Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kane helps this team. don't kid yourself. The best USA born player ever. PPG Career and PPG in playoffs. showtime.

I really think he'd fit well next to Greenway-Mitts-Kane. 3rd line minutes. high o-zone starts, cool with that

not saying throwing the bag at him he's obviously in the twilight of his career. but someone of kane caliber being at the end of their career is still really good. trade oloffson, give kane 2-3yX around 5m deal.

Don't think he's after money, guys made well over 100M already in his career
Hard pass.

If they sign Kane, it should be a 1 yr deal and that is it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Everybody is reinforcing the lack of relevance of preseason until it comes to VO. Even if the staff is not impressed, he'll get some swings in real games

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah, I am not super high on the PKane idea.

But, I think there is enough smoke there that you cannot completely dismiss it as a potential move.

The path forward is really interesting when it comes to the last four guys in and the last four guys out. And the Quinn and Savoie injuries have made things even more interesting than it would have been if they had both been healthy.
Whats the smoke?
Hockey "journalists" figuring he is too washed up for a contender so they go to the "he is coming home" story.

Reactions: beerme1

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Kane helps this team. don't kid yourself. The best USA born player ever. PPG Career and PPG in playoffs. showtime.

I really think he'd fit well next to Greenway-Mitts-Kane. 3rd line minutes. high o-zone starts, cool with that

not saying throwing the bag at him he's obviously in the twilight of his career. but someone of kane caliber being at the end of their career is still really good. trade oloffson, give kane 2-3yX around 5m deal.

Don't think he's after money, guys made well over 100M already in his career
You have to face the reality that he is not the player you are describing anymore.

Everybody is reinforcing the lack of relevance of preseason until it comes to VO. Even if the staff is not impressed, he'll get some swings in real games
Yes he will but he should be on the hot seat and not drifting around the roster the whole year like last season.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I disagree. Wins and losses in the preseason don't have much relevance but performance and productivity is.

Preseason is for showing you can do the things needed to win, even if winning isn't currently that important.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I disagree. Wins and losses in the preseason don't have much relevance but performance and productivity is.

Preseason is for showing you can do the things needed to win, even if winning isn't currently that important.
We all agree that he needs to do more to help the team win. But it's almost as if Granato told vets to take it easy and not get hurt because literally every single roster lock went half speed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Whats the smoke?
Hockey "journalists" figuring he is too washed up for a contender so they go to the "he is coming home" story.
There are more than a few insiders saying that the Sabres are interested. Feel free to ignore all of that. But, that counts as smoke for me.

And it is way more than the hometown kid thing given the connections he has to both Adams and Granato.

:dunno:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 2

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
If Playoffs are part of the plan for this year, squeezing Kane aboard, for the right price, and only 1 year, is a no-brainer.

I'm blackened with cynicism after seeing so many entitled dirtbags get a pass for horrible behavior. Who cares about history anymore? Not very many. If he can still keep up, he makes a lot of sense for this club.

...yes I still own an Antonio Brown jersey, why do you ask?

Reactions: elchud and jd1970

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Playoffs are part of the plan for this year, squeezing Kane aboard, for the right price, and only 1 year, is a no-brainer.

I'm blackened with cynicism after seeing so many entitled dirtbags get a pass for horrible behavior. Who cares about history anymore? Not very many. If he can still keep up, he makes a lot of sense for this club.

An Antonio Brown Bills jersey, I hope. Do you have a matching Kelvin Benjamin jersey?

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo

The Stanley Cup is the plan, and yes, he's still Bad Citizen Kane, but he's a winner. The young , talented Sabres don't know anything about that. Like the early 00's until they acquired Drury.

Reactions: newfiejesus

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Debatably, this is a matter of chance in any sport. You may end up on the wrong teams that haven't won anything, but that doesn't mean you can't have leadership qualities and character. The players speak highly of Okposo, especially the younger ones, he is like an older brother or father to them.

I'm sure you can find dozens or even hundreds of examples in sports where players are excellent leaders, but they were unlucky to win something.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Debatably, this is a matter of chance in any sport. You may end up on the wrong teams that haven't won anything, but that doesn't mean you can't have leadership qualities and character. The players speak highly of Okposo, especially the younger ones, he is like an older brother or father to them.

I'm sure you can find dozens or even hundreds of examples in sports where players are excellent leaders, but they were unlucky to win something.
Great. Let him do it from the press box. We need on ice experience
We need to strip the loser tank mentality right now.

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Daniel Alfredsson says hello, but yes, I'm not getting into the weeds on that point.

I'm not a proponent of keeping a player around just because they're good in the locker room or in the community while mediocre on the ice, or stuck around and kept positive while the results stank, but Okposo got real value.

Reactions: Zman5778

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Well. Eventually both the Bills and Sabres will deliver on the pessimism :laugh:
They always do.

0 Lombardi Trophies
0 Stanley Cups

Kane's incident with the Cabby pre-dates the Sabres playoff drought.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
There are more than a few insiders saying that the Sabres are interested. Feel free to ignore all of that. But, that counts as smoke for me.

And it is way more than the hometown kid thing given the connections he has to both Adams and Granato.

:dunno:
I surely have a hard time with the word "insiders" as they call themselves.
Since this information is probably not coming from the Sabres end, its probably fabricated by Kanes agent to gain value for his client.

But you re right about the Granato&Adams connection.
But on the other hand, why does it matter now for P.Kane? It didnt matter before when everybody wanted his services and Buffalo was not mentioned once.
So my "homecoming" should be read in this way not literal.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Why would u blame Pegula? This would 100% be a KA move
He would have to sign off on this one. I don't think they will do it. But if they do, it won't be because it makes the team better. It would be a done for the marketing and getting people in the seats. There are players on this team that have earned the spotlight that Kane would be taking. Kane is not a true Buffalonian, and I don't want him on my team. I am absolutely sure there are alot in the same camp as I am. Pegula and KA should understand this before they touch it with a ten foot pole.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

Why is it a no brainer?
He was already not himself before the surgery.
And that surgery as some stated before not many came back at the same level.
No matter in which direction you look it isnt a good fit.
I am not one of those who care about his past behaviour but I care about on ice performance and fit.
Performance is questionable.
And he is bad at what we actually need.
We were already 3rd in goals but awful on D.
And despite his initials Patrick Kane cant PK.

Reactions: beerme1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad