TBN: Sabres not expected to offer any buyouts

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
But! Aggressively sending down Bogo, Poms, Beaulieu to the AHL if they aren’t good enough during camp might have a bigger impact than just buying them out. I’m not thinking about the shock value here rather the fact that we would give roster spots to players based on actual competence instead of pedigree.
Beaulieu, yeah probably. He was actively sabotaging most games he played in. If the organization has any sense, he should be at worst a healthy scratch most of the year... at best Botts should wrestle him to the ground himself and drag him to the waiver wire.

I don't feel like Bogo, when he played, was quite that bad. His injury history was always his greatest downside and if he were by some miracle over that, he could still be an adequate bottom 4 guy this year. EDIT: Not that I actually believe he is over his injuries and I think they'd be silly to bank on him (fool me once, twice, three times, four times, etc)... but in either case, he's in the NHL or on IR. IMO.

And Pominville may not fit the mold we're trying to build but again, he's not so disgustingly bad that we need to make an example of him in his last year (possibly before retirement).

If they are suddenly disgustingly bad in camp, then maybe the tune changes there. I'd expect them both to be servicable in their respective (hopefully) bottom 4 D/13th forward roles.

EDIT: Also, if you can trade any of them, you do it without hesitation. But that's a given.

Last edited:

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The Sabres need to find a 1/2 pairing LD so that Bogo could be our #3 RD. Im fine with him there playing limited minutes because he is still servicable (and overpaid yes). You can roll Risto/Dahlin/Bogo down the right side and without a move you have Scandella/Guhle/McCabe on the left

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I find it interesting that people think our buyout candidates need to be bought out as a "culture shakeup". Who do you think has a bigger effect on the room? The guy who was injured 3/4's of the year? The healthy scratch D? The Sabres alum that most current Sabres probably hadn't heard of until this year? All guys hardly impacting the bottom line on this team because they either aren't playing or play in limited roles.

Waiving Moulson was a big deal because he'd been around for a few years, housed Eichel, etc. One year of Pominville quietly up and down the lineup isn't going to have that effect on anyone (it'd actually probably effect the fans more). No one cares about Beaulieu. Bogosian maybe since he's close with other guys on the team, but his impact on the ice is felt about as much as the unused refrigerator in my basement.

Buy them out if there's specific "we need this space for X player" moves to make and we don't have the cap, and I don't see X being the Tavares or Karlsson big money pickups we make IMO. If cap issues never really come up, it makes sense to let sleeping dogs lie. Everyone but Bogosian is off the books after this year, and he's done after next anyways.
meanwhile there’s an empty fridge taking up room in your basement ...

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Considering where the Sabres are as an organization I'm ok with no buyouts this year. With the contracts/terms that we have buyouts don't make much sense. The "point" of a buyout is to save cap short term at the cost of increased cap long term. This would typically be used by a team that wants to win now (cup contender). The Sabres are not even close to being cup contenders next year, and I would be surprised if we even make the playoffs.

Next season will be about improving/developing and deciding if we need to move on from Housley.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad