News Article: Sabres looking (as an option) to move half of Amerks home games to Buffalo

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Why would they pay for improvements to an arena they don't own?

For the same reason municipalities all over the region maintain sport facilities which do nothing but hemorrhage cash -- for the love of the game.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
For the same reason municipalities all over the region maintain sport facilities which do nothing but hemorrhage cash -- for the love of the game.

Much easier to spend other peoples money.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Business in not your thing.

The second quote war pure sarcasm.

The first quote states a basic fact anyone who has rented commercial space can attest to.

If I want to redo a bathroom or add a large screen TV in my rented commercial space, who does that expense fall on, me or the landlord?

If I have leverage, I can extract concessions from the landlord, of course. Maybe I have the only product that fits his venue, so I got him by the balls. Obviously that is the case in Rochester, so I applaud Ted Black and Co. for finally discovering -- after dumping close to 50 million in stupid contract money -- that hockey is a business and should operate like one.

Bps21*

Someone help me out here... I'm a sabres fan...I've bought tickets and jerseys and shirts... My faucet is leaking...do I sue Terry Pegula directly or...

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Did anyone suggest they would support such a move?

Seems like it to me:

I like what the leafs have done and I think having the amerks in Buffalo would be a positive move for the club but an unfortunate outcome for Rochester

That said, having the Americans (or whoever the farm team is) in Buffalo would be pretty cool.

This suggestions should be balked at from all corners. It's a terrible idea. It comes across as petty and quite small from Buffalo's side.

Bps21*

It's not "Buffalo's side" I don't recall voting on anything or going to a meeting

Bps21*

Whoever you think you might be talking about...they are a part of the ownership/leadership of both the Sabres and the Amerks. There is no us and them...

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Whoever you think you might be talking about...they are a part of the ownership/leadership of both the Sabres and the Amerks. There is no us and them...

Yeah that goes out the window when "they" suggest moving the Amerks out of Rochester. It's insulting and absurd.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I'll accept the move if they change their names from the Rochester Americans aka the Amerks to the Buffalo Almost Canadians aka the Alcans.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yes, the idea of commercial tenants making improvements to the interior of their rental space to drive more business is utterly insane. Got it.

It kind of is insane. The liability/risk involved would be ridiculous. It makes so much more sense to make the owners do it themselves. I'd imagine they asked nicely first and are merely getting this story out to gain leverage. It's not really ideal for either side. With that said, I truly feel for Amerk fans.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yeah that goes out the window when "they" suggest moving the Amerks out of Rochester. It's insulting and absurd.

Because you're clearly not biased or anything. Do I want to move the Americans? No. Would it be neat to have the farm team directly in Buffalo? Yes. But that's because I'm a fan of the Sabres, which you aren't.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
And that fact that anyone in this thread is even hinting at supporting moving a 60 year old franchise an hour down the road just so fans can see some prospects is absolutely revolting.

And to think how you must of felt when they left to Portland.

I think they could get 10,000 a game if they played in Buffalo. I would have no problem if they played in Buffalo. You would definitely get a Canadian crowd to draw from too. I would feel bad for Rochester but I don't see how there is a loss it that scenario outside of upset people living in Rochester.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I think they could get 10,000 a game if they played in Buffalo. I would have no problem if they played in Buffalo. You would definitely get a Canadian crowd to draw from too. I would feel bad for Rochester but I don't see how there is a loss it that scenario outside of upset people living in Rochester.

The Amerks never left to Portland

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Ok to be technical Buffalo moved there AHL affiliation to Portland. Or did I dream that?

The Americans were still a team, just not Buffalo's. Moving the Americans would take the team out of Rochester completely, which has never happened. Like I said, he's an Americans fan, not a Sabres fan. He doesn't care who the parent team is, just that there's a team in Rochester.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ok to be technical Buffalo moved there AHL affiliation to Portland. Or did I dream that?

That happened, but there are many Amerks fans who are fans of the Amerks directly. Most of them are also Sabres fans, but they remained hardcore Amerks fans even when a different NHL team was affiliated with the franchise. Losing the franchise would be way worse from their perspective.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

They might be able to draw 10k in ROC if they had some fancy upgrades. It's fair to say that Pegs wants his boys to have top notch facilities and play in top notch facilities. ROC is not there, he insists that they be so, he lays that responsibility on the appropriate people. I have no problem with this and as much as I'd love the easier access to Amerk games, I hope it doesn't come to that. It may just turn out that because of this financial threat, they make substantial upgrades to the arena, draw bigger crowds and make more money while the sport in ROC becomes more and more popular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad