Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Granto must be doing something because Samuelsson and Dahlin are ~54% starts on the fly. Boosh and Jokiharju were ~62%. That's almost a 20% difference.
I appreciate the fun spin on the stats. Granato wasn’t doing anything because coaches don’t worry about on the fly starts. I don’t get why you think this is a thing.
I misread the stat line and attributed Dahlin's to Power. Overall Power was 13.5%/10.9% OZ/DZ Samuelsson 11.9%/13.4%.
I’m not sure why this matters. Joker has similar numbers to Sammy. Dahlin is similar to Power.

Dahlin —-> 56%
Power —-> 55.6%
Joker ——> 47.7
Sammy —-> 46.8%

But the top 2 pairs were deployed in roughly the same balanced deployments (OZS% of 48%+49% respectively). Individual usage can be different than pairing usage.

But the stats also say Buffalo's two best pairings were Power-Samuelsson and Dahlin-Jokiharju.
They were successful in their minutes together. But total minutes played together, how they were deployed, etc have to be factored in. They played far fewer and easier minutes than the top 2 pairs. You’re not comparing apples to apples When you put their stats against each other.
I'm just unconvinced at this point in his career Power is actually a good two-way defensemen; but he will be.

I agree but I don't think Granato cares based on how much he used him last season at 5v5. The Sabres averaged 48:46mins a game at 5v5. Power played about 40% of it (19:45mins 5v5).

There is no hiding a player from tough matchups or top opposition getting that many 5v5 minutes.

Last edited:

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I don’t have a good reason why, but I think Mitts is going to blow up this year. He put up 60 points last year carrying around the corpse of VO. Only 16 were on the PP.

I think he could go P/GP. He really kicked it up a gear at the end of the year when the games were most important. 17 points in the last 11 games! Only one game in that span with no points is incredible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I always assumed acquiring Luke Tuch would be a feel-good move for Rochester. Nice to have him and all the vibes with his brother, but he'd be a AHL guy most likely...which is fine.

I think of him a bit like Murray is - has some tools, needs to work on things to get to another level but could be a good fit for a mid-line guy for the Amerks since they have seen they could use some more beef there. And if he builds up into something, excellent.

Getting back to Petry, it would be an interesting off-season if they completely overhaul their right side of the defense. But my, someone would have to go.

Bet

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don’t have a good reason why, but I think Mitts is going to blow up this year. He put up 60 points last year carrying around the corpse of VO. Only 16 were on the PP.

I think he could go P/GP. He really kicked it up a gear at the end of the year when the games were most important. 17 points in the last 11 games! Only one game in that span with no points is incredible.
I will change my avatar to Ralph Krueger's introductory press conference for a year if Mitts puts up 80+ points.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I think he has a chance to finally breakout but not if he has to play another season with VO on his line.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

It depend on lines. I want multiple scoring lines

Reactions: Matt Ress

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

The corpse of vo… checks notes… 28 goals.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If Mitts can be consistent between Tuch and Skinner, then have Tage and Cozens behind him. Not everyone likes that idea but if it works it would be scary
My issue with this is that Tage is half as effective at wing, so he has to play center, and does anyone really think not developing Cozens as a big, fast, two-way second line center is not the best idea moving forward?

Cozens at wing may give you a little more versatility this season, but is it in the best interest of the team's long term competitive plan? I do not believe it is.

I was Mitts biggest defender on this board last season, and I really like the kid, but I think this team's future is brighter having Cozens as a top six pivot and Casey as the depth option for injuries. For that reason alone I want Cozens getting full time center reps and learning center defensive responsibilities the next couple of seasons.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
My issue with this is that Tage is half as effective at wing, so he has to play center, and does anyone really think not developing Cozens as a big, fast, two-way second line center is not the best idea moving forward?

Cozens at wing may give you a little more versatility this season, but is it in the best interest of the team's long term competitive plan? I do not believe it is.

I was Mitts biggest defender on this board last season, and I really like the kid, but I think this team's future is brighter having Cozens as a top six pivot and Casey as the depth option for injuries. For that reason alone I want Cozens getting full time center reps and learning center defensive responsibilities the next couple of seasons.
The best near-future development of the FWs and lines has TT and Cozens as the 1-2 punch. Mitts comes in as a 3rd scoring C that creates the match-up problems Buffalo caused in the mid 2000s. Eventually he could be replaced by Savoie/Ostlund but not anytime soon. Mitts said he was feeling a lot better at C ending last season so I expect/hope he stays there to start off October. Someone else can fill in for Quinn if the result is a decent-to-good 3rd line of Greenway-Mitts-Olofsson playing for a contract like he means it. Even Olofsson playing more typical, Greenway is a big upgrade over what Asplund was doing the first 30-40 games. Better balanced scoring and having TT and Cozens developing more into their expected roles is the best equation.

Reactions: Dingo44

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Mitts can be consistent between Tuch and Skinner, then have Tage and Cozens behind him. Not everyone likes that idea but if it works it would be scary
My preference would be to have Skinner, mitts, Tuch, Cozens, tage, and Krebs be spread out of 2 per line for 3 lines. Mitts snd Krebs cant be on the same line.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
My preference would be to have Skinner, mitts, Tuch, Cozens, tage, and Krebs be spread out of 2 per line for 3 lines. Mitts snd Krebs cant be on the same line.

While I agree that keeping Mitts and Krebs on separate lines is ideal, having the teams top 4 centers playing on the top 3 lines all but guarantees Jost is in the lineup fulltime as the fourth line center - for better or worse.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad