News Article: Sabres to name captain following camp; 10/7: Gionta 'C', Gorges 'A', Moulson 'A'

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Ya know, I did want one of the kids to get an A (Myers/Hodg/Ennis), but now that it's done and outta the way, I am absolutely fine with this. Veteran leadership in, and like a poster had replied to my earlier comment, now the youngins can focus solely on development. Man oh man, are we doing it right or what boys? :)

In other news, 2/3 of our leadership group went to the Conference Final last year. TANK=RUINED :sarcasm:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@BuffaloSabres: Gorges: I like being that guy the young guys can come to when they have a question. I don't have all the answers but will help best I can.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

Gorges: It's special, an honor to have an "A." Doesn't change how you play. Do whatever it takes. #Sabres

BzW8MYwIQAA73aL.jpg:large

Moulson: It's nice to have a home, it's nice to have a letter. It doesn't change the way you play. #Sabres

BzW9MVhCQAAaGIw.jpg:large

Gionta: It starts in that room, holding each other accountable. Not letting anyone down. Giving that little extra.

BzW-GnhIMAEAUuP.jpg:large

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Wait, so two players who have never played a game for the Sabres are team captains? haha.

If the Bills acquired Drew Brees this offseason, I'm sure you'd be arguing that he shouldn't be one of the team captains. You know, because he's never played a down for the Bills before.

:rolleyes:

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
So we have this awesome looking locker room and people can't even close the door to the storage room in the background when taking a pic of the new captains??!!?? Gong show.

This was obviously intentional. That blue can is where they store all of the C's that they needed to stockpile to be able to keep trading captains away. Ironically, making the blue can the longest tenured member of the organization to have a C.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Leadership Press Conferences (10/7/14)

Josh Gorges Press Conference (10/7/14)
[NHL]637817[/NHL]

Matt Moulson Press Conference (10/7/14)
[NHL]637814[/NHL]

Brian Gionta Press Conference (10/7/14)
[NHL]637812[/NHL]

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No brainer choices. Lot of posters here perfectly guessed the captains. So glad we signed Gionta and gave him the C then bring back Ott and give him it. Steve Ott does NOT deserve to ever wear a C in this franchise .

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Still think Gorges would've been a better choice but it's no matter. We all assumed Gionta was going to be the choice. No qualms with Moulson being an A but I do feel like Stafford gets boned a bit. I see some people mention how he will probably not be here next year but I don't see how that matters. 50 bucks says there will be one different guy wearing a letter next season anyhow, even with all three of these guys returning.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Am I wrong to assume they chose Gionta because of his age and the fact that he will likely retire in a few years, at which point you find a younger, long term Captain?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Am I wrong to assume they chose Gionta because of his age and the fact that he will likely retire in a few years, at which point you find a younger, long term Captain?

It's crossed my mind and certainly seems like a benefit in my book, but I'm not sure we should assume it was any deciding factor. Let's not forget he's a local guy and was the captain of the Canadiens. So, there are a lot of things that could've gone into it besides his fitness for the job.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It's crossed my mind and certainly seems like a benefit in my book, but I'm not sure we should assume it was any deciding factor. Let's not forget he's a local guy and was the captain of the Canadiens. So, there are a lot of things that could've gone into it besides his fitness for the job.

That's fair and sums it up nicely.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That's fair and sums it up nicely.

When Nolan Said today in his presser "I'm sure you're all surprised at the choice" sarcastically, it made it clearer to me that the delay was more about the alternates and Gionta was brought in with the assumption he would be the leader.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
No brainer choices. Lot of posters here perfectly guessed the captains. So glad we signed Gionta and gave him the C then bring back Ott and give him it. Steve Ott does NOT deserve to ever wear a C in this franchise .

IMHO they couldn't bring Ott back and NOT give him the C.

In 2 or 3 years, I could picture Ott coming to us at the deadline for 4th line depth on a cup run... Mike Grier redux.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Those choices were well expected and for good reasons. Congrats to Gionta, Gorges and Moulson. That's a respectable trio who will lead our young guns to greatness.

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad