Player Discussion Sabres sign G Carter Hutton to a 3 Year Deal with $2.75M AAV

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Where I expect Hutton to be an improvement (outside of the obvious - shootouts & breakaways) is in his consistency and demeanor on the ice.

From what I’ve seen of him, he seems more positionally sound than Lehner was. I don’t expect him to get caught out of position as much, or overplay pucks nearly as much.

I also think he will be a much more calming influence on and off the ice for his teammates, and I also don’t think he will allow the other team to get into his head like Lehner seemed to.

I think a calming veteran presence in net will be a good thing for Buffalo.

Hopefully he won’t give up as many back breaking softies, either...

Exactly, that's largely how I see it.

In addition, we know that he is someone who is able to step in when another goalie that he shares the net with falters. He doesn't need to be playing most of the games to stay sharp. And whenever he steps in, we can expect consistency and stability, that instills confidence in the team in front of him. He's basically the perfect goalie when you have a 1A / 1B setup.

This has to be one of the smartest signings around the league this off-season.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
I'm curious what you guys think the split in games will be, between the two, if both are healthy.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'm curious what you guys think the split in games will be, between the two, if both are healthy.

I recall reading Hutton was expected to start around 50 games. Guessing that means around 32 for Ullmark.
My preseason prediction for Hutton is 48 starts and 30 wins.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I recall reading Hutton was expected to start around 50 games. Guessing that means around 32 for Ullmark.
My preseason prediction for Hutton is 48 starts and 30 wins.

If Hutton is winning 63% of his starts he’s starting more than 48 games.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
impressed with his ability to play the puck. That has been lacking around here for some time
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. Miller couldn't handle the puck well, and no one since could. Trying to remember who the last Sabres goalie who could actually play the puck well.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Overall I liked what I saw from Hutton in the preseason. Very calm in the net, doesn't scramble or lose control. Looking forward to watching him this season, I think he's going to be a big improvement over Lehner.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad