Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Marcus Johansson 2yrs 9mil (4.5 AAV)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I have to think there are more loves coming. We have 9 NHL dmen who are waiver eligible as well as Pilut in the mix.

We also have 11 forwards under contract with pending RFAs to sign in Larsson/Erod as well as Olofsson, CJ Smith, Tage and Nylander looking to grab spots.

Regardless of how good we think any of these guys are we have more bodies than spots available.

Not a bad idea to load up first and then move out the extra pieces, unless it makes other teams realize we have to move people.

It's funny how impatient we all get (including myself) about Botts not making moves, and then he goes and makes moves.

Since the beginning of the new league year, we've added a top 4 D, two top nine forwards (who can play in the top 6), a 3rd goalie, and some good pieces for Rochester. Plus got some signings done.

Interesting to see what drops next. Patience is a virtue but not for Sabre fans.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have to think there are more loves coming. We have 9 NHL dmen who are waiver eligible as well as Pilut in the mix.

We also have 11 forwards under contract with pending RFAs to sign in Larsson/Erod as well as Olofsson, CJ Smith, Tage and Nylander looking to grab spots.

Regardless of how good we think any of these guys are we have more bodies than spots available.

put me in the category of people who want to have the roster built before needing to move off from others.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
He was among my top targets this summer in UFA. Very happy with this signing. Completely fair deal.

I see him playing right wing. We have more of a need there. He’s versatile and has played all three forward positions in his career but has been on the right wing recently. Ideally not a guy you want on your second line all season but a guy who is a definite top-nine forward and can play on the second line or even first for a little bit and not look out of place. I don’t see him playing center here but I could be wrong. He’s been a winger for at least a few years now. Good with zone entries and he’ll definitely get PP time. Very excited about him if he can stay healthy. He and Vesey aren’t flashy names but are both solid additions that should provide secondary scoring that wasn’t there the last couple years and push players further down the lineup into more appropriate roles.

I know everyone still wants a legit No. 2 center but Mittelstadt is probably the guy going forward in that spot. He’s only going into Year 2 and he was drafted to be a top-six player. Drafting Cozens further indicates the Sabres may not be adding that type of player and hope they already have the answer to that problem in the organization already. The best bet is to surround Mittelstadt with more talent and also bolster the depth scoring and this signing could end up doing both.

Third-line center is more likely to be addressed and is also a big need. I’m fine with playing Mittelstadt in the top six with good players around him and trying to acquire a player like Pageau from Ottawa.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Regardless, this is the second decent depth scoring we’ve added without giving up much of overpaying. That’s good, even if other big issues remain.

Reactions: Rasmi

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Noice! Great signing. AAV and term are both very reasonable, and Johansson is a very versatile player. Should be a big help to our middle 6.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The four RFAs (Larsson, Rodrigues, McCabe, Ullmark) won't cost over 6 mil total, even if Botterill does end up keeping them.

You still need a cushion for injuries and to give them flexibility down the road.

You can't hate the deal. Hopefully he is healthier this season than he has been lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad