Sabres Name Terry Pegula Team President

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Makes no financial sense. Makes me wonder if he is selling all or part of Sabres

If they are together, can't the Sabres losses count against Bills profits.
I am not an accounting expert, but a business can be cash-flow positive yet operate at a loss from a P&L standpoint if the depreciation expense is significant.

Given the new Bills stadium construction and how the costs are both born, and amortized, The Bills expenses may be significant enough that they do not make a profit in some/all of the next several years.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think this is right. I bet he wants to sell a minority stake to someone who wants to be more hands on. I can’t imagine he’s enjoyed much of his 12 year ownership.
He actually seems to be enjoying it more these days -- the guy doesn't even miss prospect interviews, which is more hands-on than most owners. He seems to really like getting his hands dirty.

He's a competitive guy so the failures may cause him to want to be more involved, as opposed to less involved. The evidence is there that he's more excited than ever.

That said, I totally agree that he's planning on selling off a share of the team in the not-so-distant future.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He broke the curse with the Bills and made them relevant again and a perennial Super Bowl contender with Josh Allen and Brandon Beane and what Sean McDermott as head coach .

The Bills success is why I haven’t given up on our Sabres and here’s to hoping soon we can be a consistent Stanley Cup contender with the young talent and Adam’s running the show

On the flip-side, he also kicked off the worst era of hockey in Sabres history and perhaps the worst for a professional franchise in this city's history. Appreciate what he did with the Bills but the past decade for the Sabres has been more embarrassing than the drought for the Bills and a big reason is his inability to stay out of his own way.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
On the flip-side, he also kicked off the worst era of hockey in Sabres history and perhaps the worst for a professional franchise in this city's history. Appreciate what he did with the Bills but the past decade for the Sabres has been more embarrassing than the drought for the Bills and a big reason is his inability to stay out of his own way.

I think trusting this team in the hands of individuals (Murray and Botts) who were highly thought of as hockey up and comers in the front office world is a much bigger reason than vague “meddling”.

He may have found the right people in Granato and Adams

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He actually seems to be enjoying it more these days -- the guy doesn't even miss prospect interviews, which is more hands-on than most owners. He seems to really like getting his hands dirty.

He's a competitive guy so the failures may cause him to want to be more involved, as opposed to less involved. The evidence is there that he's more excited than ever.

That said, I totally agree that he's planning on selling off a share of the team in the not-so-distant future.
Selling a share of one or both teams would help cover cash flow costs of stadium overruns / graft / grift. Plus, given the appreciation both franchises have had, it's not like it would hurt the overall balance sheet. Kinda like a home equity loan in that the net cash-out on the eventual sale is reduced, but it will still be higher than the purchase price.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think trusting this team in the hands of individuals (Murray and Botts) who were highly thought of as hockey up and comers in the front office world is a much bigger reason than vague “meddling”.

Murray is someone who fascinates me because all it should've took was 5 minutes interviewing the guy to see what an absolutely nasty and toxic piece of work he was. I still have no idea why he wasn't fired instantly after the comments he made after the 2015 draft lottery.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Certainly a case can be made that that was a problem as well. Agree regardless that I think we have at least something approaching the right people in charge now.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I am not an accounting expert, but a business can be cash-flow positive yet operate at a loss from a P&L standpoint if the depreciation expense is significant.

Given the new Bills stadium construction and how the costs are both born, and amortized, The Bills expenses may be significant enough that they do not make a profit in some/all of the next several years.

I think saving the salaries on a dozen people and maybe tax drive the move. The guy isn't spending on the Sabres. He's 3rd lowest in the league on cap. Tell yourself any other lies you want.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Cut those costs, Terry. It’s the only thing you’re good at.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023

At the risk of going too far down the rabbit hole, Terry has been a historically bad NHL owner. The Sabres playoff drought of 12 years (and 0%) under Terry is nearly double the second longest drought (7 years, Detroit).

If I recall correctly, I don't think the Sabres found much stability until Kim was inserted as President of both clubs (2018?) and could be a buffer. But my mind could be playing tricks on me with that one.

I don't want the Sabres to leave. I really like the current iteration of this team. I hope the Pegula's stick around long enough to see this one through. But Terry taking over as team President scares me. Lets not forget that when he bought the team there were a lot of reports of him meddling and leaving Ted Ted Black out very early on. When asked about it he responded with something like "Ted Black does not have a Monopoly on hockey IQ".

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Other than the Bandits, what am I missing? They gave up the Beauts a while back (and of course the PHF is done anyways).
Amerks are part of PSE as well, I believe.

I agree what others have said though. The shutting down of PSE seems to be the bigger story here. I wonder if Terry just wants to outright get rid of the Sabres. The team is worth over $600 million which is way more than he initially paid. He would get well over that if he was to sell it (and even more if there wasn't an agreement in place to keep the team here)

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It is never a good thing when a non-hockey owner holds a position that directly oversees a GM. Always best to have a hockey mind as a buffer between the entity cutting the checks and the entity making personnel decisions.

That said, nothing really changed here. The team traded out Kim for Terry, but I think Terry has always had some influence over Adams and the team's plans moving forward, even if he does not have a direct hand in individual moves.

The fact that that could change in an instant does terrify me though, so I don't see this as great news.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
It is never a good thing when a non-hockey owner holds a position that directly oversees a GM. Always best to have a hockey mind as a buffer between the entity cutting the checks and the entity making personnel decisions.

That said, nothing really changed here. The team traded out Kim for Terry, but I think Terry has always had some influence over Adams and the team's plans moving forward, even if he does not have a direct hand in individual moves.

The fact that that could change in an instant does terrify me though, so I don't see this as great news.
It sure seems like Terry has always been involve, especially since Adams took over as GM.

In almost every embedded since Adams was hired, Terry was either in the war room or KA always made a phone call to Terry letting him know what they were doing..

I don't think this changes anything. KA and Meatballs has earned the trust of the Pegulas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad