News Article: Sabres to name captain following camp; 10/7: Gionta 'C', Gorges 'A', Moulson 'A'

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Yeah that's the weird thing to me. None of these players have been around through the hard times. Moulson to a degree, but not really. It's like if a company had a bunch of promotions available, but then they outsourced all of them. It might taste a little sour to the people who struggled through the lean times. I thought they'd at least give an A to someone who has been around the block.

I think thatsthepoint. During the lean times there weren't any leaders.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
GIONTA NAMED SABRES CAPTAIN: http://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2014/10/07/gionta-named-sabres-captain/
BUFFALO, N.Y. (October 7, 2014) --- Buffalo Sabres head coach Ted Nolan today announced he has named forward Brian Gionta team captain. Nolan also announced that he has selected defenseman Josh Gorges and forward Matt Moulson as the team’s alternate captains.

Gionta, who spent the last four seasons as captain of the Montreal Canadiens, becomes the 19th full-season captain in franchise history and will be the 27th player to wear the captain’s “C” for at least a one-month period.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Shawn Stepner @StepnerWKBW 3m
BREAKING: I'm told Brian Gionta has been named #Sabres captain. Josh Gorges and Matt Moulson get the A's. #NHL #Buffalo

Nailed it!

Not sure why people thought Stafford would get one. Even if he's "earned" it, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he's being traded eventually this year. Why do we want to play the letter carousel game again?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
BzWve36CYAAfTx7.jpg:large

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloSabres - It's Official - @Giostyle21 named #SabresCaptain, @jgorges26 & @MMoulson alternates.

@BuffNewsVogl - The Sabres have named Brian Gionta as captain - with Josh Gorges and Matt Moulson as alternates.

@kevinoDandC - #Sabres make it official. Greece native Brian Gionta is their captain.
Josh Gorges and Matt Moulson will be the #Sabres alternate captains
Brian Gionta wore the C as captain for the Montreal Canadiens for four years.
He was just the second American to be Canadiens captain.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So we have this awesome looking locker room and people can't even close the door to the storage room in the background when taking a pic of the new captains??!!?? Gong show.

Way to have our Captain have shoes on that don't match the Jerseys, what kind of leader is that:sarcasm:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
"Every great team needs great leaders," then the camera turns off and what we don't hear is "we've got these guys, so ya know, good luck, and uhhhh ya let's try not to look to bad."

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Wait, so two players who have never played a game for the Sabres are team captains? haha.

I think the point of this is to take the pressure off the young guys and provide some stability that has really been lacking since, well, Mike Peca got traded.

Gionta is here for 3 years, Moulson for 5, and Gorges for 4.

3 years of not dealing with this captain speculation? I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad