Confirmed with Link: Sabres Suspend Patrik Berglund for Failure to Report; Clears Waivers - Contract Terminated

Member 308457

Slava was ****ting on the city and the team before he even set foot on the ice. He was an entitled *******, just ask people who met him in his short stay in town.

Down boy.

Kozlov and Berglund are two different type attitudes and personalities. But they both went through a similar situation was all I was saying...they were both respected players unceremoniously dumped by their long-time team in favor of a star the Sabres were forced to sent the other way. The Sabres were a team in crisis both times.

Both players didn't react well to this kind of crisis, but reacted differently. Kozlov had 21 pts in 38 games then got injured. He was a malcontent in Buffalo and got traded after one year but it's funny how he went to the Thrashers, a far inferior team, and lasted there for seven years, (maybe because of the big Russian community over there?)

Berglund just flat out quit with $12 million on the table without any noise. It's strange that Housley said ‘”Personally, Patrik is a terrific guy. He meant well. He was a team player. Great teammate and just an unfortunate incident occurred..." Unless Housely doesn't know what incident means, I wonder what the incident was...a visit from the black widow?

Since losing the Cup in '99 the Sabres have been mostly a team in severe crisis. They've had three owners play hot potato with this franchise since then, along with management shenanigans never before experienced by this team, including Briere-Drury, the two tanks, etc. The crisis mode has only stepped up during the Pegula Era with the incompetent leadership at the very top.

Last edited by a moderator:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Down boy.

Kozlov and Berglund are two different type attitudes and personalities. But they both went through a similar situation was all I was saying...they were both respected players unceremoniously dumped by their long-time team in favor of a star the Sabres were forced to sent the other way. The Sabres were a team in crisis both times.

Both players didn't react well to this kind of crisis, but reacted differently. Kozlov had 21 pts in 38 games then got injured. He was a malcontent in Buffalo and got traded after one year but it's funny how he went to the Thrashers, a far inferior team, and lasted there for seven years, (maybe because of the big Russian community over there?)

Berglund just flat out quit with $12 million on the table without any noise. It's strange that Housley said ‘”Personally, Patrik is a terrific guy. He meant well. He was a team player. Great teammate and just an unfortunate incident occurred..." Unless Housely doesn't know what incident means, I wonder what the incident was...a visit from the black widow?

Since losing the Cup in '99 the Sabres have been mostly a team in severe crisis. They've had three owners play hot potato with this franchise since then, along with management shenanigans never before experienced by this team, including Briere-Drury, the two tanks, etc. The crisis mode has only stepped up during the Pegula Era with the incompetent leadership at the very top.
You are grasping at straws. These two incidents are unrelated. Patrik Berglund is totally free to sign with any other NHL franchise, including quite a few that a far bit more exciting than Atlanta was, and he's not. He could sign in Sweden and he's not. He could appeal the termination, and so far he's not. He clearly has some mental issues going on that have f*** all to do with the franchise or the city of Buffalo so please stop perpetuating a nothing idea.

O'Reilly either requested a trade, or the Pegulas just ran him out because they didn't like his self loathing nonsense. And whether I agree with that or not, I'm not going to just make shit up.

Every indication from the Athletic article is that the Sabres went out of their way to take care of Robin Lehner, but in the end, both sides felt that he couldn't get better without making a geographic change. Not leaving Buffalo because Buffalo, but just to start fresh in a new place. And having quite a bit of experience, not personally, but friends and family, with substance abuse, this is a very common approach.

And Slave Kozlov was a whiny piece of shit. f*** that dude. He didn't like it here and that was personal and isolated. He was also traded for arguably the greatest player in franchise history, and the town was never going to like him enough.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You are grasping at straws. These two incidents are unrelated. Patrik Berglund is totally free to sign with any other NHL franchise, including quite a few that a far bit more exciting than Atlanta was, and he's not. He could sign in Sweden and he's not. He could appeal the termination, and so far he's not. He clearly has some mental issues going on that have **** all to do with the franchise or the city of Buffalo so please stop perpetuating a nothing idea.

O'Reilly either requested a trade, or the Pegulas just ran him out because they didn't like his self loathing nonsense. And whether I agree with that or not, I'm not going to just make **** up.

Every indication from the Athletic article is that the Sabres went out of their way to take care of Robin Lehner, but in the end, both sides felt that he couldn't get better without making a geographic change. Not leaving Buffalo because Buffalo, but just to start fresh in a new place. And having quite a bit of experience, not personally, but friends and family, with substance abuse, this is a very common approach.

And Slave Kozlov was a whiny piece of ****. **** that dude. He didn't like it here and that was personal and isolated. He was also traded for arguably the greatest player in franchise history, and the town was never going to like him enough.

Did you read his response? He never made mention of them being related, only being similar but with different outcomes from the players. Both guys were brought in during a "transitioning" period, Kozlov coming when we were transitioning from Hasek to "where do we go from here", and Berglund, from ROR to "this is a growing period for our young guys". One guy never was fully in as being Buffalo Sabre so he was traded, and the other quit hockey because of personal issues.

I don't see anything wrong with what Smile Ivan that was wrong. I think people are just putting too much emotion in it.

Reactions: DJN21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have no issue with the surface comparison, but Kozlov was an entitled brat before he ever set foot on the ice. That they used him to get the pieces to acquire Hecht is one of the best moves Regier ever made, given the sort of malcontent he had on his hands.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I have no issue with the surface comparison, but Kozlov was an entitled brat before he ever set foot on the ice. That they used him to get the pieces to acquire Hecht is one of the best moves Regier ever made, given the sort of malcontent he had on his hands.
Today people are quick to call a player generational or a cancer when likely just a few are.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Good for Berglund. I think he's a stand up guy. I'll so no more. I take no offense at what he did and Buffalo's cap space certaintly doesn't either.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Kozlov was a jerk period. I do not think any Sabre fan was upset to see him on all 4s at that game against Columbus that ended his career here.

At least he was used as ammo to eventually acquire Jochen Hecht who made an impact here for damn near a decade.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Hes training with old friends in Västerås, saying he will not do any kind of comeback (according to swedish newspaper Aftonbladet)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Segment 3 - Patrik Berglund 5/31/19

Interview with Berglund about his decision to walk away.

Some highlights:

-Wasn't happy about how he was being used in Buffalo.
-110% feels it was the right decision. "Didn't feel right" being in Buffalo.
-Re: The trade. Feels like he had bad representation (didn't get NTC list to Blues) and that he knew he had to get his list in.
-Wants to be in a good situation and "play for the guy next to him" and "play for a purpose" rather than play for a paycheck.

Overall, seems like he is still kind pissed off he was traded. Talks a lot of positive things about St Louis. He doesn't really bash Buffalo at all, just talks about how much he loved playing in St Louis mostly.

Sounds like he wants to return to hockey.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Today people are quick to call a player generational or a cancer when likely just a few are.

Didn't see this at the time: Kozlov was shitting on Buffalo in conversations with people in Buffalo prior to ever lacing up a pair of skates. He didn't like being traded, but he sure as hell acted like a twat when he got to town. I haven't heard a whiff of Berglund dumping on the town prior to camp like many did with Kozlov. I'm not calling him "cancer". He actually showed up to play and when he didn't have a sliced achilles, there was a stretch he and Max looked dynamite on the ice. His off-ice stuff though was enough to make me dance a jig the day he was traded.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

Some highlights:

-Re: The trade. Feels like he had bad representation (didn't get NTC list to Blues) and that he knew he had to get his list in.
-Wants to be in a good situation and "play for the guy next to him" and "play for a purpose" rather than play for a paycheck.

Overall, seems like he is still kind pissed off he was traded. Talks a lot of positive things about St Louis. He doesn't really bash Buffalo at all, just talks about how much he loved playing in St Louis mostly.

Thanks for the summary, I haven’t been able to listen yet.

It really sounds like everything that was speculated was true.

Part of me thinks it was a douche move to trade Berglund without getting his NTL but based on the technicality of it, I’m sure the Blues were enthralled to get out of under that contract.

On top of that he got traded to a team that put him in an absolutely brutal role.

I still respect Berglund as a person for saying that he was done. So many guys will go through the motions and collect the money.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Berglund needs closure. He needs to conquer his demons in Buffalo. The Sabres ought to talk to him about coming back, at a deep discount of course. I think he'd mesh with Krueger.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Some highlights:

Well, now I’m mad at his representation. No doubt Buffalo would’ve been on his list.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->