News Article: Sabres looking (as an option) to move half of Amerks home games to Buffalo

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

owners of the rochester americans told the city during winter lease negotiations that they might relocate half the team's home games to buffalo — a drastic move that will not happen in the 2015-16 season, and mayor lovely warren hopes not ever.

"we will do everything in our power not to allow that to happen," warren said wednesday. "that was the commitment by me to the owners."

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That really screws over fans in Rochester, which is the main market of the team (obviously). I don't really see the benefit of this. Playing some games in Buffalo would be cool, but half is way too many.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Obviously the idea is to let fans in Buffalo see more of our prospects. That said I'd feel bad for the Rochester fans. 10 games certainly seems fairer than 19/38.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Obviously the idea is to let fans in Buffalo see more of our prospects. That said I'd feel bad for the Rochester fans. 10 games certainly seems fairer than 19/38.

Read the article. It's about getting upgrades for the arena to help make the team profitable.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
8th in league at over 6,600 a game.

The issue seems to be the War Memorial ... Sabres want upgrades to be done at the facility.

Oh that's good. My feeling was the Rochester facility was a step above a lot of others in the league, say Syracuse or Utica for example.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
That really screws over fans in Rochester, which is the main market of the team (obviously). I don't really see the benefit of this. Playing some games in Buffalo would be cool, but half is way too many.

I agree. If you are going to play half then you might as well play all(not your point). Move the team to Buffalo or play in Rochester. I like what the leafs have done and I think having the amerks in Buffalo would be a positive move for the club but an unfortunate outcome for Rochester.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I agree. If you are going to play half then you might as well play all(not your point). Move the team to Buffalo or play in Rochester. I like what the leafs have done and I think having the amerks in Buffalo would be a positive move for the club but an unfortunate outcome for Rochester.

Moving the team to Buffalo as an option if that's the way they're leaning. They'd have to look at home much draw the Sabres get from fans in Rochester. If Rochester has a fairly large fanbase for the Sabres, moving the Americans to Buffalo might be a negative. Hard to say, really. That said, having the Americans (or whoever the farm team is) in Buffalo would be pretty cool.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Oh that's good. My feeling was the Rochester facility was a step above a lot of others in the league, say Syracuse or Utica for example.

It is. Syracuse is a disgusting dump. Utica is okay but it's tiny.

The arena needs upgrades but it's not dire. The fact that all 3 of these parties can't figure out how to operate a minor league team in that arena is pathetic.

The city of Rochester probably isn't doing itself any favors and certainly the Sabres come off small and petty.

In the end it's likely posturing but I have little respect for any of the parties with this situation.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
And that fact that anyone in this thread is even hinting at supporting moving a 60 year old franchise an hour down the road just so fans can see some prospects is absolutely revolting.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Can Pegula just buy the arena?

could be strong arming the company who owns the arena for a better deal.... We'll give you this much or we'll move games of your major occupant out of the building.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Move the team to Niagara Falls, build a brand new arena, problem solved.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Yikes! I wouldn't be happy with that. I like being able to go to dozens of cheap Amerks games a year and keep tabs on the progress of the prospects. :rant:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
As long as all Friday home games remain so I can take advantage of the $2 happy hour, I'd be mostly okay with it.... kind of funny this comes up today, because just last week I was talking with a friend about getting some Amerks seasons

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Move the team to Niagara Falls, build a brand new arena, problem solved.
Better yet, move the Amerks to Batavia and put an arena next door to the new Bills stadium. Buy an OHL team and play on Rochester's off nights.

Boom.

Bps21*

I care more about getting to put their games on a local sports network that the Pegulas should start than I do where they play their games.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Even better, stop wasting millions on ****** contracts and improve the arena for the AHL team you bought yourself.

Bps21*

Even better, stop wasting millions on ****** contracts and improve the arena for the AHL team you bought yourself.

Does he own that arena?

Are you....saying...you think he has some little budget and he's wasting his limited resources in the wrong area?

Maybe taking the team away would be okay

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Please rent my house and put in an inground pool, deck and install solar panels for your benefit.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Please rent my house and put in an inground pool, deck and install solar panels for your benefit.

Yes, the idea of commercial tenants making improvements to the interior of their rental space to drive more business is utterly insane. Got it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad