Sabres suspend Zach Bogosian for failing to report to the AHL

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Cant say I blame him. I havent look at the standings but I cant imagine the Sabres farm team is much better than the parent club. Id not want to report either.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
For context, here is why a lot of Sabres fans are sour on the guy:

His Sabre career
243 games played.
170 games missed.
13 goals, 54 assists.
10 fights.
Minus-49 rating.
Minus-464 Corsi.
Approximately $27.5 million in salary.

Second only to Ville Leino

Reactions: seagull and qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I used to be a fan. I probably took longer than most to realise how bad he has been with Buffalo. I wanted him to be a Leaf for a long time, thinking that Babcock was the kind of coach to get Bogo's game back on track.

But there's nothing now to suggest that Bogosian is anything more than barely NHL quality. Sabres fans have no reason to lie to us, now. He is what they say he is. He's an injury prone malcontent who struggles to play 15 minutes a game. I'm glad my team didn't make the mistake I would have by bringing him in a few years ago. And I trust that they aren't about to make that mistake today.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You act like 2 million dollars is nothing.

How many jerseys/tickets do you need to sell to bring in that much?

Yeah, but it's all part of operations. Same as making the playoffs. I guess if he sucks now it's not worth it, I thought he might be worth the chance.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
For context, here is why a lot of Sabres fans are sour on the guy:

His Sabre career
243 games played.
170 games missed.
13 goals, 54 assists.
10 fights.
Minus-49 rating.
Minus-464 Corsi.
Approximately $27.5 million in salary.

Nobody was surprised by this, aside from the GM who signed him. I’m pretty surprised at the lack of anger towards him (GM) in this thread.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
What a baby he is. He should realize by now he's not really NHL material with how bad he's been playing and he can't stay healthy.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uh, so... He has a 5mil cap hit so he makes a lot of money, right? Giving up all that money just so you don't need to play in AHL is weird.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Some people judging Zach harshly- look, his play sucked and he got hurt all the time, but I never got the impression he wasn’t trying his damndest. Dude seemingly worked hard and gave it his all.

then he got healthy scratched and wanted a trade because of it- I disagreed with him, but I understood. He thinks he can still play, god bless his delusion-inducing competitiveness, and just wants to be on a team where he can do so. I 100% blame Botts for letting that linger- dumb decision by Bogo but whatever, it’s Bott’s fault it wasn’t dealt with.

And now Bogo is leaving millions on the table so he might have a shot at a cup or at least more NHL hockey- once again, I think he’s kinda wrong about his abilities, but I just see that as passion for this league and game and I can’t hate it.

Reactions: Macbanan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Some people judging Zach harshly- look, his play sucked and he got hurt all the time, but I never got the impression he wasn’t trying his damndest. Dude seemingly worked hard and gave it his all.

then he got healthy scratched and wanted a trade because of it- I disagreed with him, but I understood. He thinks he can still play, god bless his delusion-inducing competitiveness, and just wants to be on a team where he can do so. I 100% blame Botts for letting that linger- dumb decision by Bogo but whatever, it’s Bott’s fault it wasn’t dealt with.

And now Bogo is leaving millions on the table so he might have a shot at a cup or at least more NHL hockey- once again, I think he’s kinda wrong about his abilities, but I just see that as passion for this league and game and I can’t hate it.
His nhl salary is $6 mill. Prorated up to when he was suspended would have him around the $4.4 mill earned for the season given we’re near the 3/4 mark of the season for buffalo. Left $1.6 mill or so on the table.

if he wants to put that aside that’s on him.

Over 2 full seasons of his Buffalo career lost due to injuries and playing for a bad team. Never played a playoff game in what is year 12 for him.

Obviously understands that even retained he’s not going to get moved. So likely this is his path to a playoff team as a depth defender.

we’ve seen many players get bought out and then get signed for less than the 50% retention cap hit. There’s a Price teams want a player for.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Lots of teams could use him at league min. Winnipeg, Dallas, and Vegas could both use some depth on D, and Bogosian could make Toronto's top 4. Mutual termination is best for both the team and for Bogo. Five million decreases in value a lot when you're set for life.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
so he doesn't want to ride the bus and play cards?
Playing in the A won’t do anything for his nhl prospects in the summer. He’d rather shut it down and latch on with a team for a low salary next season. Missed so many games as a Sabre. Don’t want to risk anything in the A.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Playing in the A won’t do anything for his nhl prospects in the summer. He’d rather shut it down and latch on with a team for a low salary next season. Missed so many games as a Sabre. Don’t want to risk anything in the A.

He should get a chance somewhere next season

But refusing to report to AHL team does not look good

teams don't like not having that option and for that player to "prove it in such case"

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Nah. This is all about him and the Sabres mutually terminating his contract and making him a UFA effective ASAP. Bogo gets ahead of the trade deadline and can catch on someplace for a minimum salary.

Sabres get more cap space to wheel and deal at the deadline and avoid rookie bonuses affecting us next year.

It's very much a win-win. Bogo's a waste of space at $5m+ a year but should catch on somewhere on a minimum deal.
There's really no safeguard against this? You could easily rig something up to help benefit your cap this way. I'm surprised that Buffalo wouldn't have to absorb his cap even though they terminate his contract.

Edit: Mind you, the guy passed through waivers. But still, that's only due to contract size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad