Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I got scolded by Zman for saying draft a defenseman and its not right if you don't take best player available. That being said if Reinbacher and ASP are off the board there is no defenseman worthy of the 13 pick. I would rather trade for a defenseman in the 23-25 year old range that fits in
I hear ya but it's hard enough to hit on a pick. Once you limit your options, you lower the probability.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I understand your point. I think where we disagree is in our value of Casey. I think if Mitts played on the top line all year, he'd have a similar number of points as Tage ended up with, albeit with fewer explosions of 4-5 points. He seemed to be that consistent 1-2 point per night player when playing with elite talent, and far less streaky

I agree we need elite offensive talent. I just feel Mitts is that level, just not in a flashy way as is Tage

I love Mitts and he has nowhere near the potential to be the player Tage is. He isn’t near the goal scorer and doesn’t have near the ability to take over a game.

You don’t trade 1Cs on great contracts. And you certainly don’t trade them for a package headlined by a goalie and change

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I could be convinced on trading tage for the right package. But I’m not trading Tage because Mittelstadt played well for 8 games in the 1c role. Thompson has scored over 80 goals in that slot the last two years. Mittelstadts ceiling is lower than Thompson’s floor for the immediate future.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I really thought Noah Warren had potential to be right side Samuelsson. Too early to write off the Leinonen I guess, but I'd feel really good about the future of our D if we had gone in that direction last year.

While we definitely need some guys, I feel like Leinonen is what happens when you force a pick by position. We can trade for defensive prospects, just can't miss the value at the draft while hunting for specfic positions especially if this is a forward heavy draft in round 1.

I wonder what the best current NHL defenseman we could get with the 13th pick
Maybe put a thread in the trade forum and see what other fans say

Reactions: Diaspora

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
At least a couple of people actually understood what I said, instead of just straight out calling me an idiot.

They’d be right in doing that, but at least they understood what I said before doing that. Apparently reading English when it’s your first language is hard. I can only imagine what our foreign posters like @Nikolajs Sillers thinks when he tries to translate

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He phrased it wrong, should of wrote it as Point + Cernak + Hagel or Paul

I should have, but I also expect people who have grown up speaking English to understand it in the written form. I’ve come to realize they do not. Instead they take what you say and then get angry instead of asking for clarification first. What they think you say is what you’re actually saying.

1681631528636.gif

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Anyone scared that we will trade away good players soon just to get rid of salary?
A reason for Adams inaction could be $ and an internal cap below the cap floor could be hard for him to stay under. Okposo's deal expiring saves us some at least.
My big worry is for this team to be killed by the owner's 180 on spending.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Anyone scared that we will trade away good players soon just to get rid of salary?
A reason for Adams inaction could be $ and an internal cap below the cap floor could be hard for him to stay under. Okposo's deal expiring saves us some at least.

No. Any trades that may happen is because they think it will make the team better. We’re not in cap dump territory yet. We’re barely in to players wanting to be on Buffalo, let alone getting rid of them

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No. Any trades that may happen is because they think it will make the team better. We’re not in cap dump territory yet. We’re barely in to players wanting to be on Buffalo, let alone getting rid of them
I was thinking more along the lines if our internal cap is around 60-65 million to save Pegula-bucks.
I'm just trying to come up with ways for the Sabres to go full Sabres on us again.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
A goalie
A top 4 Dman
New assistant coaches
1 or 2 forwards that can play defense and PK
Getting rid off the dead weight
Also I want Kyle to retire, really don't want him eat another cheapshot that could end his life.

Not that big of a list

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I was thinking more along the lines if our internal cap is around 60-65 million to save Pegula-bucks.
I'm just trying to come up with ways for the Sabres to go full Sabres on us again.
I don't think that should be a concern. T. Pegula and everyone down through the front office know that they have to ice a quality product to fill the barn. Playing exciting (and cheap) young players is a budget way to get fans back, but trading away those players (which the fan base has grown to love) to avoid paying them would drive fans away and destroy the positive feelings this team is starting to produce.

Even J. Roth, the new financial guy, made it clear that he knows the team has to spend and be competitive to become profitable again.

Since they tried to buy quick success with a max cap approach under both Murray and Botts, and failed miserably, I think Pegula is now content to roll with young players and save while he can as the team develops. I would not expect the team to throw big contracts at any outsiders, but I believe they will pay their homegrown guys.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

In terms of next season, moving Olofsson would allow us to spend at or near the cap floor if they wanted to go that route. This summer will be telling with concerns to what the budget will be like going forward. I hope some local media member asks Adams some direct questions about it today.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

No

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
We couldn’t have waited until the second page to break the thread? :laugh:

I’m excited for this off-season. The needs are obvious (top 4 defenseman, goalie to secure the net with Levi, a two way, physical forward. And we are still loaded with prospects, so I think Adams could go big game hunting and get a a skilled winger to play with Tage.

I’m going to annoy everyone, but it’s time. Pat Kane on a one or two year deal to play with Tage and finish out his career. It actually finally makes sense.

Looking at maybe Tom Wilson as possibly being available. He has one year left on his deal, but would change the shape of this lineup. Imagine him opening up the ice for Pat Kane and Thompson to work their magic. Drool. Would probably cost a pretty penny, but we have the ammo.

For top 4 defenseman to play with Power, I’m looking at the Blues. Nick Leddy? Justin Faulk? To get this type of lineup, we’d have to be willing to part with some premium assets, but I think this team would be able to challenge anyone.

We could roll out something like this:

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch
Kane? - Thompson - Tom Wilson?
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - Krebs - Kulich? Rousek?

Dahlin - Sammy
Power - (insert Blues defensemen here)
Boosh - Joker
Stillman

Levi
I’m not going to try to guess the other goalie.

Anyway, that was my day dream this morning. Feel free to tell me I’m a dumb ass.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Maybe put a thread in the trade forum and see what other fans say
That forum can be hit or miss, but its probably worth it for this one since there's likely a good number of fans who are interested in seeing whats available. I'm just bracing myself for the offers of bottom pairing guys with 1 year of ok analytics.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
We couldn’t have waited until the second page to break the thread? :laugh:

I’m excited for this off-season. The needs are obvious (top 4 defenseman, goalie to secure the net with Levi, a two way, physical forward. And we are still loaded with prospects, so I think Adams could go big game hunting and get a a skilled winger to play with Tage.

I’m going to annoy everyone, but it’s time. Pat Kane on a one or two year deal to play with Tage and finish out his career. It actually finally makes sense.

Looking at maybe Tom Wilson as possibly being available. He has one year left on his deal, but would change the shape of this lineup. Imagine him opening up the ice for Pat Kane and Thompson to work their magic. Drool. Would probably cost a pretty penny, but we have the ammo.

For top 4 defenseman to play with Power, I’m looking at the Blues. Nick Leddy? Justin Faulk? To get this type of lineup, we’d have to be willing to part with some premium assets, but I think this team would be able to challenge anyone.

We could roll out something like this:

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch
Kane? - Thompson - Tom Wilson?
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - Krebs - Kulich? Rousek?

Dahlin - Sammy
Power - (insert Blues defensemen here)
Boosh - Joker
Stillman

Levi
I’m not going to try to guess the other goalie.

Anyway, that was my day dream this morning. Feel free to tell me I’m a dumb ass.
Kane is toast

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1) A top 4 capable defenseman.
2) A new PK assistant .
3) A new goalie coach.
4) A fix for their goaltending situation.
5) A PKing/checking responsible forward. (This is more of an option).

Essentially still - 1 defenseman, 1 goalie, 1 forward.

Number 1 need not be someone whose value is pumped by being a PP guy and offensive situations guy *cough* Andersson * cough*. They need someone to partner with Power who can defend the rush, defend the net front, PK stoutly and smartly. That might be Samuelsson if they choose another partner for Dahlin though I'm not sure they are thinking that much outside the box. I dread that they think Jokiharju is going to take some leap, his play eroded this year. I'm hoping they are on the case looking at folks who we might not think about.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
As someone mentioned in the next 2 drafts our 1st round selections (if they aren't traded) better be defenseman. KA needs to replenish our pipeline with defenseman!
not sure this draft is the best to start, at least in the 1st; its a weak D draft

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The more and more I think about it. The more I’m convinced Adams has to make a blockbuster deal if we are gonna get a RD.

Would he do something around Tanev and Markstrom/Vladar? Markstrom 3 years left at 6 million, I think he still has some in the tank. Vladar isn’t proven as a starter and a bit of an unknown.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Mitts is quite possibly the Sabres most skilled player outside of Dahlin, but he is physically unable to impose his will like Tage can. Saying that, there's few players in the league that can, so you don't trade a unicorn for a dollar's worth of quarters
as @dortt said something in the lines that players are commodities which is true but team chemistry issues are not foreseeable and why tinker with that and maybe destroy something you build over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad