Confirmed with Link: Sabres Suspend Patrik Berglund for Failure to Report; Clears Waivers - Contract Terminated

mcdoughnut

Jan 22, 2017
New York
Does the organization have a Sports Psychologist on the staff btw ? If not it may be something they want to think about with the issues they seemed to have with several players now.

Sports psychologists don't necessarily treat mental health issues, they more-so work on mental aspects of the game. So even if they have one, that's not necessarily the best option for therapy, IMO.

That being said yes sports psychologists are great to have.

Reactions: ValJames

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does the organization have a Sports Psychologist on the staff btw ? If not it may be something they want to think about with the issues they seemed to have with several players now.

Considering who the GM's father is, I would be surprised if they didn't have one.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
This shouldn't reflect poorly on the Sabres, but something tells me there will be a vocal portion of the media calling Botteril out for being insensitive to a player dealing with mental health issues.

The GM who followed up on the rehab with the player quietly after he let him go and got specifically thanked for it by him?

Reactions: IlikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

These comments make a bit more sense now.

It also makes me think that maybe this is something Berglund has been dealing with for a while, and that he had a support system in place for himself among teammates in St. Louis and that he struggled when it was removed.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

These comments make a bit more sense now.

It also makes me think that maybe this is something Berglund has been dealing with for a while, and that he had a support system in place for himself among teammates in St. Louis and that he struggled when it was removed.

Reading between lines in Oshie's comments, it's pretty clear to me Berglund is battling an addiction problem. "I could have helped him if I was around" or "I'm glad he's taking control..." etc. sound exactly like the kind of things family/friends of addicts might say.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Reading between lines in Oshie's comments, it's pretty clear to me Berglund is battling an addiction problem. "I could have helped him if I was around" or "I'm glad he's taking control..." etc. sound exactly like the kind of things family/friends of addicts might say.
Could be.

Personally, I took it more as he has been battling problems with mental health issues (maybe some type of more serious depression? I don’t know.) for a while. How TJ was talking about how he’s an energetic, messing around/lighthearted type of guy and felt maybe he could have snapped berglund out of it.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Could be.

Personally, I took it more as he has been battling problems with mental health issues (maybe some type of more serious depression? I don’t know.) for a while. How TJ was talking about how he’s an energetic, messing around/lighthearted type of guy and felt maybe he could have snapped berglund out of it.
The last thing you need with major depression is the light hearted guy who wants to snap you out of it

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Or...depression.

Speculation is dumb.
Or...both?

Look, given the scarcity of real details, reasonable speculation is all we have at this point. I'm not trying to disparage Berglund -- I wish him the best -- but I am trying to understand the logic behind this strange and rather quick divorce. Addiction explains everything neatly and succinctly -- from Berglund's decision to just stop showing up for work, foregoing millions in guaranteed money and heading right to Sweden, to Buffalo immediately severing ties with the guy, which they wouldn't do if the player had a serious problem and needed time to sort stuff out(Lehner, Okposo).

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Or...both?

Look, given the scarcity of real details, reasonable speculation is all we have at this point. I'm not trying to disparage Berglund -- I wish him the best -- but I am trying to understand the logic behind this strange and rather quick divorce. Addiction explains everything neatly and succinctly -- from Berglund's decision to just stop showing up for work, foregoing millions in guaranteed money and heading right to Sweden, to Buffalo immediately severing ties with the guy, which they wouldn't do if the player had a serious problem and needed time to sort stuff out(Lehner, Okposo).

Mental health issues are hard for all those involved. Sometimes it's best for both parties to accept that and move on.

If you haven't yet, read Brandon Marshalls story:

The Stigma | By Brandon Marshall

Reactions: Buffaloed

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Or...both?

Alcohol and drugs is a bi-product of addiction and not the root cause. You are speculation on a man you have no clue about. These types of things are harmful to do.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The last thing you need with major depression is the light hearted guy who wants to snap you out of it

It’s not a cure, but it sure is useful in distracting you from thinking about it and weighing you down. Making one laugh, or having someone to talk to you is better than nothing.

I’ve had issues with depression in the past and my one escape was being at the rink. It’s where I was able to isolate myself and get in a whole different world.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't want his contract but IF he had depression, he should be on injury reserve. No?
It certainly is not unprecedented for athletes to be placed on an injured list for mental health issues, including depression and anxiety. Zack Greinke back during his time with the Royals is a rather prominent, and early, example. That said, I do not think it is particularly helpful or useful to speculate about someone's mental health because they made a decision which does not seem rational to you. Whether an action is rational or irrational is entirely dependent on the assumptions one makes going in.

Reactions: wnysupport

Member 308457

Berglund's situation reminds me of that of Slava Kozlov. Berglund, like Kozlov, was a long-standing respected member of his team before being unexpectedly traded to the Sabres. In both situations, star players were sent away from Buffalo because of a crisis with the team. Berglund, like Kozlov, never wanted to be in Buffalo. The Blues tricked him in order to get O'Reilly. Both situations ended very poorly for the Sabres and both players were gone in short order.

Management has never been Buffalo's strong point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Berglund's situation reminds me of that of Slava Kozlov. Berglund, like Kozlov, was a long-standing respected member of his team before being unexpectedly traded to the Sabres. In both situations, star players were sent away from Buffalo because of a crisis with the team. Berglund, like Kozlov, never wanted to be in Buffalo. The Blues tricked him in order to get O'Reilly. Both situations ended very poorly for the Sabres and both players were gone in short order.

Management has never been Buffalo's strong point.

Slava was shitting on the city and the team before he even set foot on the ice. He was an entitled asshole, just ask people who met him in his short stay in town.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I think the players union would fight for Patrick if they thought he had a situation such as a mental illness.
Not sure that's what is going on with him. I believe he doesn't trust the NHL anymore and wants nothing to do with playing in this league.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Could be.

Maybe just didn't like playing hockey on a pro level anymore? It takes a lot to do that mentally and physically. Hard to upkeep it too.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad