Dreger: Sabres Interested in Jimmy Vesey, A.Nylander could be moved, 31 O.A Will be Moved

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
So, 14 years ago when he was 7 yo he was really good at street hockey?

Even i was good at street hockey at 7 ,What Henrik meant was that he saw some big talent in the two brothers at early age spending much time with the family ,i Think the family lived in Connecticut.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Nylander has more upside even if almost everything goes wrong. Watch the games he played in the NHL last year. Bit of a softy, but consistently made smart plays in all 3 zones.
I won't make any judgement on AN other than to say that he has played a total of 19 NHL games. If he is as talented as you say, why hasn't he been able to break in?
As far as Vesey is concerned, he is a very hard nosed third line winger who will give you around 20 goals and play a very responsible game. He will not show up on any highlight reels, but that really doesn't win teams too many games anyway. Which ever team ends up with Vesey will be pleasantly surprised, as long as they don't have unrealistic expectations.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nylander has more upside even if almost everything goes wrong. Watch the games he played in the NHL last year. Bit of a softy, but consistently made smart plays in all 3 zones.
But that's what I said.... He has more upside.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I've said it before, I'd rather try and pry out Buchnevich instead of Vesey.

There are very few assets that Buffalo has that I'd be interested in, or at least, interested enough to give up an early 20's Top 6 F who seemed to have his breakout at the end of last season

EDIT: And what I might be interested in, I doubt you would

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Go watch the first 5 or so games of this season for NYR and tell me Nylander is already better than Vesey at an NHL level. You might have to pump the breaks there. Nylander obviously has more talent if everything goes right. Nylander obviously has a higher upside. Nylander could end next season the much better player. Nobody is saying that won't happen.
Nylander is extremely talented. Jimmy Vesey is not. They're both soft and have questionable effort. Vesey's defense is bad. I take Nylander over Vesey right now easily.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It’s not “a 1st”, it’s 31st overall.

I doubt you’d be content trading a consistent 16+ goal scorer for a draft pick in the 100s.
Lol. The unicorn of hockey players the 16 goal scorer. Sheary has scored 23, 18, and 14 goals the last three seasons. That pick in the 100's is about what I'd expect in return for him. At last check the 31st overall pick is still in the 1st round, even if it's the last pick of the round.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Nylander is extremely talented. Jimmy Vesey is not. They're both soft and have questionable effort. Vesey's defense is bad. I take Nylander over Vesey right now easily.

Y'all keep saying stuff about questionable effort on Vesey's part, but that's certainly not something I've seen, having watched him since he came into the league. And David Quinn is certainly not the type of coach to give a lazy player 81 games last season.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It's always wise to cherry pick a players worst span and then base their value around that.

But....that's not how it works.

Just saying, a player that dropped off a cliff with increased opportunity in the lineup doesn’t warrant the term “solid offensive player”. His most recent 45 games isn’t a cherry pick. I’m a Rangers fan by the way. I have no reason to devalue him publicly. He just isn’t a very good player.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's fantastic. I'm not saying you shouldn't take Nylander. In fact, I said Buffalo shouldn't trade him for Vesey. What I said was right now (What he's done so far) he is not already as good, or better, than Vesey in the NHL. That doesn't mean you should take Vesey over him.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
and only on hockeys 'future' are fans so quick to bust 21yr olds who have shown some recent growth just to trade them away for a 3rd liner who is UFA in a year. Yes, please, I hope we have the chance to overpay Vesey next summer just to keep him. Awesome asset management.

nothing against the player, it's a dumb target.
and to add, IF Nylander is traded, it should be for an RFA type ala Burakovsky, not JV.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Vesey only has value to Buffalo if they plan on actually being competitive next year. From the perspective that Buffalo is perpetually in the tank and would rather hold on to low-effort players with talent that will likely be on 3 teams in the next 5 years because they could never figure out how to be a pro (like Nylander), then yeah, I guess Vesey has no value to Buffalo.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lol. The unicorn of hockey players the 16 goal scorer. Sheary has scored 23, 18, and 14 goals the last three seasons. That pick in the 100's is about what I'd expect in return for him. At last check the 31st overall pick is still in the 1st round, even if it's the last pick of the round.
Yes, my point was that “a 1st” has no specific value. There is a huge disparity between first and last that doesn’t exist in the following rounds.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I like Vesey as a Rangers fan. Guy gives it all Girardi/Cally style. He wanted to play for NYR. He has good production for a 4th/3rd line guy, can PK, won’t ask for a crazy contract.

Am I the only Ranger fan who doesn’t want to get rid of Vesey?

At this point i dont see the need to get rid of him either. Vesey is not an allstar but he chips in offense from time to time and he has a manageable contract. Rangers defense is a much bigger issue then anything related with vesey

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Now I know you have never watched Vesey play. He is the farthest thing from soft and lazy.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Not sure Nylander has much value. Stuck in the AHL for two seasons for a non playoff parent team.... Not sure if he needs waivers now... But getting close...

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Now I know you have never watched Vesey play. He is the farthest thing from soft and lazy.
I watch 10-12 Rangers games last season. Everytime I remember thinking I wouldn't really want Vesey on my team. And I always pay extra attention to him since he was potentially a Sabre at one time.I mean I guess I could have just happened to watch the games he underpreformed I guess? I doubt it.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I realize he didn't necessarily mean Nylander or 31 would be involved with Vesey, but why the f*** even target a mediocre 3rd liner with one year before UFA.

This should read Zucker, Gourde, or Miller. Better players that are available and actually have term on their contract.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Buffalo fans are severely underrating Vesey IMO. I’d take him over many forwards on that lineup.

He hasn’t put everything together yet, but he is still a kid with a lot of hockey in him that comes to play every night and plays hard. Very different from guys like Eichel, Reinhardt and co in that regard.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Buffalo fans are severely underrating Vesey IMO. I’d take him over many forwards on that lineup.

He hasn’t put everything together yet, but he is still a kid with a lot of hockey in him that comes to play every night and plays hard. Very different from guys like Eichel, Reinhardt and co in that regard.

Theres no need to pay assets for him when there are just as good options in UFA and Vesey will just leave or be overpaid when his contract is up next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad