GDT: Sabres @ Penguins 9/28/2019 4:00pm

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Watch the game and he was rather pedestrian after the first. I wish that wasn't a thing with him but he tails off.

lol ya posted that after first period highlights, not much from him after that. Hopefully Krueger sorts him out. Last year he showed flashes, this year he does it a period at a time- if he does it for a full game we have something. That release is disgusting, though- even if he isn't consistent he could score 15-20 off the shot alone. Shootout.. man, the puck flies for him.

Ullmark looked really solid outside of 1 weak goal that I actually kinda understand- surprise shot and he just wasn't set. One of those saves in the third, though- high shot, off the shoulder, and he knew right where it would go. Landed on a Pens stick and Ullmark already had the pad out to rob him, just amazing anticipation and predictive positioning. Goalie is the biggest issue imo, so if Ullmark can prove himself a reasonable starter I'm psyched.

Anyone have any notes on Lazar and Joker?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Just finished watching the game........ Thought Gilmour and Miller were very strong. Joker was disappointing. Seems slow. Not able to contain his man a lot. I dunno... not convinced he's NHL ready. Nelson is done.

If any one of Jack, VO, Skins, Sam were playing tonight the game would have been won in the 3rd period. Our power play was pretty pedestrian. 38 shots on goal but we helped make Murray look solid. Understand that we were looking at the 4th in depth level power play tonight.

Mitts needs to get stronger. Suggest he study Bryan Trottier films and videos. Great snipe on the OT goal however.

This will probably outrage some but I though Sobatka looked pretty good today. Seems to be skating with a lot more intensity (well anything above zero IS an improvement! LoL!)

Yeah, he took that penalty but just 4 months ago, that was a no call play in any Stanley Cup game.

Rochester bound: Remi. Asplund, Lazar (probably). I think ERod is in trouble.

KO should not be on this team. He is in no way shape or form a force on the ice. But we all know that ain't happening....

One of Ullmark's saves in the shoot out was almost Hasek-lite. (Guntzel?)

I think the Sabres are going to sneak up on some teams this season....

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
Don't think I've ever seen girgs score a goal like that b4

Girgensons actually used to do flashy dekes all the time and had some sick goals in his first couple seasons in the NHL before he was ruined by coaches and molded into a 4th liner, as well as being forced to play in an allstar game he wanted no part of during his 60 game 15g-15a season.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Member when Girgnsns scored a legit goals like this? Well that was longlong time ago.

I'm probably vastly overrating his influence, but I wonder if Krueger has given him some confidence- tell him he's a skilled guy, don't lose the grinding but remember that you have the ability to put up points. Or just a nice goal, but overall guys seem to look better under him.. but it's also preseason, so we'll see.

Erod is the only guy who looks a little off to me, hopefully he turns it around.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Liked Gilmour and Giraffe and Ullmark.

Ralph looked like he was sending the guys out that weren't going to be on the team out first for shootout. Hope that is right for Okposo and wrong for Gilmour.
Krueger in the post-game said shoot-out was special teams and Bales was calling the shooters there.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Paxon

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
So I really enjoyed Asplund today, kid is a gamer, smart all around player.He should make team but won't because of the dead weight still here.I would really like to hear from you guys who you would take if you had to pick one..Okposo , Sobotka or Sheary? I would also like to know reason as well.For me and it pains me to say it but I would take Sobotka because he can play C or wing and kill penalties.For the record do not like any of them lol

If it were up to me, I'd take Sheary. Of those choices you gave, I believe he has the most finish in his game over the other two. That's not saying much, but for 2 on 1's, I'd rather have him be the recipient of the puck. I also think he is the fastest as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If it were up to me, I'd take Sheary. Of those choices you gave, I believe he has the most finish in his game over the other two. That's not saying much, but for 2 on 1's, I'd rather have him be the recipient of the puck. I also think he is the fastest as well.

It seems like he would have the highest potential trade value since he seems like the only useful player of those three as of the end of last season.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
It seems like he would have the highest potential trade value since he seems like the only useful player of those three as of the end of last season.

Agreed, but what do you think he'd garner us? A 4th rounder? A 3rd if we're lucky?

Of course, something it better than nothing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed, but what do you think he'd garner us? A 4th rounder? A 3rd if we're lucky?

Of course, something it better than nothing.

After how he flamed out last season with the slanted deployment of the gods? Probably a 4th right now, but possibly more later in the year with his expiring contract and playoff experience if he plays better this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad