TBN: Sabres not expected to offer any buyouts

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Disappointing if true.
Bogosian gets another shot, if he can stay healthy. If he isn’t healthy, he goes on IR and they save that way.

Pominville competes with the young guys, but likely is our 13th forward. If he’s that bad, they can bury him. He doesn’t hurt the room.

Beaulieu is either the 7th defenseman or traded or clears waivers and goes to Rochester.

Larsson and Girgensons still have a bit of value so no need for any buyouts there.

This makes sense, don’t carry dead weight into the future.
It’s CHEAPER for BUF to buyout Beaulieu and find a bona fide AHL/NHL tweener than to pay him this season. His young age means a cheaper buyout per CBA.

Makes sense. We can go over cap in the offseason so if we did land a big fish FA we could use a buyout after the fact. No need to use them if we aren’t gonna be over cap though
only if the 2nd buyout window is triggered after arbitration. No guarantee of that.

Imagine if we still had Ennis turning the puck over every touch. Or this last season without Scandella? Geesh

It’s the right move. I’m glad the GM is being smart. If he can keep Moulson away from Rochester and not give us a cap penalty during important future years- I’m confident he can manage the other bad contracts.
first paragraph: I have no idea what relevance that has to buyouts.

2nd pp: that’s a very very low bar.

Really hope not buying out Beaulieu is because they have a deal for him, because he’s less than useless.
it’s the only logical alternative. Though I fear botts is not being logical.

This is a dumb question but can you waive a player with a NMC.
no. That’s why they are NMC’s
You can’t buy out a NMC?
you can, that’s not the same as waiving them.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pommers going on buyout saves 3.33M this year, costs us 1.66M next year. I don't think we can assign him to rochester (without his consent) due to his NMC.

Beaulieu buyout saves us 2.083M this year, costs 416k next year. Beaulieu in rochester saves us 1.025M this year and costs nothing next year. I actually do think there is a chance someone picks up his contract if he hits waivers or perhaps a deal with retained salary for a depth d-man after the period is over. A buyout is probably the "cleanest" but there is a chance we can get out of his contract for the cost of 0.

I'm very curious if Moulson doesn't simply take the signing bonus and retire on 7/2. We did him a solid last year by loaning him to Ontario (LA's farm team in CA) rather than forcing him to go to Rochester. Sure it's still 2M....but after agent fees and taxes I doubt that is much over 1M left. Is that worth it to him?

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Disappointing if true.
It’s CHEAPER for BUF to buyout Beaulieu and find a bona fide AHL/NHL tweener than to pay him this season. His young age means a cheaper buyout per CBA.

only if the 2nd buyout window is triggered after arbitration. No guarantee of that.

first paragraph: I have no idea what relevance that has to buyouts.

2nd pp: that’s a very very low bar.

it’s the only logical alternative. Though I fear botts is not being logical.

no. That’s why they are NMC’s
you can, that’s not the same as waiving them.

Yea, I was at the bar....

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Pommers going on buyout saves 3.33M this year, costs us 1.66M next year. I don't think we can assign him to rochester (without his consent) due to his NMC.

Beaulieu buyout saves us 2.083M this year, costs 416k next year. Beaulieu in rochester saves us 1.025M this year and costs nothing next year. I actually do think there is a chance someone picks up his contract if he hits waivers or perhaps a deal with retained salary for a depth d-man after the period is over. A buyout is probably the "cleanest" but there is a chance we can get out of his contract for the cost of 0.

I'm very curious if Moulson doesn't simply take the signing bonus and retire on 7/2. We did him a solid last year by loaning him to Ontario (LA's farm team in CA) rather than forcing him to go to Rochester. Sure it's still 2M....but after agent fees and taxes I doubt that is much over 1M left. Is that worth it to him?

Having accepted a trade to Buffalo, isn't his NMC voided?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
iraqiinformationminister.jpg
In which hole is success hiding in?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
From a financial stand point it makes sense to not buy out anyone.
From a changing the culture to a winning one not at all.
Unless he buries them somewhere and doesnt dress them I am fine with it.
But if they are on the ice instead of younger more capeable players which will probably happen..not so much.
A aging slow player is dragging everyone down he plays with.
Can't backcheck, just a srationary pylon on a 2nd PP unit.
These are all implications not just the $.
Rather have a 1mill cap hit for one more season than dressing players who can't contribute in a system the team is supposed to play dragging everyone down in the process.
Guess Eichel can fasten his seatbelts for another 60-70 points seasons because its usally him who has to drag this pylons around..
I rather have him built chemistry with some younger guys..
You gain a year of cap $$$ but you probably hurt the development of some of your players.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
People wanted to buy out Gorges before last season and now we're free and clear - and I don't think his presence on the team had any real affect positively or negatively.

Moulson isn't getting near the team next year and Pomms might as well be Gorges 2.0 with his treatment if he can't cut it - or even Moulson 2.0 if it's worse. But either way starting in 2019 we are free and clear of them as well.
Unless in vacuum every presence has an effect.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Well Botts always was slated as a "cap guru". Seems like his priorities are in line with that description.

I wouldn't be surprised if one player ends up bought out regardless, just for the sake of a culture shakeup.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I find it interesting that people think our buyout candidates need to be bought out as a "culture shakeup". Who do you think has a bigger effect on the room? The guy who was injured 3/4's of the year? The healthy scratch D? The Sabres alum that most current Sabres probably hadn't heard of until this year? All guys hardly impacting the bottom line on this team because they either aren't playing or play in limited roles.

Waiving Moulson was a big deal because he'd been around for a few years, housed Eichel, etc. One year of Pominville quietly up and down the lineup isn't going to have that effect on anyone (it'd actually probably effect the fans more). No one cares about Beaulieu. Bogosian maybe since he's close with other guys on the team, but his impact on the ice is felt about as much as the unused refrigerator in my basement.

Buy them out if there's specific "we need this space for X player" moves to make and we don't have the cap, and I don't see X being the Tavares or Karlsson big money pickups we make IMO. If cap issues never really come up, it makes sense to let sleeping dogs lie. Everyone but Bogosian is off the books after this year, and he's done after next anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Guys that are f***ing horrible, but get gifted spots instead of being gone.

That pisses people off that have to play much more and have to play with anchors that keep draging the ship down they work to get right. They let the team down way more than the core that people hate on.

Reactions: Rasmi

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Of our big buyout candidates, who was gifted a spot? Moulson was waived and loaned out of the organization, Beaulieu was a healthy scratch, Bogosian was injured and barely played.

Pominville. That's about it. The big culture change is to send Sabres alum and by all accounts good locker room guy Jason Pominville packing with one year left on his deal because the fans think players can't stand to look at his mug anymore.

EDIT: I think the only player still on this team who can look at himself and say "I did fine last year, it's [insert buyout candidate]'s fault the team sucked" is Eichel (not that its a good attitude to have). If Reinhart or ROR or Risto are honestly sitting there stewing that Jason Pominville played in the top 6 for a couple weeks last year... like the fans apparently are... they need to go. Maybe spend less time worrying about where Pominville is playing and more time worrying about why no one but Eichel and Kane showed up the first half of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Guys that are ****ing horrible, but get gifted spots instead of being gone.

That pisses people off that have to play much more and have to play with anchors that keep draging the ship down they work to get right. They let the team down way more than the core that people hate on.

Our GM had no issue burying Moulson on an opposite coast. He’s already signed enough defenseman that there is going to be competition even for AHL spots. What makes you think this is going to be the case? He signed players to make sure Baptiste/Bailey/Fasching never were gifted a spot.

Only tricky one is Pominville because of his NMC. But one forward on healthy scratch isn’t a big deal, especially given who it is. Gorges barely played at all last year and honestly looked serviceable when he was. Pominville playing 40 games may not be a slow liability as Pominville playing 82 games might be. And he would push whatever rookie is there every single night to keep up.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I find it interesting that people think our buyout candidates need to be bought out as a "culture shakeup". Who do you think has a bigger effect on the room? The guy who was injured 3/4's of the year? The healthy scratch D? The Sabres alum that most current Sabres probably hadn't heard of until this year? All guys hardly impacting the bottom line on this team because they either aren't playing or play in limited roles. Etc
Yeah, I came around and accepted this as well. Still annoying that we pay real money and get nothing back. Rewarding people for nothing is never a good idea.

But! Aggressively sending down Bogo, Poms, Beaulieu to the AHL if they aren’t good enough during camp might have a bigger impact than just buying them out. I’m not thinking about the shock value here rather the fact that we would give roster spots to players based on actual competence instead of pedigree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad