Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Maple Leafs | Fri 22-Sep 7:30 PM | TSN4 | Ricoh Coliseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
A little fast forward when Bozak and JVR are gone likely. Make sense? Or...

Hyman Matthews Brown
Komarov Kadri Marner
Marleau Nylander Kapanen

I know which set I want to roll with.

Exactly. Sophomore year is not the time to make major changes in the lineup if they don't have to. Next year they may have a few more wingers to work with (Johnsson, Grundström...).

Marleau Matthews Marner
Hyman Kadri Brown
Komarov Nylander Kapanen

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Is Kapanen seriously a candidate to being sent down? Don't the Leafs have worse players in their lineup? Gonna feel really bad for the kid if he starts in Marlies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Is Kapanen seriously a candidate to being sent down? Don't the Leafs have worse players in their lineup? Gonna feel really bad for the kid if he starts in Marlies.

If he starts the season with the Marlies, he won't be finishing the season there... Its really not a bad option, as Kapanen can really learn to be a dominant player day in and day out.

Right now, he's more of a depth guy in the NHL... with a little more seasoning, he can be a real threat / top 6 player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Asset protection squad has been deployed. They are eagerly studying who can be protected while hostile forces have encircled our camp like a bunch of vultures. This is what happens when teams back out of deals because we scored an off season asset or two. They know we have too many players and are attempting to drive down prices or make us sweat, but, we have a plan. Basically people who deserve to play won't get a chance to play until trades or injury happen. People unlikely to get claimed in waivers will be waived.

Its all we can do. I am pretty sure they expected a couple players traded. Keeping everyone in camp to the end is to mask our favourites.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Anyone thinking Hunter is over rated only has to watch the last couple of games at the amount of talent this team has right now. The amount of talent at the forward positions is dizzying.

I would say it's unfortunate there are only 6 defenceman positions because some of these guys look great. Would it be all that bad to have in your lineup Rosen, Borgman and Dermot as three of your d-men?

Perhaps a trade is coming soon that will free up some spots but I wonder who you target to trade......would it be all that bad that Carrick is traded and we keep some of these new guys?

Safe to say the Marincin era is over and really, is there any room for Polak when we have Borgman who is younger, more mobile and better overall?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Anyone thinking Hunter is over rated only has to watch the last couple of games at the amount of talent this team has right now. The amount of talent at the forward positions is dizzying.

I would say it's unfortunate there are only 6 defenceman positions because some of these guys look great. Would it be all that bad to have in your lineup Rosen, Borgman and Dermot as three of your d-men?

Perhaps a trade is coming soon that will free up some spots but I wonder who you target to trade......would it be all that bad that Carrick is traded and we keep some of these new guys?

Safe to say the Marincin era is over and really, is there any room for Polak when we have Borgman who is younger, more mobile and better overall?

I would say no, it's more of a courtesy try-out like they did with Prust last year

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I seriously hope this is the last of Marincin. He was painful to watch.
Horrible pinches, bad decisions, awful feet.

Time to move on, give others a more serious look here in camp. He has nothing to give

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I'm going to echo everyone's sentiments that I hope that this is the last we've seen of Marincin. Back in 2016, when the Leafs were looking forward to the draft, I was getting a bad feeling in my stomach that we were going to slip to 4th and pick up Pierre Luc-Dubois instead of Matthews or one of the Finns. I'm getting that same feeling about Marincin being on this team and Polak being signed to a one year. But like 2016, I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong. Rosen, Borgman, Dermott look too good out there to be ignored.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Yeah. I think most people agree he's better than Martin and should at least be on our 4th line, but unfortunately Babcock thinks we need muscle more than we need good hockey players

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm going to echo everyone's sentiments that I hope that this is the last we've seen of Marincin. Back in 2016, when the Leafs were looking forward to the draft, I was getting a bad feeling in my stomach that we were going to slip to 4th and pick up Pierre Luc-Dubois instead of Matthews or one of the Finns. I'm getting that same feeling about Marincin being on this team and Polak being signed to a one year. But like 2016, I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong. Rosen, Borgman, Dermott look too good out there to be ignored.

Now I know why your username is hurt. That would have sucked so much

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Had one poor game and one good game in preseason. Given his spot on the depth chart, that's not good enough. He should be one of the best players on the ice at all times, especially at this early stage of preseason where you're playing against half AHL/CHAL lineups. I don't think a full season as the go to guy on a good Marlies team is a bad thing. Assuming next year we lose some forwards to free agency, he should crack the top nine. I would rather that than him playing 8 minutes a night on our fourth line.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Had one poor game and one good game in preseason. Given his spot on the depth chart, that's not good enough. He should be one of the best players on the ice at all times, especially at this early stage of preseason where you're playing against half AHL/CHAL lineups. I don't think a full season as the go to guy on a good Marlies team is a bad thing. Assuming next year we lose some forwards to free agency, he should crack the top nine. I would rather that than him playing 8 minutes a night on our fourth line.

Agreed.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I have no problem starting Borgman and Rosen as our 5/6 tandem , they both look like Zaitsev 2.0 , Polak will be the 7th , they don't need to play him in these evaluation games they already know what he brings top the team , you didn't see anybody wearing his number in camp did you ? If they were pumping his value to move him he would be playing in these games , the dead weight is Carrick and Moroncin .

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
kapanen's speed alone makes him an NHL player.....but he has more than that.....right now he is a top 6 player on this team..
However unless there is a trade where does he play?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Is Kapanen seriously a candidate to being sent down? Don't the Leafs have worse players in their lineup? .

Babcock has his lineup worked out ( except maybe 4th line centre), so kapanen doesn't appear to have a spot..
But comparing him to the other wingers, I think has has more upside that Hyman, Brown, martin,and Komarov....
It should be just a question of time......hopefully anyway..

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i think kappy makes a vast majority of nhl teams, so do others...just sucks for them that we might have the deepest forward roster in the entire nhl...if your a forward, there is zero shame in not making this leafs team

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

95% certain he's being sent down. Not his fault to be honest. Everyone knows he deserves to be in, but there's no room. The only way he can play is if 1) UFAs Bozak or JVR get trade 2) Komarov switches to 4C and allows for a Martin - Komarov - Kapanen/Brown line (Not likely since Komarov is essential for the Kadri shutdown line) 3) Injuries occur.

It's not just him, it's Leivo as well. Even guys like Soshnikov/Rychel/etc who would've made it on older versions of the Leafs team can't be in.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Not Brown.

Babcock has his lineup worked out ( except maybe 4th line centre), so kapanen doesn't appear to have a spot..
But comparing him to the other wingers, I think has has more upside that Hyman, Brown, martin,and Komarov....
It should be just a question of time......hopefully anyway..

I don't agree he has more upside than Brown who has already proven himself and is multi faceted player. I wouldn't cut Brown for Kappanen.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i dont know why babcock never thought about having komarov or hyman play 4C, limited offense, play hard, both skate great, play great D, and great PKers...imo they can play it well, then kapanen and leivo can make team as 12th and 13th forward

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If he starts the season with the Marlies, he won't be finishing the season there... Its really not a bad option, as Kapanen can really learn to be a dominant player day in and day out.

Right now, he's more of a depth guy in the NHL... with a little more seasoning, he can be a real threat / top 6 player.
Right now a depth guy!?

I seriously believe that Kapanen could step into a lot of teams top 6 spots this season and put up 45-50 points...hardly a depth guy. He's 100% ready, we just don't have room..

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Right now a depth guy!?

I seriously believe that Kapanen could step into a lot of teams top 6 spots this season and put up 45-50 points...hardly a depth guy. He's 100% ready, we just don't have room..

Yeah, his one point in 17 NHL games (3 points in 23 if you include playoffs) really prove he's capable of being a 50 point guy :rolleyes:

He averaged nearly 13:00 of TOI/G (~ 1min PP and PK ea) in those 17 games too... not horrible minutes...

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Yeah, his one point in 17 NHL games (3 points in 23 if you include playoffs) really prove he's capable of being a 50 point guy :rolleyes:

He averaged nearly 13:00 of TOI/G (~ 1min PP and PK ea) in those 17 games too... not horrible minutes...

Quality playing time with Brian Boyle and Matt Martin...look at his numbers in the AHL and internationally when he plays with skilled players...

Absolutely he's capable of 50 points this season if he were to play top 6 minutes and pp time.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Quality playing time with Brian Boyle and Matt Martin...look at his numbers in the AHL and internationally when he plays with skilled players...

Absolutely he's capable of 50 points this season if he were to play top 6 minutes and pp time.

The guy hasn't even scored 50 points in the AHL, and you think he'll score 50 in the NHL this season??

Plus, he only played with Martin and Boyle for 8 of those 17 games... The previous season he had significant time with Nylander and Bozak....

I want Kapanen to succeed like any other Leafs fan... but its too early to call/peg him a 50 point guy.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The guy hasn't even scored 50 points in the AHL, and you think he'll score 50 in the NHL this season??

He only played 43 games in the AHL this season. That would be why he didn't score 50 points.

I never said I think he'll score 50 in the NHL this season. That's because I don't expect him to get top 6/9 minutes all season.
I said he could score 50 points if he played top 6 and got pp time all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad