Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The more and more I think about it. The more I’m convinced Adams has to make a blockbuster deal if we are gonna get a RD.

Would he do something around Tanev and Markstrom/Vladar? Markstrom 3 years left at 6 million, I think he still has some in the tank. Vladar isn’t proven as a starter and a bit of an unknown.
Maybe Lindholm? Seems like Flames consider Markstrom buyout fodder maybe it could lessen the price on one of their RD to take on that contract.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Are we really trying to crown mitts as a 1C ? Anyone playing with tuch and skinner will see increased production. Tage is the most skilled on the team when he’s injured and can barely stay in the lineup. Trading tage is the quickest way to sabotage our build. Mitts “breaks out” at the end of every season it’s fools gold.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Are we really trying to crown mitts as a 1C ? Anyone playing with tuch and skinner will see increased production. Tage is the most skilled on the team when he’s injured and can barely stay in the lineup. Trading tage is the quickest way to sabotage our build. Mitts “breaks out” at the end of every season it’s fools gold.
Please direct me where any serious poster said we need to trade Tage because Mitts is the chosen one.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The last sentence is nonsense. But so is the idea any serious poster thinks Mitts should be the 1C over Tage. I’m one of Mitts biggest fans and think the idea is ridiculous.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I understand your point. I think where we disagree is in our value of Casey. I think if Mitts played on the top line all year, he'd have a similar number of points as Tage ended up with, albeit with fewer explosions of 4-5 points. He seemed to be that consistent 1-2 point per night player when playing with elite talent, and far less streaky

I agree we need elite offensive talent. I just feel Mitts is that level, just not in a flashy way as is Tage
This insane. Casey's goal scoring per 82 games stayed exacly the same this year as the last few. His +/- was also right on target. What changed, is he had 20 more assists than normal, partly because of PP time and also getting some time with topline scorers that finish the plays. AND he got leaner and faster physically over the year. So he became a better player.

Now, not only are people taking him from wing (where he is finally finding a place in the NHL), and putting him back to center, but they are now calling him a 1C, having him replace Thompson (and trade Tage), and predicting him to be a 80-90 point center in that role, and suggesting we give him and 8x7.1 AAV contract. Did I leave anything out? Thats absolutely nuts.

I do not want to see them give Casey a contract extention this off season. I give him the third line left wind slot and make him show me its not just a hot finish. Then if he proves he has made a real step, you can extend him mid season like they did Cozens.

Crazy.....Nutz.....what are you people thinking.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
not sure this draft is the best to start, at least in the 1st; its a weak D draft

But there are some interesting guys, some clustered in the 2nd round as of now. That said, I would love it if they could get help for right now using some of their draft picks, shoring up the needs on defense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The more and more I think about it. The more I’m convinced Adams has to make a blockbuster deal if we are gonna get a RD.

Would he do something around Tanev and Markstrom/Vladar? Markstrom 3 years left at 6 million, I think he still has some in the tank. Vladar isn’t proven as a starter and a bit of an unknown.

I've loved Tanev since he got to Vancouver (go go UDFA collegians who work out!) but there is certainly the risks there of his typical health (he's giving a team about 60-ish games) and his age. And his contract control.

I go back and forth on Markstrom. His first year in Calgary he struggled a bit, his second he was great, then this year he was a mess. And it's not like Sutter doesn't harp on structured defense so I'm leery of what a guy who likes structured defense would do in the chaos of Sabres' d-zone mayhem.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This insane. Casey's goal scoring per 82 games stayed exacly the same this year as the last few. His +/- was also right on target. What changed, is he had 20 more assists than normal, partly because of PP time and also getting some time with topline scorers that finish the plays. AND he got leaner and faster physically over the year. So he became a better player.

Now, not only are people taking him from wing (where he is finally finding a place in the NHL), and putting him back to center, but they are now calling him a 1C, having him replace Thompson (and trade Tage), and predicting him to be a 80-90 point center in that role, and suggesting we give him and 8x7.1 AAV contract. Did I leave anything out? Thats absolutely nuts.

I do not want to see them give Casey a contract extention this off season. I give him the third line left wind slot and make him show me its not just a hot finish. Then if he proves he has made a real step, you can extend him mid season like they did Cozens.

Crazy.....Nutz.....what are you people thinking.
A person...one person...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

The ufa market isn’t bad for RHD, especially since we don’t need a high end offensive guy. They can take a swing at a Clifton/Severson/Dumba/Mayfield for the mid term type deals. The is probably something Adams should get started at immediately since the only asset this would cost is cap hit (and maybe a late round sweetener if Buffalo wants to get ahead of the market and get a guy's rights).

I found this chart interesting:

1681662183043.png

Note while the offensive values dropped about the same as forwards, the defensive impacts were reasonably steady until the early 30s. And even then, it's not a huge downward slope. So, when looking at guys in their late 20s (like Dumba/Severson/Clifton), the important thing is to stay away from Term beyond the 32-34ish range. Obviously it's going to vary for each d-man (and their health)

If they can weaponize the 10.2c RFA with Power and get him to a McAvoy-ish Bridge, that gives us a 4 year window where we can overpay for a 3/4 D, gives us time to develop internal options.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
1) A top 4 capable defenseman.
2) A new PK assistant .
3) A new goalie coach.
4) A fix for their goaltending situation.
5) A PKing/checking responsible forward. (This is more of an option).

Essentially still - 1 defenseman, 1 goalie, 1 forward.

Number 1 need not be someone whose value is pumped by being a PP guy and offensive situations guy *cough* Andersson * cough*. They need someone to partner with Power who can defend the rush, defend the net front, PK stoutly and smartly. That might be Samuelsson if they choose another partner for Dahlin though I'm not sure they are thinking that much outside the box. I dread that they think Jokiharju is going to take some leap, his play eroded this year. I'm hoping they are on the case looking at folks who we might not think about.

I posted my "what I think they'll do" thoughts earlier, but this list is exactly where I'm at.

#3 is a thought that has been quietly gaining momentum through the season, and since the Ullmark/Essensa article came out, now seems to be getting major traction among both the fans and the media guys.

I always thought Bales had a very good rep when he was hired, but development, health, consistency, and overall performance of our goalies has really been an issue here since he arrived. KA seems like a very loyal GM, I wonder where they sit with the coaching staff and specifically Bales.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I posted my "what I think they'll do" thoughts earlier, but this list is exactly where I'm at.

#3 is a thought that has been quietly gaining momentum through the season, and since the Ullmark/Essensa article came out, now seems to be getting major traction among both the fans and the media guys.

I always thought Bales had a very good rep when he was hired, but development, health, consistency, and overall performance of our goalies has really been an issue here since he arrived. KA seems like a very loyal GM, I wonder where they sit with the coaching staff and specifically Bales.

Mike Condon. Levi's goalie coach at Northeastern.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Tage isn’t untouchable, but he’s extremely close to that. If you’re offered McDavid for him, you do that. If you’re offered Zegras + Anaheim’s 1st this year, you do that. If you offer a package as an outsider to a team that makes me pause and wanna give a couple of days to mull it over, you think about it.

In other words if you can swap Tage to fill the exact hole with him being gone, plus can back fill on other holes, you do that every time. But unless a GM blows you away with an offer you say no.

Or: 1C for 1C + Top 2/4D and/or 1G, you think about it. Like if Tampa offered Point + Hagel or Paul + Cernak for Tage, I’m probably gonna accept. We’ll make the contracts work later
Tage is mathematically untouchable, the assets you'd have to send back would cripple the team sending them, theres a reason big name players never return their value
I should have, but I also expect people who have grown up speaking English to understand it in the written form. I’ve come to realize they do not. Instead they take what you say and then get angry instead of asking for clarification first. What they think you say is what you’re actually saying.

View attachment 689256
English is an impossibly dense collection of exceptions, context, and silent rules

the supreme court of the united states exists almost solely to interpret the english language, your expectations do not exist in the english speaking reality

my 3L oral advocacy competition in law school involved argueing for 3 days about the meaning of causation, and the country has been arguing the meaning of a comma in the 2nd amendment for over 200 years

Last edited:
Reactions: zuikan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

A person...one person...

Yeah, this isn't a we. This is "a".

Mike Condon. Levi's goalie coach at Northeastern.

That's who I'm wondering about.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The last sentence is nonsense. But so is the idea any serious poster thinks Mitts should be the 1C over Tage. I’m one of Mitts biggest fans and think the idea is ridiculous.
Had the same conversation last year. He looked good at the end then doesn’t translate into the next year. So no it’s not nonsense

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Had the same conversation last year. He looked good at the end then doesn’t translate into the next year. So no it’s not nonsense

Go back the year prior and he came out of camp as their #1, then got injured. He carried the end of the season Granato took over into camp, looked very good in preseason and then had the injury/surgery thing.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
In terms of next season, moving Olofsson would allow us to spend at or near the cap floor if they wanted to go that route. This summer will be telling with concerns to what the budget will be like going forward. I hope some local media member asks Adams some direct questions about it today.
Will certainly be entertaining watching the people who want Vic off the roster complain about Pegula being cheap for trading him away, especially if his roster spot goes to someone on an ELC.

Reactions: joshjull

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
At least a couple of people actually understood what I said, instead of just straight out calling me an idiot.

They’d be right in doing that, but at least they understood what I said before doing that. Apparently reading English when it’s your first language is hard. I can only imagine what our foreign posters like @Nikolajs Sillers thinks when he tries to translate
I want to use opportunity to say big Thank You to all Sabres forum members to not laughing about my English as English is my third language. You guys awesome.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
At least a couple of people actually understood what I said, instead of just straight out calling me an idiot.

They’d be right in doing that, but at least they understood what I said before doing that. Apparently reading English when it’s your first language is hard. I can only imagine what our foreign posters like @Nikolajs Sillers thinks when he tries to translate

I want to use opportunity to say big Thank You to all Sabres forum members to not laughing about my English as English is my third language. You guys awesome.

Don't pay those people any attention. I am just awful at languages so I appreciate anyone that can read, write or speak more than one! You're great posters, keep them coming.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Will certainly be entertaining watching the people who want Vic off the roster complain about Pegula being cheap for trading him away, especially if his roster spot goes to someone on an ELC.
To be frank if we are a cap floor team again next year….people should be upset. Olofsson moving out doesn’t really matter as long as long as they are spending elsewhere.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

These two things are unrelated. If they move Vic and sit at the floor again…I don’t see how that’s an argument they aren’t being cheap regardless of how you feel about Olofsson. The cap space with obvious roster holes is one problem. Olofsson being garbage is a second, unrelated problem. Fixing the latter would be great. I don’t know how it excuses the former.

If they cheap out on goal and D again…that’s a problem.

This team missed by one game. If they won’t spend to fill their obvious holes now…it’s a giant f***ing problem. There’s no D coming to fix their issue. Drafting one this year doesn’t fix it for years. If they work out. They need to address their issues. In part…With money. If they don’t what other opinion can you possibly have but cheap?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
As far as cap space goes, if Olofsson gets traded and then Compher gets signed for 4.75 mil AAV, I'm definitely not going to complain about not using more cap space. Same for trading Jokiharju to Sea for Borgen (re-signed for 2.5 mil AAV) and coming out cap neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad