Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm going to have a problem if they keep 3 goalies for the sake of not giving Savoie a look. Hopefully they're just waiting for everyone else to solidify their goalies so that they can sneak one down, pull Savoie off the injury list and rotate the Wild forwards in games.

That's not how I necessarily see the lines but I don't want to lose anyone. With that, if VO is spending significant time in the press box, just move on however.
Given Savoie's injury, I think they will have time to make a decision.

I would not rule out them giving Benson 9 games while Savoie gets healthy. Then they send Benson to the WHL and give Savoie 9 games and send him back to the WHL after the 9 games.

Then it might be PKane time...

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
They're all Ranger fans

Ugh... the last guy to talk psychology and hockey didn't work out very well
I've seen a lot of different companies identify communication, development, positivity, putting people in the best circumstances...as their philosophical goals but very few have the patience, leadership and diligence to actually achieve that culture. Identifying an ideal is easy. Achieving it is apparently not so easy.

When it is achieved, the impact of great leadership is clear. I believe this notion applies to any group of people with a combined goal.

Sorry. In work brain mode.

I would not rule out them giving Benson 9 games while Savoie gets healthy. Then they send Benson to the WHL and give Savoie 9 games and send him back to the WHL after the 9 games.

I like all of that except for the last bit lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I am not super high on the PKane idea.

But, I think there is enough smoke there that you cannot completely dismiss it as a potential move.

The path forward is really interesting when it comes to the last four guys in and the last four guys out. And the Quinn and Savoie injuries have made things even more interesting than it would have been if they had both been healthy.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yeah, I am not super high on the PKane idea.

But, I think there is enough smoke there that you cannot completely dismiss it as a potential move.

The path forward is really interesting when it comes to the last four guys in and the last four guys out. And the Quinn and Savoie injuries have made things even more interesting than it would have been if they had both been healthy.
I know it's a dicey contract situation but it will feel like a cop out if they just send both kids down with no real NHL experience. And we both know they're carrying a 7th defenseman. Maybe it's VO moved or Biro but the three headed goalie is running out of space. They had to have a plan for this for months, right? It's been foreseeable.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've seen a lot of different companies identify communication, development, positivity, putting people in the best circumstances...as their philosophical goals but very few have the patience, leadership and diligence to actually achieve that culture. Identifying an ideal is easy. Achieving it is apparently not so easy.

When it is achieved, the impact of great leadership is clear. I believe this notion applies to any group of people with a combined goal.

Sorry. In work brain mode.

Yeah man... it was just a dunk on Ralph 😅

• Haha

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know it's a dicey contract situation but it will feel like a cop out if they just send both kids down with no real NHL experience. And we both know they're carrying a 7th defenseman. Maybe it's VO moved or Biro but the three headed goalie is running out of space. They had to have a plan for this for months, right? It's been foreseeable.
The problem is that it takes two to tango. The lack of cap space around the league has led to this constipated roster as they wanted to move VO, but they likely did not get any real interest.

And I bet they wanted UPL to outplay Comrie and make the decision easier. But, that has not been the case. And given that he makes less than $1M, UPL is the guy that is much more likely to be claimed by a LTIR team like TB.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not getting the Pat Kane fascination.

The Sabres two obvious areas for improvement are defensive zone play and PK. He doesn't help with either.
Former teammate and roommate of the Sabres GM.

Buffalo native.

Multiple Stanley Cups and one of the best American hockey players of all time.

I don't want them to sign him. But, I would not be mad if PKane were playing over VO.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Sabres start off decent, we give the new kids a taste and by Dec 1st/15th we’re playing playoff position hockey….the boost of adding Kane (and Quinn) ….. with all the Bills hoopla that’ll be going on in December….. the frenzy the Buffalo area would go into….

Skinner Tage Tuch
JJ Cuz Quinn
Green Mitts Kane
Girgs Krebs Ok

That’s a pretty good forward group

Reactions: Kulich Man

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

There are no words to describe how badly I want that to NEVER happen! I am not a Pegula hater like some, but that move would finally give me a reason.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
:dunno:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Buffalo native.

I don't want them to sign him. But, I would not be mad if PKane were playing over VO.

The idea that Kane cannot help Buffalo just feels ridiculous. If he's available and at the right price -- not to mention healthy and no longer a head case -- why wouldn't they sign him? He sells tickets, he creates buzz and all that is good for the franchise and winning.

Reactions: jd1970

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm not getting the Pat Kane fascination.

The Sabres two obvious areas for improvement are defensive zone play and PK. He doesn't help with either.

Buffalo native.

The idea that Kane cannot help Buffalo just feels ridiculous. If he's available and at the right price -- not to mention healthy and no longer a head case -- why wouldn't they sign him? He sells tickets, he creates buzz and all that is good for the franchise and winning.
Which Pat Kane will BUF (or any other team) get?

1696603987051.jpeg

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Baker & Fairburn on the post-CBus game pod have this as their roster guess right now:

13 F (Benson sticks and Biro, Rousek, and others go down)
7 D (Stillman is the 7th D with the usual top 6 & Clague and Bryson get waived)
3 G
That all makes sense. Biro is exempt I believe. Any worries about losing him?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Look up the history of every player who has gotten hip surfacing surgery and their play / stats afterwards. It’s ugly, no exceptions.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There are no words to describe how badly I want that to NEVER happen! I am not a Pegula hater like some, but that move would finally give me a reason.

Why would u blame Pegula? This would 100% be a KA move

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Look up the history of every player who has gotten hip surfacing surgery and their play / stats afterwards. It’s ugly, no exceptions.
The challenge there is that it has been a pretty rare procedure. And I would expect the Sabres medical team to do a thorough review of Kane's recovery from the surgery prior to signing him.

And I can understand the logic of rolling the dice and seeing if he can help them if they do not feel Benson or Savoie are ready to contribute meaningfully this season and they want to see what Kane can bring before Quinn is back.

And it's not like being better than VO at 5v5 is a super high bar to get over.

I understand the concern. But, I would trust Kevyn Adams to make the right call.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Kane helps this team. don't kid yourself. The best USA born player ever. PPG Career and PPG in playoffs. showtime.

I really think he'd fit well next to Greenway-Mitts-Kane. 3rd line minutes. high o-zone starts, cool with that

not saying throwing the bag at him he's obviously in the twilight of his career. but someone of kane caliber being at the end of their career is still really good. trade oloffson, give kane 2-3yX around 5m deal.

Don't think he's after money, guys made well over 100M already in his career

Reactions: jd1970

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Lol, after all the talk about it, sounds a lot like Donny was always going back to Skinner/Thompson/Tuch for game 1. He talked about how he's managing psychology and experimenting for other areas of chemistry during preseason, but knows that line is a sure thing.

Reason #1000098 to not take preseason games seriously. I normally skip preseason all together, but Benson making a case to be on the roster had me tuning in. Veterans aren't going 110% and coaches aren't setting lines for Ws. As Granato said, there's a lot of experimenting that goes on in the preseason.

Reactions: TheBarnIsElectric

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The challenge there is that it has been a pretty rare procedure. And I would expect the Sabres medical team to do a thorough review of Kane's recovery from the surgery prior to signing him.

And I can understand the logic of rolling the dice and seeing if he can help them if they do not feel Benson or Savoie are ready to contribute meaningfully this season and they want to see what Kane can bring before Quinn is back.

And it's not like being better than VO at 5v5 is a super high bar to get over.
I don’t disagree at all in terms of being a VO replacement. Like I said if he comes cheap, I’d be fine with it. Olofsson has been bad bad bad.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille