Value of: Sabres need an NHL-calibre goalie

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Quick has been pretty bad, and he's signed for two more years after this one. I think Buffalo would be very hesitant for those two reasons alone. Plus he has a $5.8 mm average until 2023, so to make the cap work LA would need to take someone like Okposo who makes $6 mm average until 2023.

I also think Quick would be pretty upset at being shipped from sunny LA to wintery Buffalo, but he doesn't seem to have a NMC so I guess there's nothing he can do about it

Quick has been very good for 12 months now. He struggled at the beginning of last year but has put up really good numbers since. Off to a good start this year too. His cap hit is not too steep at all. Buffalo could (and is) do a lot worse

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Arizona and Raanta makes the most sense. The coyotes are desperate for picks and I think Raanta is a legit #1 when healthy. He has just struggled to stay healthy.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think Arizona and Raanta makes the most sense. The coyotes are desperate for picks and I think Raanta is a legit #1 when healthy. He has just struggled to stay healthy.

I'm not so sure that's true, and certainly won't be a concern until the trade deadline. The entry draft this year will be even more of a crapshoot without as much junior hockey to scout. Arizona already recouped a 2nd in the Stepan trade, so they're not short of picks, they'll just be a bit later.

They're hoping to stay competitive. But if they're out of the playoffs or their prospects show well, they can do max retention at the deadline and move a couple of Goligoski, Demers, and Raanta. Those guys will probably return 2nd - 4th round picks. They also have an open slot on defense for the expansion draft and some flexibility at forward. They're probably more interested in a strong offer that includes a prospect, maybe from a team that's going to have to expose someone in expansion.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm not so sure that's true, and certainly won't be a concern until the trade deadline. The entry draft this year will be even more of a crapshoot without as much junior hockey to scout. Arizona already recouped a 2nd in the Stepan trade, so they're not short of picks, they'll just be a bit later.

They're hoping to stay competitive. But if they're out of the playoffs or their prospects show well, they can do max retention at the deadline and move a couple of Goligoski, Demers, and Raanta. Those guys will probably return 2nd - 4th round picks. They also have an open slot on defense for the expansion draft and some flexibility at forward. They're probably more interested in a strong offer that includes a prospect, maybe from a team that's going to have to expose someone in expansion.

you're right, not near as dire as I thought pick wise

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
that didn't take long

He certainly hasn't looked great, but the defense in front of him has been atrocious. The trade and signing was a gamble for the Senators, and it doesn't look like its paying off yet.

Still super early though, so who knows. That whole team is a train wreck right now except for Nick Paul lol

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Put John Gibson on the Sabres today. Are they 100% a playoff team?

If you really believe yes, ok, go for it.

If you hesitated, then what are you doing? Suck again, miss the playoffs, have a shot at the lottery. Trade Staal and Hall at the deadline. Build the right way instead of rushing it before Eichel walks.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Allen for Ullmark and a 2nd?

Allen is paid 4M this year, but has already signed a 2 years / 2.8M AAV after that. Upgrade on Ullmark for cheap, and you'll pay him cheap for years to come.

Ullmark is paid 2M. We got 2M out of the mass. He finishes the year with the Habs, then GTFO and we play Primeau. And we take yet another cool 2nd pick.

Allen isn't an upgrade, and I'd rather just use Ullmark over Allen, and giving up a second. We're looking for a QUALITY starter.

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Other than a goaltender, what does Buffalo need?

Kahkonen + Dumba for Mittelstadt + 1st?

This is interesting, but I don't see any insight that Kahkonen is better than Ullmark. In addition, I really like Dumba, but Buffalo has too many right handed defensemen as is. So Pass otherwise.

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

At this point there is no reason to give up anything for a pending UFA who is injured as we speak. No thanks.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Allen isn't an upgrade, and I'd rather just use Ullmark over Allen, and giving up a second. We're looking for a QUALITY starter.

Can't help with that then.
For multiple reasons, Price can't be traded, so... Yeah.

Still, good luck for this year, I'm kinda rooting for your team

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

No joke. Allen is an upgrade? Based on what? And we give up a second in draft where no one knows difference between a 35-50 pick and 15-35 because there has been no junior hockey.

And let's not even mention Ullmark is lights out in shootouts which elevates him.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
No joke. Allen is an upgrade? Based on what? And we give up a second in draft where no one knows difference between a 35-50 pick and 15-35 because there has been no junior hockey.

And let's not even mention Ullmark is lights out in shootouts which elevates him.

I think at this point it's Kuemper or bust.

I don't see how this team can get past the division opponents this season, especially with this goaltending tandem. And if this season is down the drain, it's almost waiving a white flag with the current core. We cannot even get it done with someone like Hall getting on board. It would be Edmonton circa 2010 again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad