Player Discussion Sabres sign G Carter Hutton to a 3 Year Deal with $2.75M AAV

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I'm so glad we have him instead of Lehner. I think this might be one of the biggest reasons why we will be much better this year. I just felt like we almost never had a shot with Lehner in goal it will be very refreshing seeing someone else back there.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Overall I liked what I saw from Hutton in the preseason. Very calm in the net, doesn't scramble or lose control. Looking forward to watching him this season, I think he's going to be a big improvement over Lehner.

I am more worried about the five guys in front of the goalies than I am with Hutton and Ullmark.

The only concern I have in goal this year is that neither Hutton nor Ullmark has been an NHL #1 before. And it has been a long time since Hutton has played 50+ games in a season.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
10-10: Sabres' Goalie Carter Hutton on WGR (6:46)

#Sabres goalie Carter Hutton (@CarterHutton) joins Jeremy and Sal next on WGR! Tune in:

Hutton - It's always nice to start at home, you can get in a groove with the fans. Getting a few wins and some points help before we head out on the road. #Sabres

Hutton - I think we're taking some good steps here early on. It's a hard league to play in. At this point with the young guys, they're learning what they can get away with early in the season. #Sabres

Hutton - We can't overthink things, can't let things snowball on us. We can't try to do too many things. I try to bring my personality every day, and we have guys who are bringing the right message every day. #Sabres

Hutton - Dahlin is pretty skilled, but he's just getting used to the league. It's impressive that he's already playing in the NHL. I just want to do my best to share information with some of the young kids on the blue line and in goal. #Sabres

Hutton - A lot of what he does is impressive, and he'll learn what he can and can't get away with in the NHL. What he's doing right now as an 18-year-old is incredible. He has a bright future ahead of him. #Sabres

Hutton - Eichel is incredible with the puck, his skating is effortless. As a leader, he's done a great job here. He wears his heart on his sleeve and he's the hardest working player. He's done a great job taking over the captaincy, leading by example. #Sabres

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Dominator always comes up when people talk about late blooming goalies. I think these guys are more comparable to Hutton:
Tim Thomas didn't become a starter until he was 31 years old. Retired at age 39. Did not play 2012-13
Dwayne Roloson was 31 when he became a starter with the Wild. He retired at age 40.
Hutton is 32 years old

Roloson, Thomas, and Hutton have similar builds, around 6', 200lb. They're not the jumbo goalies favored by Tim Murray

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
neither Hutton nor Ullmark has been an NHL #1 before. And it has been a long time since Hutton has played 50+ games in a season.

I get the sense that as the season progresses, Ullmark will be ready for an increased workload and will be able to play well enough, often enough, to keep Carter the Hutt fresh.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The Dominator always comes up when people talk about late blooming goalies. I think these guys are more comparable to Hutton:
Tim Thomas didn't become a starter until he was 31 years old. Retired at age 39. Did not play 2012-13
Dwayne Roloson was 31 when he became a starter with the Wild. He retired at age 40.
Hutton is 32 years old

Roloson, Thomas, and Hutton have similar builds, around 6', 200lb. They're not the jumbo goalies favored by Tim Murray

Which is weird because he wasn't a late bloomer, he was just late coming to this side of the Atlantic. He was the Czech league's best goaltender for 5 straight years before coming over. Once he did, he got almost no chance to play behind Belfour in Chicago. As soon as he came to Buffalo and became a starter, he became the Dom we all remember.

Tangent aside, I'd be pretty stoked if Hutton was the next Thomas.

Reactions: Reddawg

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Hutton is 32 years old

Thomas is the guy I always think of when I think of Hutton. You know, minus the crazy. Hopefully.

Reactions: debaser66

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
If “handle the puck” means with his stick (that’s how I interpreted that statement) then Miller was terrible at handling the puck IMO :dunno:
maybe i am putting miller up on a pedestal, but i remember miller being active around the net when he could, especially in the 2010 olympics. He though he was Marty Brodeur out there.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Yeah, he was active. But he was terrible at it.
Look, just because a guy plays the puck and gets leveled once by Lucic, doesn’t make him terrible :sarcasm:

I guess my initial thought was that the last few goalies we’ve had stay in the paint and don’t try and play the puck, which is a mistake because then there is no modicum of control over the tempo of the game.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I remember Martin Biron against Philly foolishly playing a puck far from the net gave it away to a Flyer and proceed to make one of the best saves I have ever seen in my life. Hutton is definitely a great puck handler and that matters a lot on PPs and playing an up tempo system when a goalie can accurately pass a puck to center ice.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Average...

Also known as mediocre around these parts. Our goalie is very mediocre... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad