Confirmed with Link: Sabres Suspend Patrik Berglund for Failure to Report; Clears Waivers - Contract Terminated

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Thanks! As a side note: I read somewhere that players pay tax where they play away games. If that’s correct and the difference in state tax isn’t bigger I don’t really get the complaints that the cap should be adjusted according to state tax - especially since most players own pretty expensive property and I’m sure there are a lot of other variables when it comes to taxes.

One more OT question: if you own property in a state where you don’t live, do you pay the property tax in that state?

Yes, pro athletes have accountants who keep track of income and expenses in various states for purposes of filing correct taxes. It applies to ordinary non-athletes too. People who live in Connecticut (a state with no state income tax) but work in New York City, pay New York State income tax, and New York City income tax.

Yes, Americans who own property whether singularly, jointly, or as part of a trust or other arrangement, pays property tax on every parcel. If I have multiple houses or vacant land acreages in multiple states, I would get a tax bill from each of the municipalities in those states. it's the same way with income tax. If I'm a Philadelphia Flyer employee, but live across the river in New Jersey, I would pay income tax on the home Flyer games to the State (actually Pennsylvania is a Commonwealth) of Pennsylvania, but my property tax (for schools, road, fire department, civil services, etc.,) would be paid to the town/village/city/borough I lived in New Jersey.

As a sidebar, it is not clear to me how Native American ("Indian") reservations work, and I'm sure the laws are not universal for that. My understanding is that private property (land, house, business) ownership by native Americans on reservation lands is not universal throughout the United States. In some cases private ownership is possible, in other cases it's not. There are pros and cons to that from both sides, depending on your view. The laws governing native American lands and reservations are complex, and most of it dates back to the 1900s, 1800s, 1700s.

Part of the complexity stems from the US government separation of powers. There is a Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is a branch of the US department of the interior, which is part of the executive branch. However, the presidential authority to make treaties with Indian nations and tribes must be ratified by two-thirds of the Senate within the legislative branch, and since there are literally hundreds of such treaties enacted over the years, they are not necessarily uniform across all states / tribes / parts of the USA.

Reactions: HaNotsri and jBuds

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yes, pro athletes have accountants who keep track of income and expenses in various states for purposes of filing correct taxes. It applies to ordinary non-athletes too. People who live in Connecticut (a state with no state income tax) but work in New York City, pay New York State income tax, and New York City income tax.

Yes, Americans who own property whether singularly, jointly, or as part of a trust or other arrangement, pays property tax on every parcel. If I have multiple houses or vacant land acreages in multiple states, I would get a tax bill from each of the municipalities in those states. it's the same way with income tax. If I'm a Philadelphia Flyer employee, but live across the river in New Jersey, I would pay income tax on the home Flyer games to the State (actually Pennsylvania is a Commonwealth) of Pennsylvania, but my property tax (for schools, road, fire department, civil services, etc.,) would be paid to the town/village/city/borough I lived in New Jersey.

As a sidebar, it is not clear to me how Native American ("Indian") reservations work, and I'm sure the laws are not universal for that. My understanding is that private property (land, house, business) ownership by native Americans on reservation lands is not universal throughout the United States. In some cases private ownership is possible, in other cases it's not. There are pros and cons to that from both sides, depending on your view. The laws governing native American lands and reservations are complex, and most of it dates back to the 1900s, 1800s, 1700s.

Part of the complexity stems from the US government separation of powers. There is a Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is a branch of the US department of the interior, which is part of the executive branch. However, the presidential authority to make treaties with Indian nations and tribes must be ratified by two-thirds of the Senate within the legislative branch, and since there are literally hundreds of such treaties enacted over the years, they are not necessarily uniform across all states / tribes / parts of the USA.

Look at the big brain on this one.

:laugh:

Thanks!

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Every time I see this thread bumped I think it's the inevitable grievance filed by the players association. Don't they have 60 days to file one from when his contract was terminated.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks! As a side note: I read somewhere that players pay tax where they play away games. If that’s correct and the difference in state tax isn’t bigger I don’t really get the complaints that the cap should be adjusted according to state tax - especially since most players own pretty expensive property and I’m sure there are a lot of other variables when it comes to taxes.

One more OT question: if you own property in a state where you don’t live, do you pay the property tax in that state?

When it comes to pro athletes it gets crazy complicated. Some states/municipalities etc impose special taxes just for them. Tennessee doesn’t even have an income tax, but used to tax pro athletes something like 2500$/game just for playing in the state, which was more than some players income for their Nashville games lol. Some states have reciprocacy laws (you only pay one of the taxes, not just the highest one), but mostly only neighboring states with each other. These things somewhat negates the home difference, but ultimately they typically reside in the state where they play and end up having large parts of their income that’s home dependent. Not to forget their other sources of income. Property tax is always paid in full though, and only in some situations is it deductible from an income tax. In some places property tax is the lion’s share, and in others it’s less than the utilities. All over the place really.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Look at the big brain on this one.

:laugh:

Thanks!
"I'm not a big brain... but I play one on these boards." My wife continues to remind me I'm not that smart. One of the greatest blessings of my marriage.

I was noting for Ha Nostri some of the complexities of Native American situations because in his country there is likely not an analogous comparison.

This is OT to the Berglund thread, so I'll stop now.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Back in his hometown Västerås. GM of the team in Västerås says that the chances that Berglund will play for them are microscopic.
The article is locked for those who aren’t subscribers but I bet it doesn’t clarify anything Sabres related.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Berglund speaks about what went down. Says he wasn't feeling well but tried to be professional and keep a happy face, until he just couldn't anymore. Says Sabres were right to suspend him, that he is sorry for letting the organisation, team and fans down, that he has absolutely no hard feelings towards Buffalo. He says the trade from St Louis started it all, that he felt very stressed about it having only played for two teams ever; Västerås and St Louis, and again stresses that this has nothing to do with Buffalo but about himself and his well-being.

Very condenced, but that's basically the essence of the article. I wish him all the best.

Patrik Berglund bryter tystnaden efter NHL-uppbrottet – därför nobbade han 110 miljoner: "Jag mådde skit"

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Berglund speaks about what went down. Says he wasn't feeling well but tried to be professional and keep a happy face, until he just couldn't anymore. Says Sabres were right to suspend him, that he is sorry for letting the organisation, team and fans down, that he has absolutely no hard feelings towards Buffalo. He says the trade from St Louis started it all, that he felt very stressed about it having only played for two teams ever; Västerås and St Louis, and again stresses that this has nothing to do with Buffalo but about himself and his well-being.

Very condenced, but that's basically the essence of the article. I wish him all the best.

Patrik Berglund bryter tystnaden efter NHL-uppbrottet – därför nobbade han 110 miljoner: "Jag mådde skit"

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the change of scenery was more than he could handle. :(

Reactions: Wisent42

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
– Jag vill säga att jag är väldigt ledsen över att jag lämnade och svek Buffalo som lag. Spelarna där var helt underbara och jag unnar varenda spelare och organisationen all lycka i framtiden. De har definitivt inte gjort något fel mot mig.

My translation:

- I want to say that I'm very sorry for leaving and letting down Buffalo as a team. The players were just wonderful and I wish every single player and the organisation all future happiness. They have definitely done me no wrong.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Wow. I honestly did NOT see that one coming. Glad to hear he is okay and that he did what he felt was the best for him mentally. Also glad that he validated the moves Sabres Management made.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm actually in shock that it might actually be as cut and dry as "I don't want to play anymore" and he walked away.
Between his comments today and Oshei’s comments of concern and being there for him. It sure looks like there is a deeper issue at play than simply not wanting to play hockey.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That's big of him to admit it and absolve the team. Sounds like there won't be an appeal. I wish him well and hope he finds happiness.
It's a petty concern when you're talking in the larger scope of a person's physical/mental health, but i was worried about the optics on the whole situation from an organizational stand point. To have him come out and acknowledge that he was sorry and that the Sabres did nothing wrong by him is pretty huge in terms of clearing our name.

Again, thats all secondary at this point. it sounds like he has some areas of his life that he needs to focus on and address and i wish him all the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad