Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Sam Reinhart to a 1 Year Deal AAV $5.2M

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
As has been mentioned - a one year deal ensures he remains RFA. Plus it ties in perfectly with Hall.

So there will be opportunity to sign him long term if Hall leaves next summer - or trade him at maximum value if Hall does resign

Hopefully they get VO done on a 2 year deal @ ~3.5m/per & I'll give Adams an A.

This is the most dysfunctional organization in the NHL, so I'll take Option C: They have a crappy year because they didn't address goaltending. They trade Hall for a B-prospect and a conditional 1st at the deadline. Eichel demands out after yet another season outside the playoffs. They trade Sam and Jack for a haul of young roster players, prospects and picks. And then the organization sells the fanbase on on Rebuild 7.0 around Dahlin, Cozens, and some of what they get from trading Jack.

I'm not jaded or anything.

Reactions: Thorton02

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Does this 1 year deal also mean the sabres do not need to protect Sam? Or is it different because he’s an RFA? If so, this plus hall not having to be protected is pretty nice.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Does this 1 year deal also mean the sabres do not need to protect Sam? Or is it different because he’s an RFA? If so, this plus hall not having to be protected is pretty nice.
They are not obligated to protect him. But why would they want to expose him?

Yikes

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Probably overthinking it, but I wonder if hall and reinhart expiring together puts more pressure on them to be "team oriented" in their negotiations.

Players know that if they take more money its harder for the team to get other players, but its never more clear than when you have to sign multiple guys in the same year.

I think it would be a sly move to basically put the ball in their court and make them choose if they want full market value or if they want to keep the band together if they like it here.

Reactions: Sabres1523

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So when Sam performs and produces well, as has been the case in his 2nd years for every coach he’s had in the league, we get to argue about how he’s not a $8 million dollar player and is a product of playing with Eichel next offseason, instead of having him locked up to a team friendly deal at an aav of $6.5 million per year for multiple years.

Put hey, let’s kick every problem we have this offseason down the road a season.

Can’t wait to talk about our need for 2C, or a change in goaltending, a change in our top 4, and argue whether we should choose to overpay guys or finally lock Sam down for long term.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
He probably would’ve gotten a longer contract if not for the flat cap and pandemic stuff. This seems reasonable for this year imo.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So when Sam performs and produces well, as has been the case in his 2nd years for every coach he’s had in the league, we get to argue about how he’s not a $8 million dollar player and is a product of playing with Eichel next offseason, instead of having him locked up to a team friendly deal at an aav of $6.5 million per year for multiple years.

Put hey, let’s kick every problem we have this offseason down the road a season.

Can’t wait to talk about our need for 2C, or a change in goaltending, a change in our top 4, and argue whether we should choose to overpay guys or finally lock Sam down for long term.
Why would Sam commit long term to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Or conversely, why would the Sabres commit long term to a complementary player that hasn't shown the ability to drive play, knowing that buying UFA years will drive up the AAV with low expectations of it being a value contract?

Ask them why they committed to Skinner

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Or conversely, why would the Sabres commit long term to a complementary player that hasn't shown the ability to drive play, knowing that buying UFA years will drive up the AAV with low expectations of it being a value contract?
Yes, committing long term to first liners is bad, naturally.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Why would Sam commit long term to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years?
I think the league-wide financial situation is a bigger reason why Reinhart would want a one-year deal now than the team having a playoff drought.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
In that case, it would probably be Reinhart for a pick with an agreement that Seattle takes Okposo in the Expansion Draft.

That would be a creative way to get rid of Okposo.

I hadn't really considered this - but it could be a very smart way of moving Okposo.

It would free up space to sign Hall/Dahlin etc & still have some room left to make more minor moves.

It also means we don't lose first round picks - this hopefully ensuring a steady supply of contributors on ELC.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I hadn't really considered this - but it could be a very smart way of moving Okposo.

It would free up space to sign Hall/Dahlin etc & still have some room left to make more minor moves.

It also means we don't lose first round picks - this hopefully ensuring a steady supply of contributors on ELC.
I think Jack Quinn is going to make Rino expendable. It would be nice to keep him, but it depends on the money situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad