TBN: Sabres not expected to offer any buyouts

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Based on his quotes, doesn't seem he wants to have an unnecessary cap situation, which tells me, there's probably a large chance he's not willing to retain some salary on top of some cap to get rid of some bodies to make room for improvement on the bottom 6 or on our defense.
I don't really see how that follows. I think the idea to no buy-outs is to not create new dead cap hits down the road. With salary retention, there's nothing new added. There's no new cap hit added down the line. Even with taking cap back, retention (especially for guys on expiring deals) has no effect whatsoever on future cap hits down the road (outside of possible bonus overages, but let's ignore that for now).

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
People wanted to buy out Gorges before last season and now we're free and clear - and I don't think his presence on the team had any real affect positively or negatively.

Moulson isn't getting near the team next year and Pomms might as well be Gorges 2.0 with his treatment if he can't cut it - or even Moulson 2.0 if it's worse. But either way starting in 2019 we are free and clear of them as well.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Based on his quotes, doesn't seem he wants to have an unnecessary cap situation, which tells me, there's probably a large chance he's not willing to retain some salary on top of some cap to get rid of some bodies to make room for improvement on the bottom 6 or on our defense.

For example, let's say someone wants Pommers or a guy like Bogo, and they are willing to give us a draft pick or a decent player but we need to retain some salary. We would get rid of Pommers or Bogo, but have some of their cap hit, so now we can either make room for another guy via free agency or through a call up.

It probably is the conservative thing to do. I kind of wished he would be more progressive in fixing what is wrong with the roster. That's why at the moment this is lowering of my expectations on the season. Not necessarily on the standings or how well the team does, but what I expected out of Botts.
Cap on retaining salary only stays until the end of the contract right? So they could retain on Pominville, Moulson, and Beaulieu without hurting future cap. Correct me if I'm wrong.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Botterill said there will likely be no buyouts this season

PAUL HAMILTON

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - The NHL’s buyout period open on Friday right after midnight, but don’t expect the Sabres to be part of it. Jason Botterill told me, “I don’t see us having any buyouts this year, obviously things could always change over the next little bit here, but from our standpoint, just the way some of our contracts are structured we don’t want to have cap hits beyond this year, so we see it being more beneficial to ride the year out and go from there.”

We got into some other topics including Thursday’s trade of Hudson Fasching to Arizona for the rights to BU defenseman Brandon Hickey and unrestricted free agent Mike Sislo. Fasching, who is a restricted free agent ended the season in Rochester being a healthy scratch and Botterill said, “We would’ve been qualifying him, but with players like Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, bring in Danny O’Regan, bringing in Andrew Oglevie, we felt we had an abundance at right wing and we’ve looked to try to bring in more defensemen and continue to work with them.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Imagine if we still had Ennis turning the puck over every touch. Or this last season without Scandella? Geesh

It’s the right move. I’m glad the GM is being smart. If he can keep Moulson away from Rochester and not give us a cap penalty during important future years- I’m confident he can manage the other bad contracts.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
How any can think this is not the right move to stand pat and not buy anyone is mind blowing to me. Why anyone would want to add more years to Moulson or pommers contract of dead cap space is crazy to me.

Some people are more committed to winning NOW, than the value of a few million in dead cap space in 2019-20...

Others come from a cap management background, and have no clue what they are doing in their current position.

I'm starting to see the outline of my greatest fear... the 2018-19 Sabres... they are going to be the 2017-18 Sabres -ROR, + Dahlin.... depressing.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Some people are more committed to winning NOW, than the value of a few million in dead cap space in 2019-20...

Others come from a cap management background, and have no clue what they are doing in their current position.

I'm starting to see the outline of my greatest fear... the 2018-19 Sabres... they are going to be the 2017-18 Sabres -ROR, + Dahlin.... depressing.
Winning now? How?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
By acquiring depth to support the core...

Winning NOW, to me is putting a quality team on the ice.... it doesn't mean 96 points.

It means not hanging your core out to dry by dressing nearly half a roster of scrubs
I understand that, but how? It's not like we have tons of cap. Players aren't coming here on cheap short-term deals to win.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
To be honest, I'm fine with this, they are keeping money off the books long term, and we'll have 11M off next year. Heading into next season if we can get rid of Bogosian or find a sucker to take him this year, it works out fine. At the same time, I'm okay with them being rid of them too lol

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I understand that, but how? It's not like we have tons of cap. Players aren't coming here on cheap short-term deals to win.

I've documented a thousand versions of "how" in the roster speculation thread.

It includes buying out the dead weight, and using the created cap space/overpaying to lure mid tier free agents here.

People keep making the excuse in advance for Botts... that we won't be able to sign mid-tier free agents.... Brian Boyle signed with a bottom 5 team... for 2 yrs / 2.75 per... this is a guy who barely made 10 million in the last 10 years.... money talks.

Greg Pateryn has made less than 5 million in his career.... he's 27 years old, and this may be his only crack at a pay day.... You think teams around the league are going to be banging down his door to offer 4-5 million per year?

There are opportunities in free agency, and ability to create cap space would've increased those opportunities.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
"I think it's smart to keep money off the books, so that we'll have cap space further in the future.... for all the free agents that won't want to come here"

:facepalm:

Reactions: sabrebuild

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Buying out Pominville creates 1.666 million in dead cap space in 2019-20 (While creating 3.333 in cap space this year).

Since... signing quality Free Agents isn't something we apparently shouldn't expect of Botts.... what the f*** are we worried about a measly 1.666 in dead cap for???? Here's the list of RFAs we have in 2019-20
Girgensons
Larsson
McCabe
Beaulieu

Hardly.... anything to get worked up about...

Buying out Poms is 100% a no brainer move. He CAN'T play the system, He's a waste of cap space. He failed as a leader. What the f*** Botts....

Reactions: Gabrielor

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Botterill is doing the right thing IMO. He doesn't need that cap room right now. 2-3 years down the road road he will. Another reason why O'Reilly gets moved for younger pieces. This will take some time.

Funny... since buying out Pominville has zero affect on "2-3 years down the road"

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
You guys poked the bear. He’s identified “thousands” of players now who will not follow history and sign here cheap, and do ya the favor of that coming with a smaller than normal term for players their age. La ti da ti deeee

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You guys poked the bear. He’s identified “thousands” of players now who will not follow history and sign here cheap, and do ya the favor of that coming with a smaller than normal term for players their age. La ti da ti deeee

Boyle 2 yrs /2.75 per / New Jersey

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad