Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Maple Leafs | Fri 22-Sep 7:30 PM | TSN4 | Ricoh Coliseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leivo Aaltonen Dermott Borgman all did themselves big favors tonight. And all could break camp with the team.

Definitely agree.

Was surprised on Aaltonen, probably because of history with guys coming over and looking slow, and/or outclassed/overwhelmed.

He looked like he was capable of moving up the line-up, and brought more skill than a 4th. liner.

Perhaps the Leafs pro scouting staff is getting it?

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Based on performance Dermott definitely deserves a spot in the lineup. But I'm not sure you want him paired with Carrick or another rookie (Borgman, Rosen). And inserting him in the top-4 alongside Rielly is far too presumptuous. I think he's ready for a taste of the NHL. At least 15 games or whatever it is. But no idea who suits him as a partner yet.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Missed the game, but from the game in six Matthews and Willy look to be ridiculously dominant. Shades of Benn and Seguin out there.

Any other notes?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Based on performance Dermott definitely deserves a spot in the lineup. But I'm not sure you want him paired with Carrick or another rookie (Borgman, Rosen). And inserting him in the top-4 alongside Rielly is far too presumptuous. I think he's ready for a taste of the NHL. At least 15 games or whatever it is. But no idea who suits him as a partner yet.

Yes, you don't want with a weak partner, but to avoid that you'd have to pair someone with Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and use Hainsey as the veteran presence with a rookie.

However, I'd be just as comfortable with Dermott - Borgman as Dermott - Carrick, and I think one of those pairings would have a higher ceiling than the other.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Missed the game, but from the game in six Matthews and Willy look to be ridiculously dominant. Shades of Benn and Seguin out there.

Any other notes?

Gotta split up Matthews Nylander ASAP but no place to put him. Need to trade Bozak I feel.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
But we already have 3 lines with a 60-70pt player

Perfect!! That's where you want to be. If these guys start cooking over a PPG we have huge cap issues within 5 years.

Glad finally Leivo is getting respect. I said he was a player. He is a player. Needs a fair shake.

Last edited:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Carrick should be kept. He is one of those defensemen that are 5th/6th but with patience may become a serviceable 4th at his peak. He reminds me of a Gorges/Sarich type guy

I feel like he could be given the Corrado treatment this year.

Dermott, Borgman, Rosen and Holl all looked better than him.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He was fine as a #5 on a weak blueline but now that others have emerged I don't see any room for him. That's a good thing. Was this team ever going to win a cup with Carrick as its #5? Unlikely. I like Carrick too, reminds me of Ian White but at this point in time, with all this depth, its hard to find a spot for him.

I agree that I don't want him on our Leafs contending team. But not because he's not good enough for a bottom pairing role, but because we need a bottom pair that can also play PK. I actually think hed be a good #5 on a team that doesn't need him to PK.. That would mean Zaitsev (RD), not-Liljegren (RD), Dermott (LD), Rielly (LD) need to play PK. That non-Liljegren has to be whoever plays 3rd pair RHD.

Why do I think he should be on the team this year then? Only because I don't believe anyone else has shown enough to play that 3rd pairing D role yet other than Dermott. Rosen and Borgman have been decent but they're not ready yet for the NHL gig despite playing overseas already.

I agree with SpeDaVE about Borgman. It felt a lot like Dermott was boosting Borgman as he was lost quite a bit. One season in the AHL and he should be a NHL regular with us for the long term future.

Borgman was good and had a couple really good moments but there were times in his own zone he was just skating aimlessly. He's all over the place, which is not always good since that makes him out of position. Shilton and someone else tweeted out that Borgman had to be directed by Dermott almost all night since he was lost in his zone.

I think Borgman could use sometime with the Marlies, especially since he's still pretty young. I think Rosen and Carrick are just better options for us right now.

Marincin is definitely on the outside track though.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Last thing we need is a line with 2x 90pts players asking for 10m contracts. No thanks. Give me 3 lines with a 60-70 pts player on each please.

No, the last thing we need is to make the team worse to save 2M on someone's contract by ensuring they don't play at their best

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No, the last thing we need is to make the team worse to save 2M on someone's contract by ensuring they don't play at their best

That's not how it works. When you spread talent that can drive lines, you raise the effectiveness of the third line and the team does not suffer. The problem is that 75 pts players make way less then 90pts players. 90pts could be as much as 3m per player more! Let that sink in. We don't have 30m+ because we decided to stack lines and pp and create cap beasts.

The sane approach is to let each kid drive a line and that will be what happen most likely.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes, the Penguins regret those Cups.

Let's not worry about points and contracts, let's concern our selves with winning Cups.

The penguins literally did what I am talking about playing Crosby with plugs and Malkin on his own line s well. Why would they load a single line??

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That's not how it works. When you spread talent that can drive lines, you raise the effectiveness of the third line and the team does not suffer. The problem is that 75 pts players make way less then 90pts players. 90pts could be as much as 3m per player more! Let that sink in. We don't have 30m+ because we decided to stack lines and pp and create cap beasts.

The sane approach is to let each kid drive a line and that will be what happen most likely.

as much as I would love for Bozak to GTFO of the Leafs roster... your theory will still be problematic as it would still be duo i.e. either

Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Marner

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
With all the venom I've been spewing the last two or so years about the Leafs ALL of which was justified last night game was a F'in pleasure to watch! The Leafs played like a real team should. The bigger guys on the back end made a big difference, gap control was very good, the forecheck was relentless and almost perfect, and in the D end wow they won almost every puck battle . its was SO nice to see the Leafs play so well, I really hope they can be consistent this year, I'm SICK of putting this team down all the time.

Really? Less than half of the Leafs and most Sabres players aren't going to be on the roster on 4-Oct :laugh:

The Leafs are on the uprise and plenty to be positive about but I'm baffled as to how you came up with that assessment based on one game last night.

Seen tonight's preseason lineup yet? Let's see if you still feel the same after the game ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ignore him. He thinks splitting them up will reduce their next contracts. Asinine.

You think that points have nothing to do with contract? Curious. I want your honest answer please because your position currently is that it is preposterous to think that point production is directly related to contract values.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You think that points have nothing to do with contract? Curious. I want your honest answer please because your position currently is that it is preposterous to think that point production is directly related to contract values.

I agree. We should really be playing Matthews on the 4th line of the Marlies so his contract ask will be even less.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree. We should really be playing Matthews on the 4th line of the Marlies so his contract ask will be even less.

That is outlandish. Pits however used Kessel Malkin and Crosby on L1 L2 and L3. There is a legit reason to split them up and contracts absolutely are a side reason. Why do you even think it was Hyman over say JVR? I think people here are wet behind the ears sometimes. Marner Nylander Matthews are three line drivers and as suck will likely always have their own line.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Komarov Kadri Nylander
Marleau Gauthier Brown

A little fast forward when Bozak and JVR are gone likely. Make sense? Or...

Hyman Matthews Brown
Komarov Kadri Marner
Marleau Nylander Kapanen

I know which set I want to roll with.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
That is outlandish. Pits however used Kessel Malkin and Crosby on L1 L2 and L3. There is a legit reason to split them up and contracts absolutely are a side reason. Why do you even think it was Hyman over say JVR? I think people here are wet behind the ears sometimes. Marner Nylander Matthews are three line drivers and as suck will likely always have their own line.

The reason PIT plays Crosby, Malkin, Kessel on different lines is because Kessel has no chemistry with either. Crosby and Malkin are both centers so it makes no sense for them to play together. Nylander might be a center in the future but right now he just isn't. He and Matthews have great chemistry, why break that up right now? It's silly to hurt the team to maybe save a few hundred thousand on contracts. We want a cup, that's the goal don't forget. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad