News Article: Sabres looking (as an option) to move half of Amerks home games to Buffalo

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Downtown is in the middle of being revived, so you aren't going to convince this Rochester resident. There's close to 1,500 residential units under construction now in the middle of downtown, so it'll be quite different in a year. To deny everything that's going on there is dumb.

You clearly don't know the difference between switching affiliations and moving an entire franchise. The Amerks existed when Portland was affiliated with Buffalo.

I'm not denying everything that's going on. Take the midtown restoration for example. The new building that Windstream is in still has space available. There's also open space available in B&L, Clinton Square, and HSBC Plaza. I don't have a problem with the "revival", but the way the City is going about it all wrong. Sure, build more residences downtown, but wait - where and how will these residents simply get to a grocery store? Car? That's defeating the reason for living downtown, why live there when someone has to travel by vehicle anyway? Forget about families, the Rochester schools are the worst in WNY. They'll need to ship the kids out to either Charter or private schools.

It won't be different in a year. Midtown has been under construction for almost 5 years! The new Chase building apartments? 3 years, at least.

Stop being naive about the "revival" of Rochester and look deeper. There is no quick fix. They should've started at transit and built from there.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm not denying everything that's going on. Take the midtown restoration for example. The new building that Windstream is in still has space available. There's also open space available in B&L, Clinton Square, and HSBC Plaza. I don't have a problem with the "revival", but the way the City is going about it all wrong. Sure, build more residences downtown, but wait - where and how will these residents simply get to a grocery store? Car? That's defeating the reason for living downtown, why live there when someone has to travel by vehicle anyway?

It won't be different in a year. Midtown has been under construction for almost 5 years! The new Chase building apartments? 3 years, at least.

Stop being naive about the "revival" of Rochester and look deeper. There is no quick fix. They should've started at transit and built from there.
There's a lot of empty office space. It's mostly being developed into residential. Chase building for example.

What are you talking about no grocery store? Harts just opened around the corner on East and it's an awesome place. The fact that a grocery store opened downtown tells you what you need to know about which direction it's going.

Also the idea that people don't have a place to park is absurd. Downtown has a surplus of parking there's too much. Not an issue at all.

Midtown has taken too long, of course, but it's nearing completion. I believe resident move in this winter. You also can't discount the loss of Larry Glazer which hampered some things.

Personally I like the direction they're going. It's about getting residents living downtown. Everything else falls into place. For once the city actually is doing it right.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Many areas of the city are doing quite well. A friend of mind put his house up for sale in the southwedge. He sold it in less than 12 hours and above what he was asking.

Downtown itself is really about 2 years away from being entirely different. That, along with the inner loop project, has me pretty excited personally.

Sure, many areas of the city are doing fine and outside the inner loop. But this thread is about BCA and downtown. I've worked downtown (Clinton & Broad) for 12 years. Honestly, how many times have you gone downtown for something that wasn't an event outside of weekday working hours?

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
There's a lot of empty office space. It's mostly being developed into residential. Chase building for example.

What are you talking about no grocery store? Harts just opened around the corner on East and it's an awesome place. The fact that a grocery store opened downtown tells you what you need to know about which direction it's going.

Also the idea that people don't have a place to park is absurd. Downtown has a surplus of parking there's too much. Not an issue at all.

Midtown has taken too long, of course, but it's nearing completion. I believe resident move in this winter. You also can't discount the loss of Larry Glazer which hampered some things.

Personally I like the direction they're going. It's about getting residents living downtown. Everything else falls into place. For once the city actually is doing it right.

I also like the idea of bringing residents downtown, but why would someone want to live downtown? What's going to bring them there? What's the selling point? I think the first step shouldn't have been, "Let's bring residents downtown!" and everything will fall in to place. But wait - what's going to bring them downtown? This is the problem.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This would be silly. Part of the having the farm team in Rochester is that it reinforces the Sabres as a Regional franchise.

Is playing to a 6000 people in Buffalo more profitable than playing to 6000 people in Rochester?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I also like the idea of bringing residents downtown, but why would someone want to live downtown? What's going to bring them there? What's the selling point? I think the first step shouldn't have been, "Let's bring residents downtown!" and everything will fall in to place. But wait - what's going to bring them downtown? This is the problem.

There is incredible demand to live downtown. The vacancy rate is almost 0. People want to live there and that's why developers keep buying up space and turning them into apartments. Every week another building gets announced. Another just the other day at South Fitzhugh and Main.

I go downtown a fair amount. The east end is downtown to me and I'm there all the time. My girlfriend and I love to walk river trail by Corn Hill and through downtown. I go to dinosaur. I go to concerts at Manhattan square Peking and ice skate there in winter. I go to the jazz fest. I enjoy the brewhouse and checking out high falls. There's plenty to do.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
There is incredible demand to live downtown. The vacancy rate is almost 0. People want to live there and that's why developers keep buying up space and turning them into apartments. Every week another building gets announced. Another just the other day at South Fitzhugh and Main.

I go downtown a fair amount. The east end is downtown to me and I'm there all the time. My girlfriend and I love to walk river trail by Corn Hill and through downtown. I go to dinosaur. I go to concerts at Manhattan square Peking and ice skate there in winter. I go to the jazz fest. I enjoy the brewhouse and checking out high falls. There's plenty to do.

Actually, the vacancy rate is not true. The new townhomes behind the new post office across from Hochstein. Still available and have been for a year, at least: https://goo.gl/maps/gs28e

River trail - Outside the inner loop.
East End - Outside the inner loop.
Concerts @ Manhattan Square - Event
Jazz Fest - Event

You have to think as a resident of downtown. Would you walk from Chase to High Falls? It gets a little sketchy. What is there to do in the winter? Jump in the car, and go to the suburbs, heh.

UncleBenny

Nov 17, 2011
Sure, many areas of the city are doing fine and outside the inner loop. But this thread is about BCA and downtown. I've worked downtown (Clinton & Broad) for 12 years. Honestly, how many times have you gone downtown for something that wasn't an event outside of weekday working hours?

I'm down there at least once a week after 5 pm, not including sporting events. Many times multiple times a week. Parts of the city are certainly thriving, the change in the amount of people out in the East End due to new residences there can be seen pretty clearly, and they're only building more stuff over there. It takes a critical mass of people for other retail and services to show up, and this is just starting to happen. Proof is Hart's grocery store, and there is certainly more to follow. Store fronts on East Ave that were vacant for years are all full now. Once Midtown, Chase, those couple buildings DHD is doing on Chestnut, and this proposed Charlotte St development happen, there are going to be a ton of people living over there and I only see this spreading throughout downtown. Density is key, and the city seems to be doing that right. If you lure a bunch of businesses in first without residents, they all go out of business within a year, you have to have people living there first.

The East End certainly spills over the inner loop up to Main St, and a year from now the inner loop isn't going to be there anyway.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'm down there at least once a week after 5 pm, not including sporting events. Many times multiple times a week. Parts of the city are certainly thriving, the change in the amount of people out in the East End due to new residences there can be seen pretty clearly, and they're only building more stuff over there. It takes a critical mass of people for other retail and services to show up, and this is just starting to happen. Proof is Hart's grocery store, and there is certainly more to follow. Store fronts on East Ave that were vacant for years are all full now. Once Midtown, Chase, those couple buildings DHD is doing on Chestnut, and this proposed Charlotte St development happen, there are going to be a ton of people living over there and I only see this spreading throughout downtown. Density is key, and the city seems to be doing that right. If you lure a bunch of businesses in first without residents, they all go out of business within a year, you have to have people living there first.

The East End certainly spills over the inner loop up to Main St, and a year from now the inner loop isn't going to be there anyway.

Why? What's going to bring them in to live there? Everyone is avoiding this question, and is the crux of the Rochester problem.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
This may come off as "pro team elitist," but I honestly couldn't care less if the Amerks moved out of Rochester, partially or fully, to Buffalo. And before every Native Rochester fan gets pissy, look at the facts. How many AHL teams have moved in the past 5 years. Not only affiliation, but some have even left the towns completely. This happens quite frequently, but I think a lot of Rochester fans are still caught up in the days of old when Rochester was its own independent team. I get that some Rochester fans are sensitive about this, but the fact of the matter is that the Amerks exist solely for the athletic and business dealings of the Sabres. If they determine that they'd be better off with moving the team or this is (as most believe) a negotiating tactic, tough luck.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Actually, the vacancy rate is not true. The new townhomes behind the new post office across from Hochstein. Still available and have been for a year, at least: https://goo.gl/maps/gs28e

River trail - Outside the inner loop.
Concerts @ Manhattan Square - Event
Jazz Fest - Event

You have to think as a resident of downtown. Would you walk from Chase to High Falls? It gets a little sketchy. What is there to do in the winter? Jump in the car, and go to the suburbs, heh.

The vacancy rate was 4.9% in 2013 and is likely lower now. Developers wouldn't be building downtown if they couldn't fill apartments.

How is the Genesee river trail not downtown? It literally winds itself through downtown and down the river by Corn Hill Landing. The east end is not outside of the inner loops. Harts is inside. Victoire is inside. And that portion of the inner loop is forever gone. It's downtown.

And why would an event not count? Am I not downtown? What exactly are you looking for? I have you a multitude of things I do there. I'm sorry you don't like the direction it's going. Many people feel the opposite.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Why? What's going to bring them in to live there? Everyone is avoiding this question, and is the crux of the Rochester problem.

Nobody is avoiding anything. It's a national trend. People are moving back to downtowns. Rochester is not an exception. I don't know the actual reasons but it's a fact.

UncleBenny

Nov 17, 2011

Because they want to? Some people want to live in cities, and Rochester is a very affordable option for someone that wants to do so but doesn't want to sell their soul to pay their apartment rent in a place like NYC. There is also plenty of stuff to do downtown to entertain people within walking distance. Not everyone wants to live out in the suburbs with a huge yard to tend to and have to drive to every single thing they do.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Because they want to? Some people want to live in cities, and Rochester is a very affordable option for someone that wants to do so but doesn't want to sell their soul to pay their apartment rent in a place like NYC. There is also plenty of stuff to do downtown to entertain people within walking distance. Not everyone wants to live out in the suburbs with a huge yard to tend to and have to drive to every single thing they do.

Don't get me wrong, I want to live in the city. The negatives just outweigh the positives at this point in time, and have for decades.

UncleBenny

Nov 17, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I want to live in the city. The negatives just outweigh the positives at this point in time, and have for decades.

Which is fine, but hopefully you at least understand that for many others, there are more positives than negatives. Maybe in the future things come around enough that you give it a shot.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
this is just posturing ofc, but if Buffalo got a more affordable alternative (complement/supplement?) to the Sabres full-time I'm sure it'd be supported

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
This may come off as "pro team elitist," but I honestly couldn't care less if the Amerks moved out of Rochester, partially or fully, to Buffalo. And before every Native Rochester fan gets pissy, look at the facts. How many AHL teams have moved in the past 5 years. Not only affiliation, but some have even left the towns completely. This happens quite frequently, but I think a lot of Rochester fans are still caught up in the days of old when Rochester was its own independent team. I get that some Rochester fans are sensitive about this, but the fact of the matter is that the Amerks exist solely for the athletic and business dealings of the Sabres. If they determine that they'd be better off with moving the team or this is (as most believe) a negotiating tactic, tough luck.

you're right, it does come across as "pro team elitist"

the amerks have more history attached to them than the sabres and lots of lifetime, loyal fans to go along with it. taking the team out of rochester might not hurt the team financially, but it would be a big a-hole move, especially given the current attendance figures, which are far from bad considering how the team has performed in recent years.

even if it's an idle threat, team relocation is at the top of the list of things you shouldn't threaten fans with unless it's a serious possibility. because this is almost definitely posturing on behalf of the organization, it comes across as a bit petty...and i'm not much of an amerks fan to begin with

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

No one is arguing that they aren't at the mercy of the Sabres. They are arguing that moving such an historic franchise out of Rochester would be a totally ****** thing to do. and why shouldn't Rochester fans be caught up in their history? It's their team and it's their town. They should be sensitive about it.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Like I said, people who have opinions like sjci are completely revolting. I can't imagine what it must be like to think "tough luck" for a city and its fans to lose a historic franchise. I would never root for any fan of any team to ever lose their favorite team. It's especially sad because Rochester has supported the Sabres for decades, to the point where they may not exist to this day of it wasn't for the fan and corporate support from Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It won't be happening next season

However, Black said in a statement Wednesday that the Amerks will play their usual 37 regular-season games at Blue Cross Arena in the upcoming season. The AHL schedule will not be released until August. The season begins Oct. 9.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Thats a bit harsh and short sighted.

Having a vibrant AHL franchise affiliated with the Sabres in Rochester is whats best for both. It helps feed the regional aspect of the Sabres franchise. We also don't have the money or interest level to adequately support an AHL franchise along with the Sabres in Buffalo.

Its obviously a last resort type of thing thrown out there during earlier talks. Something the Sabres would prefer not to do but they put out there is one option among others to resolve the situation short term.

Warren met with Buffalo Sabres President Ted Black and others back in February, and a follow-up meeting is in the works. Their discussion was less about moving games, she said, and more about possible upgrades to Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester Community War Memorial. The Sabres say downtown Rochester is where their American Hockey League team should play, but made it clear that moving games was an option. A marketing consultant's report on potential arena upgrades is expected in the next month.

Sounds like the improvements will be based on ways to bring other things to the arena to increase revenue for the venue. At least thats my take on them waiting for a marketing consultant's report.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's posturing, and the tried and true negotiating through the media.

They're not going to pull the Amerks out of Rochester.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This would be silly. Part of the having the farm team in Rochester is that it reinforces the Sabres as a Regional franchise.

Is playing to a 6000 people in Buffalo more profitable than playing to 6000 people in Rochester?

You would probably get 10,000 in Buffalo, don't you think? I live in Niagara Falls and I would definitely go to some games. You would have quite a few Canadians that you can now draw from.

Like I said before, I like what the leafs done. Can get a ticket to the Marlies if you can't afford the leafs and get to see AHL hockey in Toronto.

I am not trying to upset the Rochester fans and it is nice for them to have the Amerks but I think it would be better for Buffalo. I would love to see Buffalo have a AHL and CHL team too.

I don't want them to move but I think it is a bigger plus if they are playing at First Niagara.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00