Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Sam Reinhart to a 1 Year Deal AAV $5.2M

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think Jack Quinn is going to make Rino expendable. It would be nice to keep him, but it depends on the money situation.

I saw Reinhart's future the second we signed Hall to be honest.

Well maybe the moment after watching the presser. He wants to play in Buffalo & pending a disaster they're going to make a big effort to keep him long term.

Unless Sam is willing to sign long term for well below market value they are not going to fit both he, Hall & Dahlin.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In that case, it would probably be Reinhart for a pick with an agreement that Seattle takes Okposo in the Expansion Draft.

That would be a creative way to get rid of Okposo.

That's something I hadn't considered............but boy does that seem intriguing (if and only if Hall wants to re-sign).

A long-term top 6 of Eichel/Hall/Skinner/Cozens/Olofsson/Quinn sure does sound nice.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's something I hadn't considered............but boy does that seem intriguing (if and only if Hall wants to re-sign).

A long-term top 6 of Eichel/Hall/Skinner/Cozens/Olofsson/Quinn sure does sound nice.

Even if Hall doesn't come back, that scenario has $19M in cap space opening up with those three players leaving. That could make for another interesting off season.

Reactions: FrenchConnection

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Kingston, for those claiming a Toronto thing, is closer to Ottawa. I'm only trying to be clear about him not being from Toronto, or his family home being there. The GTA is large, yes. But the "Toronto" thing is being way misconstrued. Say what you mean, not what you hope people believe.
dDqobPsl.png

If he's living there and training there now, then say that. Misinformation is being bandied about and it doesn't need to be.

This isn't directed at anyone specific person or persons. Just a lot of posters just parrot whatever they read on here as being truth and it spreads. I've seen him being, "from Toronto" at least a half dozen times on this board since he's been signed. And I don't even visit every day.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Kingston, for those claiming a Toronto thing, is closer to Ottawa. I'm only trying to be clear about him not being from Toronto, or his family home being there. The GTA is large, yes. But the "Toronto" thing is being way misconstrued. Say what you mean, not what you hope people believe.
dDqobPsl.png

If he's living there and training there now, then say that. Misinformation is being bandied about and it doesn't need to be.

This isn't directed at anyone specific person or persons. Just a lot of posters just parrot whatever they read on here as being truth and it spreads. I've seen him being, "from Toronto" at least a half dozen times on this board since he's been signed. And I don't even visit every day.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Buffaloed, I don't know where you're reading my postings wrong. I'm merely saying he isn't FROM or GREW UP in Toronto. "He lives in Toronto" isn't the same as "He's from Toronto." That is the clarification I'm making. People like to make "hometown boy!" posts and especially so with people "from Toronto." I'm not sure why you posted that instagram post. It actually agrees with what I said.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Buffaloed, I don't know where you're reading my postings wrong. I'm merely saying he isn't FROM or GREW UP in Toronto. "He lives in Toronto" isn't the same as "He's from Toronto." That is the clarification I'm making. People like to make "hometown boy!" posts and especially so with people "from Toronto." I'm not sure why you posted that instagram post. It actually agrees with what I said.
He's from Calgary if you want to get technical. lol

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Is it even a question even at their ages who you would sign long term? The guy with a 90 point hart trophy winning season or Sam?

From 2017 to 2019 Hall had 130 points in 109 games. Sams best two FULL seasons combined are still 15 points short of what Hall did in exactly 1 and 1/3 season worth of games.

I don't think Sam took a huge discount either. I think this is totally fair market value. Sam is an RFA. Sam still has just 1 season where he hit the 51 point plateau. Does a 65 and 2 50 point seasons as an RFA mean he should be getting 7? Hell no.

Sam is a complimentary piece on a cup contender. Not a primary one. Sam is supposed to be your 4th, preferably 5th besr forward and now he actually is where he is best suited to be. Off the top line as a secondary threat. If Sam is willing to accept something like 5.4 x 4? If so we could fit it in. But if we want Hall long term Sam cannot be making more then 5.5 and this is assuming Okposo is definitely gone also.

I personally like Sam as a player, but he obviously has never came close to living up to expectations. I know the 2014 draft didn't have a clear cut top forward guaranteed for success (though a few are already there) but I guarantee no one if you told them Sams numbers what they would be 6 years later would have been happy on draft day 2014. It is unfortunate we wasted all of the cheap/affordable seasons of Jack,Sam and Rasmus without even a single playoff game to show for it. We cannot do it to Cozens and Quinn.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's from Calgary if you want to get technical. lol

Like a lot of people, he's lived in a variety of places throughout his life.

His family moved from Calgary to Kingston when Taylor was 14yo.

Personally, I don't put a ton of stock into location for the vast majority of pro athletes. Salary and team fit (competitiveness, coach, teammates, etc.) are way more important 99% of the time.

FrenchConnection

Aug 28, 2020
Good 1 year signing....He is a good player but to be honest if we could ship Sam out for a guy with Size,Grit and can still skate...and get close points wise and WIN PUCK BATTLES id do it...and im not saying Sam doesnt go after the puck in the corners or is scared..I am saying when he goes in there challenged(aka he doesnt go in first and unchallenged/alone) he very seldom is the guy that WINS that battle. I want the guy that wins that battle..Sams the expendable piece to get that part IMO.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Is it even a question even at their ages who you would sign long term? The guy with a 90 point hart trophy winning season or Sam?

From 2017 to 2019 Hall had 130 points in 109 games. Sams best two FULL seasons combined are still 15 points short of what Hall did in exactly 1 and 1/3 season worth of games.

I don't think Sam took a huge discount either. I think this is totally fair market value. Sam is an RFA. Sam still has just 1 season where he hit the 51 point plateau. Does a 65 and 2 50 point seasons as an RFA mean he should be getting 7? Hell no.

Sam is a complimentary piece on a cup contender. Not a primary one. Sam is supposed to be your 4th, preferably 5th besr forward and now he actually is where he is best suited to be. Off the top line as a secondary threat. If Sam is willing to accept something like 5.4 x 4? If so we could fit it in. But if we want Hall long term Sam cannot be making more then 5.5 and this is assuming Okposo is definitely gone also.

I personally like Sam as a player, but he obviously has never came close to living up to expectations. I know the 2014 draft didn't have a clear cut top forward guaranteed for success (though a few are already there) but I guarantee no one if you told them Sams numbers what they would be 6 years later would have been happy on draft day 2014. It is unfortunate we wasted all of the cheap/affordable seasons of Jack,Sam and Rasmus without even a single playoff game to show for it. We cannot do it to Cozens and Quinn.

There is a long time between now and when Hall if an UFA. Hall missed almost 50 games in 2018-19.

Arguing about the hypotheticals that we MIGHT need to choose between Reinhart and Hall next year is silly at this point. The team could bomb (again) and hall be moved out by the trade deadline. Reinhart might get traded before the season starts. They both could be gone by next summer.

You are saying:

IF the team does well enough to keep Hall past the deadline AND He wants to stay in Buffalo in long term AND Reinhart wants to stay long term AND we are up against a cap crunch THEN you'd choose Hall over Reinhart. Ok, noted. There are a ton of moving parts that could change between now and then.

Like a lot of people, he's lived in a variety of places throughout his life.

His family moved from Calgary to Kingston when Taylor was 14yo.

Personally, I don't put a ton of stock into location for the vast majority of pro athletes. Salary and team fit (competitiveness, coach, teammates, etc.) are way more important 99% of the time.

I've noted that typically, unmarried/younger guys tend to look at bigger cities/nightlife. Married guys tend to look at either low taxes (Texas/Florida and now Nevada) or family considerations (whether it's geographic closeness to family or just a smaller city that is easier to raise a family).

Money is always an issue as well

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Yeah its pretty easy 2 franchise players over sam pretty easy

Hopefully we sign hall to a 6 year deal beacuse him and Jack are going to go crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad