TBN: Sabres Mailbag: Will Jason Botterill make a significant trade?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres Mailbag: Will Jason Botterill make a significant trade?

LL = Lance Lysowski. He's a Pittburgh import and Botterill backer.

Garry Marr: Is it likely this is a holding year for the Sabres, with no major moves coming?

LL: The Sabres are stuck. Botterill currently has no cap space and will have a difficult time trading Bogosian or Rodrigues. Memo to players: leaking to reporters that you requested a trade will only make it more difficult for your team to move you. The only realistic way to potentially add an impact forward this season is by trading Rasmus Ristolainen or Brandon Montour. Botterill is unlikely to part with either player, unless the return is massive.

Trading either defenseman before the deadline could be catastrophic to their blue line, and Botterill won't be in the market for a rental. He has said multiple times he prefers young players with years of control, much like the trade that landed Montour last February.

The trades for Vesey and Frolik contradict the years of control theory and added $6.6M to the cap

John: Do you think Rasmus Ristolainen will be traded before the deadline?
LL: No. Ristolainen is finally realizing his potential.

I agree.

Jim: Are there any goalies who could be brought in to replace Carter Hutton?
LL: Contenders aren't exactly champing at the bit to trade a good goaltender. The New York Rangers are reportedly shopping Alexandar Georgiev, but they're likely searching for a second- or third-round draft choice. Plus, the Sabres can't move Hutton's contract. They won't place him on waivers with the intent to send him to Rochester.

Why not? If you're serious about winning you would. Georgiev is making less than $800k. Maybe Botts shouldn't have been so eager to trade for Frolik.

John Hollingsworth: Why do the Sabres continue to scratch defenseman Colin Miller?
LL: When asked this question before the game Sunday in Detroit, Krueger told the media that Miller has struggled to adjust to the new system in Buffalo. The example Krueger used was that some defensemen are used to playing strictly man-to-man defense, while the Sabres have different assignments closer to the net. One week earlier, Miller described the situation differently to me.

Miller hasn't felt comfortable having to play with different defense partners. He hoped the Scandella trade would allow the Sabres to settle on one lineup, but that hasn't happened. Miller is a player who needs continuity, so this isn't a great situation for him. The Sabres will continue to rotate their eight healthy defensemen until Krueger finds the mix he thinks gives them the best chance to win.

The Sabres need to make it work with Miller. He's a talented defenseman under contract for two more seasons at an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. The Sabres gave up second- and fifth-round draft picks to acquire him from Vegas. That's a pretty significant price tag for a player having a difficult time carving out a role.

It's on Krueger and his assistant coach, Steve Smith, to get the most out of Miller. His physical tools are among the best on the roster.

Krueger and Smith did their job by rehabilitating Ristolainen. This is on Botterill for trading for 2 RHD in the offseason and not being able to make a deal to unload one.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Read this earlier, should be fun when analytics twitter reads this and notices that Reinhart's name has been omitted

Ristolainen is part of the solution. He was tired of losing, much like Ryan O'Reilly, and Ristolainen put in the work to make sure he would return to Buffalo a better player. The Sabres should be building around Ristolainen. I think Botterill should move a significant player on the current roster to bring an impact forward to Buffalo, but Ristolainen is one of five Sabres whom I would refuse to part with. The others are Dahlin, Jack Eichel, Jeff Skinner and Victor Olofsson.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Read this earlier, should be fun when analytics twitter reads this and notices that Reinhart's name has been omitted
Don't mean to thread jack this or anything but i agree unless the price tag is an overpayment i wouldn't move reinhart or risto, i just have a gut feeling that those 2 players have another gear when we get to the playoffs.

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
Don't mean to thread jack this or anything but i agree unless the price tag is an overpayment i wouldn't move reinhart or risto, i just have a gut feeling that those 2 players have another gear when we get to the playoffs.

Yeah, first gear on their mobility scooters when they're collecting Social Security.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Jeff Skinner is the stranger name on there.

It’s great that the writer would refuse to part with him, cause the rest of the league would refuse to take the contract lol

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

What on earth would give you any inkling that Sam Reinhart has another "gear"?

Reactions: DJN21

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The trades for Vesey and Frolik contradict the years of control theory and added $6.6M to the cap

I agree.

Why not? If you're serious about winning you would. Georgiev is making less than $800k. Maybe Botts shouldn't have been so eager to trade for Frolik.

Krueger and Smith did their job by rehabilitating Ristolainen. This is on Botterill for trading for 2 RHD in the offseason and not being able to make a deal to unload one.

A GM can prefer younger players under team control (don't most?) but that doesn't mean every move has to be for those players. If you can't get the players you want and still have holes to fill, I don't mind the cheap route and acquiring pending UFAs for next to nothing.

I agree with you about Ristolainen. I didn't want to trade him before, and now he's showing many armchair GMs why. Fun times would be to re-post all the "Risto for garbage", "addition by subtraction" posts. It would be ten pages of proof why posters aren't as smart as they portray themselves around here.

Hutton isn't ruining this team's season. They have other problems, and Krueger has limited his starts in favor of another player (Ullmark) that fans wanted to ship out for pennies back in Oct-Nov.

As for Miller, Botterill traded for him first. He didn't have Jokiharju and Ristolainen was grumbling. The trade itself wasn't bad - it certainly filled a need at the time, and the Jokiharju trade has to happen under any circumstance, despite the Miller trade. Botterill hasn't found a better remedy for the RHD logjam since though, and that probably chalks up to cap issues around the league. He might want to save Miller for a bigger trade in the summer (the kind that gets the player he wants, not the cheap route), if he indeed wants to keep Risto and Montour (which he should).

I'm sure relative in-action around the TDL, other than trading a few pending UFAs, will further infuriate fans. Next summer is the litmus test for me. Intentional or not, specifically waiting for that time period or simply waiting on other GMs to be more flexible, next summer is shaping up to be the time for Botterill to make big moves. Obviously he can't go into next season with no significant upgrades at FW, and the organization can't afford trading away 1st rd picks either.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Other questions that were asked
Should we be concerned with Rasmus Dahlin's lack of progress defensively?
LL thinks he's made significant progress. I agree with that.

Is Jack Eichel going to request a trade if the Sabres can't eventually find a way to win?
LL said nice things about Jack. Didn't really answer the question. I don't blame him. Nothing good can come for LL by diving into that quagmire. Leave it for Harrington. :laugh:

When will Krueger solidify who plays on Eichel's wings?
LL says Reinhart is there to provide continuity. He'd prefer Skinner to Oloffson but says that coaching staff wants a defensive presences on the line.
First time I've ever heard Olofsson called a defensive presence. I think LL is making things up. Now he's happy with Girgs on Eichel's line.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
When will Krueger solidify who plays on Eichel's wings?
LL says Reinhart is there to provide continuity. He'd prefer Skinner to Oloffson but says that coaching staff wants a defensive presences on the line.
First time I've ever heard Olofsson called a defensive presence. I think LL is making things up. Now he's happy with Girgs on Eichel's line.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Other questions that were asked

First time I've ever heard Olofsson called a defensive presence. I think LL is making things up.

His defensive game has been stronger than his offensive game IMO. Though I don't agree with him when he says Skinner should be there instead of Olofsson, if anything Reinhart needs to be bumped to the second line.

Reactions: Grinder81

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
While there's a logjam at defense its clear risto has improved and Miller has not met expectations.

Had botterill gone the desired path of many fans risto would have been traded for whatever and Miller would be in every night.

The desired path was to get forward help, particularly a middle 6 center.

Botts could have done that by trading for Haula instead of Miller. Risto wouldn’t have to get traded and Miller wouldn’t have to sit because he wouldn’t be here.

It’s amazing how much the better the offseason would have looked with that one simple change.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The desired path was to get forward help, particularly a middle 6 center.

Botts could have done that by trading for Haula instead of Miller. Risto wouldn’t have to get traded and Miller wouldn’t have to sit because he wouldn’t be here.

It’s amazing how much the better the offseason would have looked with that one simple change.

Soderberg is the other actual center candidate who went for a manageable return.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I’m still baffled by Botts first move this offseason being the addition of Miller. Adding a 4/5 RHD was not a need.

In hindsight the Miller acquisition has not worked, but at the time:
- Risto requested a trade
- Bogo just underwent surgery
- We hadn't traded for Joker yet

Assuming a Risto trade happened, our RHD depth chart to open the season was
1) Montour
2) Borgen
3) Nelson

I'm by no means a Miller fan, I was one of the few pumping the breaks in what was overwhelming fan excitement. However, acquiring someone with good metrics to see if he could excel in a bigger role is a move that made sense at the time.

How many times have they assumed a young guy can step into a role or take a step forward, then when he doesn't we're stuck with a huge hole in our roster and everyone is flamethrowing the organization. This time we took multiple swings and got more hits than anticipated. The roster imbalance is frustrating, but I'm angrier that he wasn't able to move Risto or Bogo to solve the logjam at defense and cap issues.

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Soderberg is the other actual center candidate who went for a manageable return.
Haula
Soderberg

Burakovsky
Gusev

one from each would have looked a lot better than miller/vesey. But the question now is who will be in that situation next year? Fla? Chicago? To?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Haula
Soderberg

Burakovsky
Gusev

one from each would have looked a lot better than miller/vesey. But the question now is who will be in that situation next year? Fla? Chicago? To?

One or both of Barrie and Ceci, both UFA, will probably be gone from Toronto next year. I could see them trading a winger for RHD this off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad