Dreger: Sabres Interested in Jimmy Vesey, A.Nylander could be moved, 31 O.A Will be Moved

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
He;s already at least as good an NHL player as Vesey and has immeasurably more upside. Vesey isn't good.

I've no doubt that he is a far superior player, but at this stage of his career calling him an NHL player is generous. Vesey is a C- NHLer. Nylander is a prospect.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo fans are severely underrating Vesey IMO. I’d take him over many forwards on that lineup.

He hasn’t put everything together yet, but he is still a kid with a lot of hockey in him that comes to play every night and plays hard. Very different from guys like Eichel, Reinhardt and co in that regard.

There are beer leaguers who play better hockey than some Sabres. Doesn't mean I want them on the team. We need to add good hockey players. Vesey is mediocre at best.

Unless you're interested in trading garbage for garbage (e.g., Sheary for Vesey), y'all can keep him.

Reactions: paulmm3

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Vesey- 3 straight years of 16+ goals.
BUF Fs that can match that- Eichel, Skinner... and that's it.

Vesey goals last year- 17
Goals scored by 3 Fs obtained for Ryan O'Reilly last year- 14

Vesey would have been 4th in goals for BUF last year behind Eichel, Reinhart and Skinner.

Amazing that fans say their team lacks scoring depth, scoff at a guy who can be a 3rd line secondary contributor. He's not a great player by any means, but a team that needs all the help it can get on its middle 6 it makes sense.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Vesey would have been 4th in goals for BUF last year behind Eichel, Reinhart and Skinner.

Amazing that fans say their team lacks scoring depth, scoff at a guy who can be a 3rd line secondary contributor. He's not a great player by any means, but a team that needs all the help it can get on its middle 6 it makes sense.
You forgot about Reinhart. The point is not that Vesey is some terrible player, but rather because he refused to play for Buffalo, which is why this attitude towards him. Well, personally, I would like a player who plays better in defense, Vesey obviously did not succeed in this matter, we already have Conor Sheary, who also just rolls around and sometimes scores goals.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Do people not understand that it make no sense to trade an asset for a guy like Vesey who will be UFA next summer, a guy who already spurned them once and who would likely require a UFA overpayment to stick around? Is that hard to see? Again, nothing against him, but he'd be way down on my list of 'smart' moves to make.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You forgot about Reinhart. The point is not that Vesey is some terrible player, but rather because he refused to play for Buffalo, which is why this attitude towards him. Well, personally, I would like a player who plays better in defense, Vesey obviously did not succeed in this matter, we already have Conor Sheary, who also just rolls around and sometimes scores goals.
Correct, I did miss him. My bad.

Vesey 16 ES goals last year. Sheary 10.

Also, Vesey played over a minute a game on the PK. Sheary played a minute all season.

EDIT: To be clear: I'm not saying BUF should go all out to get Vesey. He ain't all that great, but to dismiss it as "he's not better than what we have" is not true and to bemoan that he shunned you when he came out of college is foolish. Signing your first contract is a big deal and he was in the position to go to his top choice. If after 3 years that place doesn't want him anymore then that changes things.

When BUF entered their tank season the argument was "We have to be the worst team in the league so we can get franchise talent." Ok, so now you have franchise talent. At this point solidfying the rest of the roster should be the priority. If you can do that cheaply, why not?

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think the scoffing is more at the potential higher-than-his-worth price in a trade than the actual player.

I'm sure most Buffalo fans would take Vesey for a late 3rd (But for real this time)

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Correct, I did miss him. My bad.

Vesey 16 ES goals last year. Sheary 10.

Also, Vesey played over a minute a game on the PK. Sheary played a minute all season.

EDIT: To be clear: I'm not saying BUF should go all out to get Vesey. He ain't all that great, but to dismiss it as "he's not better than what we have" is not true and to bemoan that he shunned you when he came out of college is foolish. Signing your first contract is a big deal and he was in the position to go to his top choice. If after 3 years that place doesn't want him anymore then that changes things.

When BUF entered their tank season the argument was "We have to be the worst team in the league so we can get franchise talent." Ok, so now you have franchise talent. At this point solidfying the rest of the roster should be the priority. If you can do that cheaply, why not?

As has already been stated, there are good reasons not to be interested in a player that rejected the Sabres once already, and is up for a new contract in a year.

The price for Vesey would have to be a very cheap one, and certainly not Nylander or a first round pick.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
True.
But:
1)Vesey isn't a D+ player
and
2) Nobody is saying it's a must

Other than that, spot on.

D+ is a bit harsh, sure, but that's for illustration. C is more than fair. And you aren't saying it but you're strongly implying it.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->