Player Discussion Sabres sign G Carter Hutton to a 3 Year Deal with $2.75M AAV

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Nice numbers, nice signing.

The usual moaners will make themselves heard but if JB avoids the big money deals & makes adds like Hutton & Wilson he is doing his job well. He just needs to stay strong over ROR & he'll get a pass from me.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Blues fan coming in peace.

Carter is a great guy and a good goalie. I wish we still had him. He’s a guy who comes prepared, supports his team, and doesn’t go mental. We are stuck with Allen who...goes mental now and them.
I’ll add one negative. Take a look at his splits pre vs post All-Star break.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Very good signing for that money. $2.75m is a good deal for a competent starter. Between this and not rushing to trade ROR I am slowly starting to trust Botts.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
7-3: Newest Sabres' Goalie Carter Hutton with Jeremy White on WGR (8:49)

Newest #Sabres goalie Carter Hutton (@CarterHutton) joins Jeremy White right now on WGR! Tune in:

Hutton - Buffalo was the right fit all around, it made sense. Me knowing Jerry Forton, Andrew Allen, and Phil Housley, it was a comfort factor for me. Just to be part of the turn around is something I take pride in. Looking forward to it. #Sabres

Hutton - we haven't talked a ton of numbers, but I think the main goal is for me to come in and win hockey games while not rushing Linus Ullmark. You don't want things to get rushed for him. I'm committed to the team and here to help everyone get better. #Sabres

Hutton - I try not to get caught up in the numbers and what's going on stats wise. As I've gotten more mature and come into the NHL, you just go out and focus on winning hockey games. If we're winning and playing well, the rest will take care of itself. #Sabres

Hutton - The #Sabres thought that with the younger group that's on the team, I'd bring some good veteran leadership. Guys know who I am and what I am about, and the younger guys will be able to lean on me. #Sabres

Hutton - I think the guys coming to Buffalo in the O'Reilly trade will be excited knowing that I am coming along with them as well. #Sabres

Reactions: joshjull

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Buffalo Sabres goalie, Carter Hutton, was on the Power Play with Scott Laughlin and Steve Kouleas to talk about his decision to sign with the Sabres and how excited he is for the future in Buffalo.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
The Great Goalie Debate: Ranking the NHL's 31 starting netminders in 2018-19

A midsummer ranking of the NHL’s 31 starting goalies entering the 2018-19 season.

Who’s the best starting goalie in the NHL? Who’s the worst? Does it hurt when they do the splits? These are some of the random thoughts that bounce around in a hockey lover’s head in the middle of August.

Here’s my ranking of the NHL’s 31 starting goalies entering the 2018-19 season:

29. Carter Hutton, Buffalo Sabres: A 32-year-old backup coming off an out-of-the-blue career year gets handed the starting gig in Buffalo. Hope it works out, but it sure looks risky.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Great Goalie Debate: Ranking the NHL's 31 starting netminders in 2018-19

A midsummer ranking of the NHL’s 31 starting goalies entering the 2018-19 season.

Who’s the best starting goalie in the NHL? Who’s the worst? Does it hurt when they do the splits? These are some of the random thoughts that bounce around in a hockey lover’s head in the middle of August.

Here’s my ranking of the NHL’s 31 starting goalies entering the 2018-19 season:

29. Carter Hutton, Buffalo Sabres: A 32-year-old backup coming off an out-of-the-blue career year gets handed the starting gig in Buffalo. Hope it works out, but it sure looks risky.

And he has Lehner at 26.

If Hutton and Ullmark are a downgrade over what the Sabres had in goal last year...

:help:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
And he has Lehner at 26.

If Hutton and Ullmark are a downgrade over what the Sabres had in goal last year...

Every year you have some kind of analyst eating massive crow. These journalists take opinions and paint them as facts and because they are published people hold them on some kind of pedastool.

I wouldn't put much stock into summer hockey articles which is all speculation.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
And he has Lehner at 26.

That list is....bad

Raanta as a top 10 goalie?

MIKE SMITH at 14? Ahead of Matt Murray?

F Anderson ahead of Carey Price and John Gibson?

Lundqvist at 25? C'mon.

Is Lehner even the starter? Why is he ahead of Hutton, Craig Anderson, or anyone save Jimmy Howard and Scott Darling.

There's some objectively bad choices here.

Reactions: brian_griffin

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Every year you have some kind of analyst eating massive crow. These journalists take opinions and paint them as facts and because they are published people hold them on some kind of pedastool.

You're not wrong in identifying the bolded as the M.O. of some of those that cover hockey *cough*Paul Hamilton*cough* but that seems to be an odd case to make for clearly subjective rankings.

That says, I agree with the consensus that is a pretty bad list.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It is an opinion piece and not something being put forth as fact.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That list is....bad

Raanta as a top 10 goalie?

MIKE SMITH at 14? Ahead of Matt Murray?

F Anderson ahead of Carey Price and John Gibson?

Lundqvist at 25? C'mon.

Is Lehner even the starter? Why is he ahead of Hutton, Craig Anderson, or anyone save Jimmy Howard and Scott Darling.

There's some objectively bad choices here.

In general... I think goalie rankings are pretty stupid.... but in Raanta's case... among goalies with 100+ games played over the last 3 years, he has the best total Save % (.925) and GAA (2.25)....

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I am not sure Hutton is much better than Lehner but he has a better team in front of him than Lehner did last year plus Housley should have learned a bit and crack the best 30 coaches in the league.

Reactions: joshjull

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I am not sure Hutton is much better than Lehner but he has a better team in front of him than Lehner did last year plus Housley should have learned a bit and crack the best 30 coaches in the league.

How do you figure?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Where I expect Hutton to be an improvement (outside of the obvious - shootouts & breakaways) is in his consistency and demeanor on the ice.

From what I’ve seen of him, he seems more positionally sound than Lehner was. I don’t expect him to get caught out of position as much, or overplay pucks nearly as much.

I also think he will be a much more calming influence on and off the ice for his teammates, and I also don’t think he will allow the other team to get into his head like Lehner seemed to.

I think a calming veteran presence in net will be a good thing for Buffalo.

Hopefully he won’t give up as many back breaking softies, either...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad