s Nuge outside of an overpayment.

You guys need a player like Nuge more than we need Risto.

Nuge can play 2C or 1LW, he can also play on the PP and PK.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd say you don't watch a lot of RNH. His two-way play would be one of my favourite parts of his game.

I've done this song and dance with many Oiler fans already. I'm just going to say there are no metrics supporting the assertion that Nugent-Hopkins is anything other than below average defensively and leave it at that.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I've done this song and dance with many Oiler fans already. I'm just going to say there are no metrics supporting the assertion that Nugent-Hopkins is anything other than below average defensively and leave it at that.

I don't disagree, but the same is true of Ristolainen whom you defend with an impressive vigor.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nuge > Risto.

Offensive minded, but defensively challenged DEFENCEman don't have the value you think they do. Just look how attractive a guy like Gardiner is. And Risto is worse at defence. No way Nuge is up for grabs for that type of player.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Sounds like whatever team trades for Risto, their fans are going to go ballistic no matter what the cost. Should be entertaining. :popcorn:

Pretty much. I'm completely fine keeping him as I am trading him for the right piece. If it's Ehlers or Hopkins, okay. At this point the Sabres have "depth" on the back end that they haven't had since the Campbell, Lydman, Tallinder days. Which tells you that it is possibly time to deal Ristolainen. There are "pro's and con's", to letting Kruger see how he does as many have mentioned. You could bet on him with less minutes proving more valuable, or you could see him shed some of his already polarizing value. Either way, it's the other team that will put up or shut up. Botterill has pretty much been building up the blue line pipeline since day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad