TBN: Sabres not expected to offer any buyouts

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
"I think it's smart to keep money off the books, so that we'll have cap space further in the future.... for all the free agents that won't want to come here"

:facepalm:

I certainly agree with you that there was some low hanging fruit for buyouts (Beaulieau, Pominville), but....with the cap at 80M, doubt there is much we were going to do that buyouts would make room for.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I certainly agree with you that there was some low hanging fruit for buyouts (Beaulieau, Pominville), but....with the cap at 80M, doubt there is much we were going to do that buyouts would make room for.

It would've allowed us to do more of what we need to do, and to be more aggressive in what we need to do.... at a cost of.... relatively nothing.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It would've allowed us to do more of what we need to do, and to be more aggressive in what we need to do.... at a cost of.... relatively nothing.

The irony of claiming UFAs have no cost while complaining in a buyout thread. Lolol

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Oh, because in 2-3 years we won't need good depth players?
I don't like pushing money into the future when I don't have to.

I also want to avoid free agency unless it's 1-2 year deals. We've been burned lately.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't like pushing money into the future when I don't have to.

I also want to avoid free agency unless it's 1-2 year deals. We've been burned lately.

One stupid Kyle Okposo contract shouldn't define our approach to Free Agency.

Brian Boyle / 2 yrs / 2.75 per.... did New Jersey regret that signing?

Why is this treated as some crazy impossible approach to free agency?

If we had offered Brian Boyle 2 yrs / 3.5 per... do you think he would've signed here? Was a bottom feeder team in Newark f***ing New Jersey have that much of an advantage over us???
(their only advantage is having a significantly better GM).

There's this foolish notion that EVERYONE is getting 4+ year deals in free agency... it's nonsense... it's been shown to be nonsense.

Excusing Botts poor approach to another offseason because we give him the built in excuse that the baseline competencies of the offseason are beyond the fair expectations of him is nutso.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
One stupid Kyle Okposo contract shouldn't define our approach to Free Agency.

Brian Boyle / 2 yrs / 2.75 per.... did New Jersey regret that signing?

Why is this treated as some crazy impossible approach to free agency?

If we had offered Brian Boyle 2 yrs / 3.5 per... do you think he would've signed here? Was a bottom feeder team in Newark ****ing New Jersey have that much of an advantage over us???
(their only advantage is having a significantly better GM).

There's this foolish notion that EVERYONE is getting 4+ year deals in free agency... it's nonsense... it's been shown to be nonsense.

Excusing Botts poor approach to another offseason because we give him the built in excuse that the baseline competencies of the offseason are beyond the fair expectations of him is nutso.

iu

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I do wonder if the Pegula’s are sensitive to the optics of buying out a player with the Sabres history of Pominville. I certainly don’t agree with that but it wouldn’t be shocking.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I can understand not buying Moulson out if he's pre-ordained as a buried castaway.

Pominville on the other hand.... Unless he's had a rocket surgically inserted into his derriere, it seems like a mistake just to keep all of 1.6 M off the cap next year.

Minus a miracle of speed skating training, he needs to be buried as well without a buyout.

Bogo & Beaulieu, I can't say I really expected to be bought out, though I'll be interested to hear if Bogo's actually healthy enough.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I can understand not buying Moulson out if he's pre-ordained as a buried castaway.

Pominville on the other hand.... Unless he's had a rocket surgically inserted into his derriere, it seems like a mistake just to keep all of 1.6 M off the cap next year.

Minus a miracle of speed skating training, he needs to be buried as well without a buyout.

Bogo & Beaulieu, I can't say I really expected to be bought out, though I'll be interested to hear if Bogo's actually healthy enough.

Agreed. No reason to buy Moulson out as the buried savings aren’t much less than the buyout savings.

Agreed. Buying Bogo out would be the toughest to swallow and least beneficial given the current roster.

Agreed. Buying Poms our is a god damned no brainer.

The only reason not to buy out Beaulieu is because you are confident you can trade him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You don't buy anybody out unless you are a cup contender that is pushed up against the cap. The Sabres are neither, so how could this possibly surprise anybody?

Why do these “fake news” narratives survive...

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
The only reason not to buy out Beaulieu is because you are confident you can trade him.

Yeah I would think he still has some value as a 6/7. I just lean to not buying him out because he is a player Botts traded for and signed, so I'm just assuming he gets the extra rope.

Not the best reason, but Botts hasn't shown anything resembling aggressiveness so I'm assuming he's going long on everything. Uninspiring so far.

We'll see what FA brings.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah I would think he still has some value as a 6/7. I just lean to not buying him out because he is a player Botts traded for and signed, so I'm just assuming he gets the extra rope.

Not the best reason, but Botts hasn't shown anything resembling aggressiveness so I'm assuming he's going long on everything. Uninspiring so far.

We'll see what FA brings.

Your #6/7 is going to play a lot of hockey... why would any competent GM want Beaulieu playing a lot of hockey? I mean... if winning is actually important to said GM

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
I don't disagree, just going on how I think Botts is looking at it. Beaulieu shouldn't have been playing anywhere as much as he did.

Edit - yes I didn't word it clearly but my "lean to not buying him out" was what I figure Botts is thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad