Value of: Sabres need an NHL-calibre goalie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe a lesser deal?

Adin Hill + Blake Speers for Jonas Johansson + Rasmus Asplund

As much as I'd love Hutton to be off this roster, there's too much risk there for me to think the Sabres would waive him to the taxi squad. Hill might have the goods, but he's an unknown quantity. The Sabres need someone who can reliably be at least average.

Right now, the team is 2nd in the NHL in xG% and 3rd in HDCF%, but we're sitting 6 games in with 1 regulation win largely because of goaltending. (Also doesn't help that Eichel and Skinner are shooting at 0% thus far and Hall is shooting at <6%, but those numbers will normalize on their own.)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Other than a goaltender, what does Buffalo need?

Kahkonen + Dumba for Mittelstadt + 1st?

Just to be clear to Buffalo fans, this isn't a deal that's actually on the table in any way whatsoever.

SB716

Jun 1, 2015
Just to be clear to Buffalo fans, this isn't a deal that's actually on the table in any way whatsoever.

whoa wait, you sure? Someone call Kevyn and tell him never mind deal wasn’t real. Shucks

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Other than a goaltender, what does Buffalo need?

Kahkonen + Dumba for Mittelstadt + 1st?

Wild aren't trading Kaapo Kahkonen, much less expose him . Casey middlestat isn't good.

This is beyond terrible for wild. Kahkonen is untouchable for wild. Wild aren't trading dumba for Casey middlestat

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Let's just get Kuemper. Need something big to happen to this mess.

Darcy Kuemper should be the target

I proposed Kuemper to Carolina for Reimer, Drury and a 2nd in November and there was some board agreement to something like Reimer, Bokk and a conditional 2nd. If the Coyotes get serious about moving Kuemper at the deadline, that's the type of deal I would expect it would take. And I expect they wait until the trade deadline.

What does Buffalo offer that's competitive and can they wait until the deadline to make a goaltending move?

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I proposed Kuemper to Carolina for Reimer, Drury and a 2nd in November and there was some board agreement to something like Reimer, Bokk and a conditional 2nd. If the Coyotes get serious about moving Kuemper at the deadline, that's the type of deal I would expect it would take. And I expect they wait until the trade deadline.

What does Buffalo offer that's competitive and can they wait until the deadline to make a goaltending move?

Deadline is too late for our goalie situation. The season would be moot at that point with this pair of clowns in the net.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Hutton + Thompson + 1st (top 5 protected) Right now!

Reactions: Diaspora

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If we assume that Buffalo is not on his no-trade list, would Buffalo be willing to give a 4th round pick for Dubnyk?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Hutton + Thompson + 1st (top 5 protected) Right now!

Uh, that's terrible value.

Goalies don't go for anything close to that and I'm certainly not on board with trading a first for a goalie who's a UFA a year from now, let alone a first that, until proven otherwise, looks assured to be a top-10 pick

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018

Goalies don't go for anything close to that and I'm certainly not on board with trading a first for a goalie who's a UFA a year from now, let alone a first that, until proven otherwise, looks assured to be a top-10 pick

I'd do a first in 2022 without reservation though.

This joke of goaltending situation has gone on way too long.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I am already desperate, we need to strengthen this position. Playoff or rebuild bust!

explore

Jun 28, 2011
I'd do a first in 2022 without reservation though.

This joke of goaltending situation has gone on way too long.

An unprotected first in 2022 is even worse given there's going to be a lot of changes in personnel which could lead to a brand new team collapse (Montour, Miller, Hall, Ulmark, Hutton, etc. are all UFAs)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
An unprotected first in 2022 is even worse given there's going to be a lot of changes in personnel which could lead to a brand new team collapse (Montour, Miller, Hall, Ulmark, Hutton, etc. are all UFAs)
Your suggestions?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
For starters, don't trade a first for a goalie. Second, my view is that Raanta and MAF are the best options available because targeting the odd-man-out in teams with two capable goalies is the most realistic and cost-effective option
I have no idea how much MAF is currently available and how we can pull this deal to make everything work, Adams apparently doesn't know either. It bothers me that Raanta is often injured, then we cannot trade Hutton and must leave him in the taxi-squad in case Raanta is injured again. I don’t mind trading the first round, maybe for an attacker, I don’t know, but we have to get into the playoffs this season, otherwise Hall and Jack might leave.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
I have no idea how much MAF is currently available and how we can pull this deal to make everything work, Adams apparently doesn't know either. It bothers me that Raanta is often injured, then we cannot trade Hutton and must leave him in the taxi-squad in case Raanta is injured again. I don’t mind trading the first round, maybe for an attacker, I don’t know, but we have to get into the playoffs this season, otherwise Hall and Jack might leave.

You don't have to look far to see that trading a poorly protected first early in the season often ends terribly for the team trading the first.

Look at San Jose (trading first for Karlsson trade--2020 #3 overall, Tim Stutzle), Ottawa (trading first for Duchene--2019 #4 overall, Bown Byram), Toronto (Phil Kessel trade--#2 and #9 overall, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton) and in all of these cases the team trading for the key player ended up performing poorly

The only time one of those types of trades worked out for the team trading for the key player is the ROR trade and that's because Jason Botterill was so generous, he would only accept St. Louis' worst, most overpaid players in the trade.

What your suggesting is making a trade due to panic, which is a terrible position to make a trade from

Last edited:
Reactions: Weltschmerz

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You don't have to look far to see that trading a poorly protected first early in the season often ends terribly for the team trading the first.

Look at San Jose (trading first for Karlsson trade--2020 #3 overall, Tim Stutzle), Ottawa (trading first for Duchene--2019 #4 overall, Bown Byram), Toronto (Phil Kessel trade--#2 and #9 overall, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton) and in all of these cases the team trading for the key player ended up performing poorly

The only time one of those types of trades worked out for the team trading for the key player is the ROR trade and that's because Jason Botterill was so generous, he would only accept St. Louis' worst, most overpaid players in the trade.

What your suggesting is making a trade due to panic, which is a terrible position to make a trade from
Not out of panic, but we need reinforcement. Kuemper seems to be a great goalie and has two more seasons on his contract. We can also change top 5 protected to top 10. I am not against Fleury or Raanta, but in this case, every trade has its drawbacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad