Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Bob Stauffer, who is about 50/50 in predicting Oilers’ moves, apparently mentioned the Risto as a target of the Oil yesterday. I have been looking at everything, but I cannot for the life of me, come up with a single reasonable deal involving Risto to the Oilers. Nothing makes sense. Between cap issues, and similar team timelines, and similar team weaknesses, there’s just no deal to be made here. The three proposals here on the trade board are all pretty bad for one or both teams.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I’d be surprised if a Ristolainen to Edmonton trade happened, too.

As you said the 2 teams don’t appear to be good trade partners.

It seems like Wdmonton could really only offer more of a futures package and it has been said more than once that Buffalo is not looking for futures or picks in a Ristolainen trade.

Buffalo would want a #2C or a good, young, established top 6 RW.

Neither are a position of strength in the oilers organization (Neal appears to be near the top of their RW depth chart). They need top 6 forwards as badly as the Sabres do.

Plus, Ken Holland isn’t exactly someone I think of when I think of blockbuster trades...
History of hockey trades by general manager Ken Holland - NHL Trade Tracker

I can’t see him being willing (or able) to pay the price Buffalo is asking.

I just don’t see a Risto to Edmonton trade happening. Unless they’re willing to do more of a 1 for 1 hockey trade (which I don’t see either, due to it being a poor match)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Bob Stauffer, who is about 50/50 in predicting Oilers’ moves, apparently mentioned the Risto as a target of the Oil yesterday. I have been looking at everything, but I cannot for the life of me, come up with a single reasonable deal involving Risto to the Oilers. Nothing makes sense. Between cap issues, and similar team timelines, and similar team weaknesses, there’s just no deal to be made here. The three proposals here on the trade board are all pretty bad for one or both teams.
Risto for RNH

2 players valued too highly be their team's fans, both sides are going to hate it equally.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Anything is possible. If these are professional grade GMs then Botts can accept picks/prospects for Risto and then add a 3rd team right after that he has lined up that IS a good trade partner that is rebuilding.. Now, who is that third team??

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Risto for RNH

2 players valued too highly be their team's fans, both sides are going to hate it equally.
I have a feeling this is it too if it happens, although I wouldnt 'hate it' as much as some I suppose. Definitely some over/under valuing by both fanbases with each player. Risto gives EDM that 2RD behind Larsson getting easier minutes and 1PP time, perhaps they want Drai to drive his own line now at 2C and go from there. I know EDM fans say hell no, but I can see it. RNH can be the bridge at 2C for 2 years before Mitts hopefully takes it for BUF. It does make some sense whether this board believes it or not. (trades happen all the time this board didnt approve of prior to it happening)

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Risto for RNH

This has been my opinion all along. I feel if Risto is traded, it will be to Edmonton for RNH or to Winnipeg for Ehlers. Other pieces may be involved but those would be the principles. RNH makes the most sense to me though.

Reactions: Jarvi

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This has been my opinion all along. I feel if Risto is traded, it will be to Edmonton for RNH or to Winnipeg for Ehlers. Other pieces may be involved but those would be the principles. RNH makes the most sense to me though.

I think Buffalo fans would be a lot happier with those trades than Jets or Oilers fans.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Risto for RNH

I just don’t see it. Edmonton’s center depth is somehow worse than ours.

But I think the value is a lot closer than Edmonton fans think.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
not really.

Chia might have thought that trade was fair.
Chia would think Draisaitl for Risto is fair. Stop overrating Hopkins and underrating Risto. RNH is just as much of a statistical shit show, despite having just as much obvious talent.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Chia would think Draisaitl for Risto is fair. Stop overrating Hopkins and underrating Risto. RNH is just as much of a statistical **** show, despite having just as much obvious talent.
I'm not over rating hopkins though

and your GM was too dumb to dupe Chia, remember turning down Risto for Hall?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
How about Ristolainen for Toffoli and Kale Clague? I think he would be a great guy on the second pair behind Doughty for the Kings moving forward, and the Kings have a lot of left-handed defensive prospects (Bjornfot, Anderson, Clague, Brickley) but not much on the right side (Durzi and...).

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
How about Ristolainen for Toffoli and Kale Clague? I think he would be a great guy on the second pair behind Doughty for the Kings moving forward, and the Kings have a lot of left-handed defensive prospects (Bjornfot, Anderson, Clague, Brickley) but not much on the right side (Durzi and...).
Toffoli is nowhere near enough as the main piece for Risto. Toffoli for McCabe works, though.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I'm not over rating hopkins though

and your GM was too dumb to dupe Chia, remember turning down Risto for Hall?
Different GM and tbf what I believe was reported was that EDM had targeted a range of younger defensemen across the league and was turned down by everyone until NJD.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Different GM and tbf what I believe was reported was that EDM had targeted a range of younger defensemen across the league and was turned down by everyone until NJD.
What blows me away is that Chia was so stupid, that he thought Hall for Risto was a good trade, ..
what's even more mind blowing, is Buffalo was even dumber to turn it down.
no wonder their fans think they can get RNH for him 1 for 1

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Buffalo fans would be a lot happier with those trades than Jets or Oilers fans.

Literally that would go down in Jets history as the worse/least popular trade in Jets 1.0 & 2.0 history........actually the Selanne trade was the worse trade, Ehlers for Ristolainen would be the 2nd worse in the history of the team. I could see fans chanting for Chevy to be fired at games, that how bad that trade would be viewed.

Reactions: booyakasha

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Zero interest in Winnipeg for that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad