Dreger: Sabres looking to add both a top 6 and bottom 6 forward

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Bjugstad for Scandella?

Not a bad idea, but I think the extra year on Bjustad's contract kind of kills it. The Sabres aren't exactly flush with cap space, and we've got a lot of guys to re-sign this summer. We need our expiring contracts to expire.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Buffalo has 8 or 9 NHL capable defenders, what would they need a 10th for?
Smith has been playing F this year and doing an ok job as a 4th liner.

Don't think you'd want him, but I think that's what this guy was getting at.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Rodrigues and a pick for Toffoli?
Toffoli has lost his scoring touch the last couple years, and is an upcoming UFA.

Rodrigues adds speed, position versatility and is an RFA at season’s end.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not a bad idea, but I think the extra year on Bjustad's contract kind of kills it. The Sabres aren't exactly flush with cap space, and we've got a lot of guys to re-sign this summer. We need our expiring contracts to expire.

Buffalo can take space in 2021 with Dahlin in low contract. The isdue is contract in 2022 and on. Buffalo appears to have about $10M in space thrn. More next year.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
i don't understand all these people saying hall + wood

hall is a walking injury concern that's never won anything and wood is dumber than a sack of bricks. i wouldn't want either of them tbh

i would take toffoli as a stop gap until some of our younger guys are ready, but i wouldn't want to give up more than a 3rd round pick unless LA wanted to throw in someone like grundstrom

2nd + 4th + rodrigues = toffoli + grundstrom

maybe make that 4th a conditional 2022 3rd if grundstrom plays 50+ games

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Bottom six forwards? Vancouver can help with that!

Leivo, Baertschi, Sutter, Eriksson, Goldobin, Schaller, Beagle and Motte could all be had....so long as no other bottom six forwards come back.

Last edited:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Rodrigues and a pick for Toffoli?
Toffoli has lost his scoring touch the last couple years, and is an upcoming UFA.

Rodrigues adds speed, position versatility and is an RFA at season’s end.

Not remotely interested in Rodigues, we already have enough redundant crap on the roster.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

hall is a walking injury concern that's never won anything and wood is dumber than a sack of bricks. i wouldn't want either of them tbh

i would take toffoli as a stop gap until some of our younger guys are ready, but i wouldn't want to give up more than a 3rd round pick unless LA wanted to throw in someone like grundstrom

Way off, Grundstrom isnt a throw in for us and Rodrigues is of no interest.

edit. Bidding for TT hopefully starts at a 2nd + depending on retention and who else is on the market.

Reactions: kingsofLA

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Bottom six forwards? Vancouver can help with that!

Leivo, Baertschi, Sutter, Eriksson, Goldobin, Schaller, Beagle and Motte could all be had....so long as no other bottom six forwards come back.
The Canucks can afford to trade 1-2 of these and would be looking for draft pick.

Reactions: Cogburn

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Eriksson is your man.

Getting paid as top 6 forward but plays as bottom 6 forward

member 88115

Buffalo:
Toffoli @ 50%

LA:
Rasmus Asplund or William Borgen
'21 2nd
LA declines, start with 2020 2nd rounder or Samuelson and them compete with Boston, Islanders, Flames, Oilers, Canucks ect for the best offer. LA can easily retain on Toffoli or take an expiring contract, but the other team has to add to the proposal

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
LA declines, start with 2020 2nd rounder or Samuelson and them compete with Boston, Islanders, Flames, Oilers, Canucks ect for the best offer. LA can easily retain on Toffoli or take an expiring contract, but the other team has to add to the proposal
Borgen and Asplund are both as valuable (possibly more valuable) than Samuelsson. I would rather give up Samuelsson than either one of them. So kind of a weird demand.

member 88115

Borgen and Asplund are both as valuable (possibly more valuable) than Samuelson. I would rather give up Samuelson than either one of them. So kind of a weird demand.
LA has plenty of offensive prospects in like Mike Anderson, Bjornfot, Durzi, Clague in the AHL to add to Doughty, Martinez and Walker (plus we have other kids doing will like Nousianinen, Cole Hults and Jordan Spence in other leagues). LA is in need for a future top 4 defensive prospect with size. So don't LA does not need Apslund. Don't know anything about Borgen, but Samuelson is younger and i like how well defends players with speed as seen him before. LA would also have time to teach him the team system.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Toffoli isnt a stop gap. he is a UFA after the season. a stop gap[ wpuld be someone with 1 or 2 full years left

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Samuelson is not getting trade for a UFa rental He is ED exempt and buffalo will likely be losing a Dman.

Tofilli does not have the value you think he has

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

member 88115

Samuelson is not getting trade for a UFa rental He is ED exempt and buffalo will likely be losing a Dman.

Tofilli does not have the value you think he has
If Marcus Johanson can get 2nd + 4th, Toffoli should get that or more. Toffoli is still making plays on a crappy team. He needs a players with speed to give him more space, something Carter used to give him before his leg injury. Carl Hagelin got the Kings a 3rd rounder last year, while Toffoli who is a much better player at his worst should have no problem getting LA a better pick.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala and Foligno are two guys out of Minnesota, I'd love to look at. Character, skill and toughness with Foligno and speed and skill with Fiala.
Fiala's probably a tempting target because his trade value's relatively low after a slow start in Minnesota. That's also exactly why they're likely to keep him. Maybe it doesn't work out, but they need young guys with his offensive upside. Plus he seems to be settling in a little recently; he's looked good on a line with Koivu.

I don't think Foligno's untouchable, but he's been a good checker and PK'er. It also seems like he's taken on a little bit more of a leadership role on the team, at least among the bottom-6'ers. I think Boudreau in particular would object to him being traded.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
LA has plenty of offensive prospects in like Mike Anderson, Bjornfot, Durzi, Clague in the AHL to add to Doughty, Martinez and Walker (plus we have other kids doing will like Nousianinen, Cole Hults and Jordan Spence in other leagues). LA is in need for a future top 4 defensive prospect with size. So don't LA does not need Apslund. Don't know anything about Borgen, but Samuelson is younger and i like how well defends players with speed as seen him before. LA would also have time to teach him the team system.

Alright, so you just don't know much about the other guys. Understandable given they aren't exactly household names.

Borgen is a defensively minded Dman who is physical and can fight. He's just further along (obviously older) and has looked pretty darn good everywhere he's played, including the AHL. He's becoming a favorite among Sabres fan because he plays such a steady, physical game.

If you were to prefer Samuelsson, it's not some crazy opinion. Was just surprised since he's a similar player who farther along in development and Sabres fans rank slightly higher.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

member 88115

Alright, so you just don't know much about the other guys. Understandable given they aren't exactly household names.

Borgen is a defensively minded Dman who is physical and can fight. He's just further along (obviously older) and has looked pretty darn good everywhere he's played, including the AHL. He's becoming a favorite among Sabres fan because he plays such a steady, physical game.

If you were to prefer Samuelsson (which Borgen has like 3 fights) , it's not some crazy opinion. Was just surprised since he's a similar player who farther along in development and Sabres fans rank slightly higher.
I don't really care about fighting, im looking more at who is best at handling speed and can be a physical presence. Samuelsson is more at the age that can grow with the next generation of Turcotte, Kaliyev and Bjornfot, as I think that is when LA is going to have its turn around. But if Blake feels Borgen is better than Samuelson. Then so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad