Confirmed with Link: Sabres Suspend Patrik Berglund for Failure to Report; Clears Waivers - Contract Terminated

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Very classy.

And this goes beyond being happy about getting out of his cap hit. He apologized to the team, and the city. I wish him the best. It worked out for all involved. And it paints the Blues as the bad guy in any future issue thar could come up.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Did the team a favor exiting the way he did. Much respect. I hope he finds happiness.

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
It’s hard for us to imagine as fans, and kids growing up loving the game so much as adults we post on message boards, but there is a real chance he just didn’t like hockey anymore, and didn’t want to be in The States.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Honestly, give me Kakko over Hughes. We're developing a Euro Vibe here.

i

Reactions: sjci and Fearnot

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
This shouldn't reflect poorly on the Sabres, but something tells me there will be a vocal portion of the media calling Botteril out for being insensitive to a player dealing with mental health issues.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This shouldn't reflect poorly on the Sabres, but something tells me there will be a vocal portion of the media calling Botteril out for being insensitive to a player dealing with mental health issues.

If Berglund just wanted to walk away, the way that the Sabres handled it was as sensitive as possible.

They tried to keep it as quiet as possible.

Reactions: sabremike

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
The blues waited quietly until the day his no trade expired and shipped him out quickly before he had a chance to submit his new list.
What a slap in the face.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I can see the term Berglund Syndrome making it into the vernacular. Maybe Dr Phil will do a show on it. It's like the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome with a twist.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It could be true mental health issues, or it could be the face value of the statements.

Analogy: I've worked nearly 30 years for the same company in the same location. My finances do not permit me to retire. Although, if my finances did permit me to retire, and I was released from my company and then took an ostensibly similar job with another company in another city, I'm not sure I would continue to work.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Glad he took some time to defuse the situation and came back to explain himself. Obviously the team benefits financially from this, but I’m seriously happy he’s OK. He’s made a fairly substantial amount of money playing professional hockey, and while many of us scoff at the idea of turning down about $12m over 4 years you have to remember he’s half way across the world from his home.

Good for him. It takes a strong person to do what he did. Could he have done it in a better way? Absolutely. Doing what he did also benefits Buffalo in a way because they rid themselves of a player who didn’t love the game anymore (pretty ironic).

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
Does the organization have a Sports Psychologist on the staff btw ? If not it may be something they want to think about with the issues they seemed to have with several players now.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Does the organization have a Sports Psychologist on the staff btw ? If not it may be something they want to think about with the issues they seemed to have with several players now.
Buffalo Sports teams and winter seasons require only the complete hardiest of souls. If you weren't born and raised here, it can be a difficult process to find the niche for you in WNY.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00