News Article: Sabres to name captain following camp; 10/7: Gionta 'C', Gorges 'A', Moulson 'A'

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Embarrassing for the author of the article to not know what the word "commencement" means. Every once in a while my girlfriend, who is a fan of nothing in particular, reads a bit of sports journalism over my shoulder and her jaw pretty much always drops at the lack of not just writing style, but basics of grammar, syntax, spelling and definitions.

It's sad that we just accept that from people we pay to write.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
May as well revisit the offseason topic: Who do you want and who do you think it will be? I'm pulling for Gorges, but don't really care. I think he's a more insightful and articulate -- less cliche-ridden -- face for the team with the media, etc. The word from Canadiens fans seems to indicate they think he was the more captain-y of the two. I can't see it being someone other than these two, but that wouldn't upset me depending on who it is.

As to who I think it will be, I'd put the money on Gionta.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Embarrassing for the author of the article to not know what the word "commencement" means. Every once in a while my girlfriend, who is a fan of nothing in particular, reads a bit of sports journalism over my shoulder and her jaw pretty much always drops at the lack of not just writing style, but basics of grammar, syntax, spelling and definitions.

It's sad that we just accept that from people we pay to write.

So then why is there a "commencement" ceremony when you graduate college? A commencement is a celebration of something completed.

There could be a commencement ceremony at the end of camp announcing the captain.

Though I do think the author was just trying to get too fancy.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
So then why is there a "commencement" ceremony when you graduate college? A commencement is a celebration of something completed.

There could be a commencement ceremony at the end of camp announcing the captain.

I'm not going to argue the dictionary with you. The conclusion of a training camp is not "training camp commencement." As for why universities long ago appropriated the word for their graduations, I can only assume it's because that's the beginning of the rest of your life. But there's no wider tradition of using the term for anything other than "beginning."

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Commencement means beginning. "To commence" means to begin. The reason graduation is called commencement is to signify that the time is the beginning of something new. Come on, now, that's a line from almost every graduation speech ever given. :laugh:

My money is on Gionta. And that's just fine with me.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Commencement means beginning. "To commence" means to begin. The reason graduation is called commencement is to signify that the time is the beginning of something new. Come on, now, that's a line from almost every graduation speech ever given. :laugh:

Isn't one of Pegula's things "Sabres University"?????

I wouldn't put it past management at all if they consider getting through training camp as some sort of collegiate experience and have a "commencement ceremony" at the end of camp.

It fits.

I know that the colloquial/common use of commencement is "a beginning". But, a commencement is also a celebratory ceremony -- why not hype up the naming of the next Sabres captain??? It's about all we'll have to celebrate until June...... :laugh:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Isn't one of Pegula's things "Sabres University"?????

I wouldn't put it past management at all if they consider getting through training camp as some sort of collegiate experience and have a "commencement ceremony" at the end of camp.

It fits.

I know that the colloquial/common use of commencement is "a beginning". But, a commencement is also a celebratory ceremony -- why not hype up the naming of the next Sabres captain??? It's about all we'll have to celebrate until June...... :laugh:

(A) it's only a celebration in the context of college graduation - again, check the dictionary. (B) Nobody from the Sabres is calling it what you're trying to call it. Fact. So the writer should know that there's no trick meaning being used in this case and he's just using the word wrong.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I think the Sabres will reveal their new captain the way the revealed their third jersey last season: One small piece at a time on twitter until no-one gave a damn anymore.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I can't tell you exactly why they do call it a commencement at graduations, but it's not because commencement means the end of something, as it in fact means the beginning. I imagine it has to do with graduation being the beginning of adult life, etc. Using this sense metaphorically to mark the end of a thing is obviously ambiguous when the primary sense means "beginning", the opposite. I would not assume that the author doesn't actually just think commencement means end.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Gionta will be the C. I think Gorges will get one A. And in the spirit of things, they'll split the other A between Stafford and Moulson.

Agree. I could maybe see the 3rd A going to a younger player that's starting to emerge as a leader and that they want as part of their leadership group going forward (ie: Girgensons, Myers), though Moulson/Stafford is the more likely scenario.

JGNY

Sep 23, 2014
I am thinking it is going to be Gionta. Seems the most logical since he isn't here long term and we will have to go through this again in two years.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We could also have 4 As. Gorges, Moulson, Stafford/Myers, Girgensons

JMO, but if we were going with no C, I'd think we'd have heard by now just to put the topic to bed.

The more "interesting" thing is how will Nolan decide on the C? Will it be player vote or coach's decision?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
JMO, but if we were going with no C, I'd think we'd have heard by now just to put the topic to bed.

The more "interesting" thing is how will Nolan decide on the C? Will it be player vote or coach's decision?

I think in the current scenario, it should be Nolan's decision

I think it's a 3 man race. Gorges, Gionta, and Stafford

Gionta - the logical choice from the experience perspective... but at 35, with diminishing skills is it the right choice? Considering he has a 3 year contract... do we want to be in a situation where we may need to take the C away next year or the following?

Gorges - the odds on favorite in my opinion. His interviews exude leadership, he leads by example on the ice, he's still on the right side of his prime years as a defensemen. He is a vocal guy, and as much as the "lead by example" type is preferred at times... i think this team will need the vocal guy just as much. His contract (4 yrs) dovetails perfectly into the transition to a new leadership core as this team emerges from it's development phase.

Stafford - He's the longest tenured Sabre... but in the last year of his contract. We've heard from a lot of sources about his leadership in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad